Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM

178 posts, read 735,511 times

Advertisements

I was pretty set on moving to Monterey and will
probably still but it's so expensive... even to rent.
I was wondering about the Jamestown Sonora
area. If anyone has been there or lived there
I'd appreciate some insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
Cool Jamestown

My wife was born and raised in Jamestown. I lived there for a few years.
Jamestown and Sonora are incredible. Just high enough to get a little snow fall. They had a pretty severe storm roll thru in 1990. Hot summers and chilly winters.

Jamestown just added their first traffic light ever on the hwy. Small populations about 800 in Jamestown and 2000 in Sonora. Little to no work! The county is a old gold mining community, reverted to logging and lumber. The lumber mill has downsized and will close too soon.

If you wish to work locally watch the obituaries. Most people are commuting to Stockton or Modesto for work. The Highways were not built to handle the traffic that it now gets. The county has a trash problem, very high disposal fees. Often people are just tossing trash in large bags on the highways since it is so expensive.

Pretty good diversity racially. Primarily white and latino with a sprinkle of everyone else. Crime activity has been usually been low in the past, firewood theft, tools stolen and some drug activity. The gangs are making a entry in the last 7 years, extensions from Modesto. Some local kids may idolize the gangs and dress the part. The gangs are thickest around the apartments but not limited to either.

The area is very nicely involved in the arts. Many art galleries and local artists. Folk music is often played live in the many small bars. Several playhouses that are very active.

The towns are oddly mixed. The developers are building many new homes at the $1,000,000 plus levels. Then the older homes range from 250,000 up. Creating a odd separation in the community. New homeowners with wealth in a community of people earning $40,000 a year. Many elderly who have never moved away or moved to the area when they retired.

If you watch Southpark there is a episode that represents Jamestown and Sonora perfectly. The "richies" move into Southpark and quickly take over. The middle class citizens that grew up and never moved away are trying to chase them off. Very low tolerance to anything "different".

My wife and I looked into finding a home to move back up there. Her family is shocked, their thought is "you escaped, why return"? We have realized that the Jamestown we want to return to was 15 years ago before it changed. We are considering Grass Valley now instead.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wife was born and raised in Jamestown. I lived there for a few years.
Jamestown and Sonora are incredible. Just high enough to get a little snow fall. They had a pretty severe storm roll thru in 1990. Hot summers and chilly winters.

Jamestown just added their first traffic light ever on the hwy. Small populations about 800 in Jamestown and 2000 in Sonora. Little to no work! The county is a old gold mining community, reverted to logging and lumber. The lumber mill has downsized and will close too soon.

If you wish to work locally watch the obituaries. Most people are commuting to Stockton or Modesto for work. The Highways were not built to handle the traffic that it now gets. The county has a trash problem, very high disposal fees. Often people are just tossing trash in large bags on the highways since it is so expensive.

Pretty good diversity racially. Primarily white and latino with a sprinkle of everyone else. Crime activity has been usually been low in the past, firewood theft, tools stolen and some drug activity. The gangs are making a entry in the last 7 years, extensions from Modesto. Some local kids may idolize the gangs and dress the part. The gangs are thickest around the apartments but not limited to either.

The area is very nicely involved in the arts. Many art galleries and local artists. Folk music is often played live in the many small bars. Several playhouses that are very active.

The towns are oddly mixed. The developers are building many new homes at the $1,000,000 plus levels. Then the older homes range from 250,000 up. Creating a odd separation in the community. New homeowners with wealth in a community of people earning $40,000 a year. Many elderly who have never moved away or moved to the area when they retired.

If you watch Southpark there is a episode that represents Jamestown and Sonora perfectly. The "richies" move into Southpark and quickly take over. The middle class citizens that grew up and never moved away are trying to chase them off. Very low tolerance to anything "different".

My wife and I looked into finding a home to move back up there. Her family is shocked, their thought is "you escaped, why return"? We have realized that the Jamestown we want to return to was 15 years ago before it changed. We are considering Grass Valley now instead.

Thank you so much. It sounds like a great place to visit but maybe
not to buy a house and settle down in. At least not now with
two kids still home. After junior college they would be making that
drive to finish college and I wouldn't want them on the roads.
I'll have to check into Grass Valley. I've heard nice things about it.
I'm always looking for that place we can finally put down some roots
in. Good luck to you in your search!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:56 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
I knew many people in Jamestown that attended Turlock State, about a 45 minute commute. I still think Jamestown would be great to still live in, but the traffic is thick now. We know the back roads to slip around much of it.

Up the hill a bit is Twain Harte and Miwuk, very nice and less traffic. Some very nice deals on property on Big Hill and Italian Bar. Many elementry schools everywhere, High Schools in Sonora and Somerville. Many people home school.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I knew many people in Jamestown that attended Turlock State, about a 45 minute commute. I still think Jamestown would be great to still live in, but the traffic is thick now. We know the back roads to slip around much of it.

Up the hill a bit is Twain Harte and Miwuk, very nice and less traffic. Some very nice deals on property on Big Hill and Italian Bar. Many elementry schools everywhere, High Schools in Sonora and Somerville. Many people home school.
Oh good. We'll definitly check it out this spring before making
our final decision. I wanted to go see it anyway. I remember
going to Sutter Creek as a child and loving it but Sutter doesn't
have a junior college and Sonora does. Looking forward to
checking it out. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento