Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 7,002 times

Advertisements

This has always been something I've wondered. I know people from the deep south think the south is everything below NC and TN. But even then some people think NC isn't southern. So my question is, are people from TN welcoming of people from KY and VA. Or are they considered yankees?

Old 06-15-2023, 02:42 PM

506 posts, read 1,478,080 times
It's all relative within the states/region. Southwestern VA, Eastern KY and Western NC people and culture are basically indistinguishable from East TN. But someone from Kentucky that is a suburb of Cincinnati may be considered a "yankee" because culturally it is just different.

Old 06-15-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
It's all relative within the states/region. Southwestern VA, Eastern KY and Western NC people and culture are basically indistinguishable from East TN. But someone from Kentucky that is a suburb of Cincinnati may be considered a "yankee" because culturally it is just different.
Or someone from NOVA?

Old 06-15-2023, 06:35 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwil1 View Post
This has always been something I've wondered. I know people from the deep south think the south is everything below NC and TN. But even then some people think NC isn't southern. So my question is, are people from TN welcoming of people from KY and VA. Or are they considered yankees?
Why wouldn't they be? The war between the states is long over, the idea that 'yankees' aren't welcome is very outdated. I've been a yankee in the south for nearly 40 years and have never felt unwelcome because of it.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,338,581 times
Quote:
This is an outmoded idea. Dollywood, Grand Ole Opry accepts anybody.

Most of VA was in the Confederacy. Parts of KY too. To the extent Civil War battles were fought in these states is no problem. You may even find plenty of soldiers from the region.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:04 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,405,904 times
I have lived in Tennessee for the past 6 years and the only time I hear anyone say 'yankees' they are talking about baseball.
I have also lived in Arkansas and Florida (Jacksonville and Pensacola) as well as Tennessee. It has been my observation that people here really are not worrying about who might or might not be a 'yankee'.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,253,478 times
Eastern TN isn't "Southern", it's "Appalachian", just like NC, KY, and VA. Did you know eastern Tennessee sided with the North during the Civil War? The eastern section actually tried to secede from the state. Their attempt was rejected by the state government, who then, without feeling a hint of irony, immediately turned around and seceded from the USA.

Western and central TN (excluding Memphis and Nashville) is absolutely southern, and rebel battle flags are still flying. But they don't think in terms of north vs south these days. They've changed the "them" in their "us-vs-them" thinking to big-city or Washington Liberals.

So the ultimate answer is, no, most in TN don't consider people from KY or VA to be "yankees", and they will welcome you if you think like them.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:15 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Where do you live cwil1 and does your state welcome people from TN or are they considered hillbillies?

Old 06-16-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where do you live cwil1 and does your state welcome people from TN or are they considered hillbillies?
South-central KY. Right on the KY/TN border. And of course. They're just like us down here in southern KY. Same culture really.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:59 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
South-central KY. Right on the KY/TN border.
So does KY welcome those from other states or consider them Yankees or hillbillies?

Personally, I see no difference between southern KY and TN. There are some pretty rural areas of KY, probably more so than TN and those I know from KY are very much like those I know from TN. I do not know anyone from VA nor have I visited that state so I have no opinion on that.

Having lived in TN for over 40 years, Ohio prior to that, I have found that TN is home to individuals with a diverse set of beliefs and opinions most of which are welcoming of every individual based on their character regardless of which state or country they originated from, their race or culture, political views or sexual orientation. Are there some aholes in TN, sure, but it is pretty much like every other state in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: