Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 7,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So does KY welcome those from other states or consider them Yankees or hillbillies?

Personally, I see no difference between southern KY and TN. There are some pretty rural areas of KY, probably more so than TN and those I know from KY are very much like those I know from TN. I do not know anyone from VA nor have I visited that state so I have no opinion on that.

Having lived in TN for over 40 years, Ohio prior to that, I have found that TN is home to individuals with a diverse set of beliefs and opinions most of which are welcoming of every individual based on their character regardless of which state or country they originated from, their race or culture, political views or sexual orientation. Are there some aholes in TN, sure, but it is pretty much like every other state in that respect.
Generally people here are cool about that sort of thing. I'm from barren county. The most people do here is rib you about your ''northern accent''. But other than that we are very welcoming. And no, we don't call anyone hillbillies. Because we are hillbillies ourselves, lol.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:15 AM

36,655 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwil1 View Post
Generally people here are cool about that sort of thing. I'm from barren county. The most people do here is rib you about your ''northern accent''. But other than that we are very welcoming. And no, we don't call anyone hillbillies. Because we are hillbillies ourselves, lol.
I'm curious why you would think TN or any other state would feel differently?

Old 06-16-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm curious why you would think TN or any other state would feel differently?
I've read a few tweets from people from TN calling Kentucky a "yankee" state, lol. But, hey, that's twitter for you.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM

33 posts, read 30,628 times
Guess when I get down there they will do what Texas did to me. They just called me Boston

Old 06-16-2023, 01:57 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,269,172 times
I think this has more to do with regional identity than state affiliation. Folks who grew up in Memphis will likely view people from the Tri-Cities, Boone, Hazard or Clinch Mountain as somewhat different than them (aka mountain folk).

Similarly, being an old mountain folk myself, I've met people from rural Ohio who had a lot in common with how I grew up. Those folks are similar to me, way more than someone from coastal North Carolina or Paducah.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,255,563 times
Quote:
I've read a few tweets from people from TN calling Kentucky a "yankee" state, lol. But, hey, that's twitter for you.
Ok, there's your problem. You actually believed something you read on twitter. Even worse, you took "a few tweets" to imply their opinion was shared by a statistically significant percentage of the population.

You can literally pick any obscure, off-the-wall, and incorrect opinion, then search twitter and find "a few tweets" agreeing with this opinion.

So again, the overwhelming majority of people from TN don't consider people from VA or KY to be "yankees".

Old 06-18-2023, 08:56 AM

715 posts, read 303,591 times
Quote:
This has always been something I've wondered. I know people from the deep south think the south is everything below NC and TN. But even then some people think NC isn't southern. So my question is, are people from TN welcoming of people from KY and VA. Or are they considered yankees?
This is like a question that someone that grew up watching "Dukes of Hazard" would ask.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
This is like a question that someone that grew up watching "Dukes of Hazard" would ask.
haha

Old 06-19-2023, 01:51 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
The west side of Virginia is lovely. Driving up and down I-81 between I-40 and I-66 is my favorite long drive because of the scenic farmland and forests especially when you leave TN and get welcomed (via sign) into Virginia.

The Virginia area around the DC beltway and I-66, however, is a nightmare. Talk about milking a road construction project. It's been going on for years. I do it every year in April and May, traveling on weekends to get to Delaware and it's the most stressful part of my vacation. Everything they do makes it worse. Next year I'll add hours to my trip just to avoid it and go through the tunnel (Va to MD). I don't consider those people in Northern Virginia to be southern. In my opinion, they are feds and fed contractors from all over the country temporarily there for their last job before they retire. Wouldn't live in that part of Northern Virginia if you paid me. Have to wonder about the people who do like it. Must be city types to put up with that traffic.

Note: I used to be a DC fed (moved out in 2007, was there for 12 years) before I retired but lived in MD in Anne Arundel County. Now I don't even recognize that county or the town I lived in.

I like the parts of Kentucky I have been in for work and pleasure. I live closer to the Kentucky border than I do to parts of Tennessee. If I had to move again, for whatever reason, I'd consider Kentucky. I would definitely look at voting maps to help make my decision.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:57 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
It's all relative within the states/region. Southwestern VA, Eastern KY and Western NC people and culture are basically indistinguishable from East TN. But someone from Kentucky that is a suburb of Cincinnati may be considered a "yankee" because culturally it is just different.
Look at an election map. East Tennessee is red. Ashville NC is loaded with Northeasterners and others from big cities...and that was true 16 years ago. It must be much worse, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: