Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are in our early 50's and currently live in NYS. We are both conservative and fall into one of the smallest ethnic-groups in Eastern TN. We would like to relocate to the north eastern portion of TN but, we are not sure if our ethnicity would cause any issues in finding a Church or just fitting in. I have looked at arears in Tazewell, New Tazewell, Maynardville and, Sevierville. We like the mountains and hope we can find a place that will like us too. Any thoughts on these areas or any others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 01:14 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You really need to provide more details about what you are wanting.

Sevierville is the gateway to the whole Smoky Mountains tourist areas. The traffic is terrible. It's not bad otherwise, but I'd hate to be dealing with the traffic in the area. It is not "in the mountains" - more in the foothills ten to twenty miles out.

Maynardville is at least reasonably close to Knoxville, but you will be going to Knoxville for pretty much anything. There isn't a lot there.

I used to travel through New Tazewell and Tazewell fairly often. There's not much going on in Claiborne County - it's very isolated. Most of the shopping is going to be in Harrogate or Middlesboro, KY.

Sevierville is going to be the "most happening" of these places, but you need to know going in the pros and cons of living in a touristy area. The other three have very little going on, but at least Maynardville is close to Knoxville. Claiborne County is a haul to anything meaningful. All of them are hard to recommend.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:34 PM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
Let me guess, Kerguelen Islanders. Wow, you're going to have it rough. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:59 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
It might help if you told us what kind of church you prefer.

Looks like you want a small town, possibly inexpensive. I would look at towns surrounding Oak ridge, because people from all over the world work there.

Kingston, Harriman, Lenoir City?

Old 03-30-2023, 10:14 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
We need more information on church, but likely, yes, you are going to feel a bit isolated in Northeast TN. East TN is heavily white evangelical (particularly Southern Baptist). I grew up Catholic in a small town in East TN and it was a very small church with mostly Italian-American or Irish-American transplants to the region.

We really need more info on what you are looking for because those towns/cities are not alike at all. How big of a town/city do you want? How close do you want to be to a more metro area? Other than being in the mountains, what else would you like, i.e. what amenities, rivers/lakes, hospital nearby, etc.?

Old 03-30-2023, 07:06 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
This isn't a PC question, but it could also help to know how you self-identify. Different groups of people will be accepted in differing ways in Northeast TN, especially in towns that you're considering like Tazewell and Maynardville. Sevierville, less of a problem, it's a big town with a variety of people.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjenx View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are in our early 50's and currently live in NYS. We are both conservative and fall into one of the smallest ethnic-groups in Eastern TN. We would like to relocate to the north eastern portion of TN but, we are not sure if our ethnicity would cause any issues in finding a Church or just fitting in. I have looked at arears in Tazewell, New Tazewell, Maynardville and, Sevierville. We like the mountains and hope we can find a place that will like us too. Any thoughts on these areas or any others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried googling churches in the area you are looking at, like churchfinder?

Old 04-05-2023, 08:01 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
Growing up in Nashville, I had never even heard of Tazewell, Tennessee. When I started traveling Upper East Tennessee on business, I found Tazewell to be a surprise--and home of 32,000 people. It's 10 miles south of the Cumberland Gap and tucked up behind Norris Lake. It's about an hour out of Knoxville.

But if I was looking to move to the region, I would prefer to move east (and over the mountain) to one of the cities along I-81--like Morristown. The population is around 140,000 and it's a retail center for about 300,000 folks. And with the interstate, you can move throughout the region fast.

Another city I prefer is Jonesborough--and the area outside of Johnson City. It's a larger place with better healthcare and East Tennessee State University for culture.

Old 04-07-2023, 05:14 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times
from my observation, most of the people around here are the live, and let live type

Old 04-07-2023, 10:50 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
When I started traveling Upper East Tennessee on business, I found Tazewell to be a surprise--and home of 32,000 people.
Funny how where you grow up changes how you see things. If someone says "Upper East TN" my mind immediately goes to Johnson County, Holston Valley, Roan Mountain. But then again I grew up way east of Tazewell and even east of Morristown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee