Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 12:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

Goodness, where did you wind up, chins?

I'm going to guess Crossville???

It's fair to warn the Ops about your particular community but don't paint the whole state with the broad brush. Besides, your neighbors are just exercising free speech.

My mother retired to a community west of Crossville that's as liberal as they come.

Old 11-14-2022, 02:10 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Let's not act like NC is a "progressive haven" either. Driving through there two years ago and Virginia I saw more Trump signs (the huge banner ones held up by tall metal posts) than anywhere else. I also used to live in NC, and while I enjoyed it, it was as annoying on the left around RTP as I'm sure any conservative place in TN, NC, VA etc. is to a leftist. Extremists are in both camps, and they live everywhere. People need to relearn how to get along with people who don't share their political views. Believe it or not, it seems that more people pick up their intolerance at colleges/universities these days. Just look at the places where free speech is the least welcome now.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Check out Chattanooga. Much less sprawled and soulless than Knoxville, somewhat more affordable than Nashville. It's got a very small but very focused tech and arts scene and downtown Chattanooga is fun. As a plus, you're much closer to Atlanta than anywhere else in TN! (The downside is you're pretty far from Asheville, NC if that is important...)

Old 11-14-2022, 06:08 PM

90 posts, read 122,437 times
I second Chattanooga. I would say it's in the progressive category. I'm building a place in the Blue Ridge Ga area. Over all not progressive like what you might be looking for but we made friends with a bunch of people who are. So you can find people anywhere. But honestly, most people are very friendly and that's very important to me. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:54 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
At least north and east of Knoxville, TN is basically 3:1 Republican, at least. Yes, you can find like-minded people, but they are are small in number, and TN Democrats generally won't be as left-leaning as someone in Philadelphia.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:00 AM

667 posts, read 763,382 times
I find it odd that people would seek a location to live based on local and national politics. Its the quality of life that's important along with affordability. Life is stressful enough without worrying about how my neighbors and friends vote.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:32 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I find it odd that people would seek a location to live based on local and national politics. Its the quality of life that's important along with affordability. Life is stressful enough without worrying about how my neighbors and friends vote.
Yeah, it's bizarre and sad.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Makes sense to me. I relocated from Tennessee to Seattle because I support higher taxes and more stringent social safety nets, and my politics on social issues are much more aligned with a blue west coast state than a moderately conservative southern state.

Maybe you have never found yourself feeling alienated in a place? It can be a sad and lonely feeling. I think it's much better to identify a location that works for you based on what you want, and go for it! Life is too short to live feeling sad about the opinions of the people around you all the time.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I can understand having some kindred spirits around but to avoid a wonderful place because of some neighbors' politics seems so restrictive. But there are more and more state laws that impinge on one's liberties, especially for women and children so I can see that being a concern.

As for safety nets, I can and do support charities and people who provide help.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:27 PM

667 posts, read 763,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Makes sense to me. I relocated from Tennessee to Seattle because I support higher taxes and more stringent social safety nets, and my politics on social issues are much more aligned with a blue west coast state than a moderately conservative southern state.

Maybe you have never found yourself feeling alienated in a place? It can be a sad and lonely feeling. I think it's much better to identify a location that works for you based on what you want, and go for it! Life is too short to live feeling sad about the opinions of the people around you all the time.
Correct, I have never found myself feeling alienated in a place and I have lived in both liberal and conservative majority strongholds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee