Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 02:52 PM

176 posts, read 222,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe not so much towards individuals but yes, there is a lot of ranting and plenty of hateful remarks spewed out in public for anyone who listens. Mostly said by those who think everyone living here in east TN agrees and must be a radical right winger by virtue of (re)location. Fortunately they are easily ignored and there are a lot of other good things about east TN that make up for it IMO.
Having lived in places both dominated by conservatives and places dominated by liberals, my experience and observations have taught me:

Liberals, like everyone else, are treated kindly and politely in conservative areas - for the most part.
Conservatives are treated rudely, aggressively, and sometimes criminally in liberal areas - for the most part.

These observations are backed up on a more macro scale by two things:

1. The mass organized protests you see are rarely conservatives making scenes and forcing families out of restaurants or surrounding their homes;

2. The recent mass exodus of conservatives from liberal spaces. You do not really see the opposite. NY, IL, and CA are not swelling due to the mass number of people moving there.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:35 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe not so much towards individuals but yes, there is a lot of ranting and plenty of hateful remarks spewed out in public for anyone who listens. Mostly said by those who think everyone living here in east TN agrees and must be a radical right winger by virtue of (re)location. Fortunately they are easily ignored and there are a lot of other good things about east TN that make up for it IMO.
We moved here because it's a Red state having lived in NJ for many years.

What breath of fresh air and freedom

There are many, many like us moving to TN.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
Having lived in places both dominated by conservatives and places dominated by liberals, my experience and observations have taught me:

Liberals, like everyone else, are treated kindly and politely in conservative areas - for the most part.
Conservatives are treated rudely, aggressively, and sometimes criminally in liberal areas - for the most part.

1. The mass organized protests you see are rarely conservatives making scenes and forcing families out of restaurants or surrounding their homes;

2. The recent mass exodus of conservatives from liberal spaces. You do not really see the opposite. NY, IL, and CA are not swelling due to the mass number of people moving there.
One thing we loved about TN is that during the year of violent yet peaceful protests you could dine outside (Knoxville in our case) and not be screamed at or attacked by SJWs and that our governor made it clear that there would be no taking over of public property like we saw elsewhere.

Love it!

Old 05-14-2022, 02:11 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,812 times
This is dead on. Conservatives think that liberals have bad ideas that have to be defeated at the ballot box but liberals think conservatives are evil and have to be personally destroyed. Here are two examples that have happened to me in California. I had a new coworker who was a very radical liberal who thought it was his mission to get me fired from my employer because he hated conservatives that much. It probably would have worked if I didn't have a friendship with the CEO. He eventually left for WA since this part of CA wasn't liberal enough for him. I also had an incident at a grocery store where one of the liberal mask Nazi's couldn't accept that I wasn't wearing a mask and followed me around the store yelling at me and then waited outside in their vehicle and tried to run me over as I walked to my car.

If you put a conservative bumper sticker on a car here, you're inviting vandalism. If you put up a political sign in your yard, it'll be stolen and your house will be vandalized in some way if you replace it. If you attend a conservative political rally, you can expect violence directed against you. These things don't happen in both directions. This is life in a one-party state once the liberals take over.

Quote:

Old 05-15-2022, 07:07 AM

146 posts, read 155,122 times
Just moved here from WA for reasons mentioned hear. Nicest people in the world so far, never been called sir so much since the military lol. My wife gets called “miss” and then her name most of the time.

We are 30 minutes south of Nashville in a quiet subdivision in the countryside yet 15 minutes to all the shopping and restaurants we would want, that we aren’t afraid to go to….

We wanted a gated community before we looked here and it’s mostly 2 mil plus to get one, but don’t think you need one to be honest. I have seen a lot of police presence, including top rated schools that are controlled entry with law enforcement staff.

I should also mention we moved our kids into school here, absolutely nicest people we have ever had in a school system work so hard to help us get our kids in. They took the time to tour them, set them up with friends, build their schedules etc. when we left WA we couldn’t even get transcripts without filing some Parchment request and they waited the maximum 10 days by law to provide them when my wife went in…took them less than 5 minutes to provide once they actually did the work.

So far TN is right for us….it is hot and there are bugs….

Old 05-15-2022, 07:36 AM

Sparrow_temp, please bring along some of that red oak and pinquinto beans with a truck full of tri-tip. It's hard to find here. sometimes the carpet baggers from "up north" call it "California Roast" but usually you can't find it. It is getting better though since Costco carries a pre-marinated one, but it just isn't the same as Santa Maria smoked try-tip. No where close.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:20 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,812 times
Yes, that is something about California that I'll miss: tri-tip sandwiches and whatever they do to the steaks here with that red oak.

What's the electrical power situation like in TN? Even places like TX seem to be having power shortages lately; California wins the contest for being completely oblivious to the situation. I always thought TX would be the best place for a reliable electric grid since they sort of have their own independent grid but the ice storm/cold snap that they had there this winter shattered that belief. Since I haven't read anything about rolling blackouts in TN, am I safe to assume that this is not an issue in TN?

Quote:
Sparrow_temp, please bring along some of that red oak and pinquinto beans
with a truck full of tri-tip.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:22 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,878,477 times
Most conservatives want to be left alone. They may disagree with you but they are far more likely to live and let live for those they disagree with.

The recent (past 10 years or so) generation of liberals/left are the opposite. They seek out confronting those on the right and have been encouraged to do so by media, politicians and social media. Clearly these viewpoints are going to come into conflict.

Today's left is completely off the rails. I can't even call them Democrats because they are not. The party ideal of JFK would be a conservative by todays standards. Traditional Democrats/blue collar democrats and classical liberals probably are also alienated in today's left environment for not being extreme enough to the cause.

If you doubt what I'm saying independently look up positions for bill clinton and compare his exact opinions,and political platform to Donald trump are they are almost mirror image but look at how they are perceived.

The right might fly a flag at their house or have a bumper sticker that offends you. That's about as far as it goes. The left will harass you at dinner, confront you in public or try to get you doxed and fired from work and destroy your livelihood and cancel you everyway they can. Totally different mentality.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
Yes, that is something about California that I'll miss: tri-tip sandwiches and whatever they do to the steaks here with that red oak.

What's the electrical power situation like in TN? Even places like TX seem to be having power shortages lately; California wins the contest for being completely oblivious to the situation. I always thought TX would be the best place for a reliable electric grid since they sort of have their own independent grid but the ice storm/cold snap that they had there this winter shattered that belief. Since I haven't read anything about rolling blackouts in TN, am I safe to assume that this is not an issue in TN?
See PMs.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:25 AM
JRR

8,176 posts, read 5,681,763 times
Sometimes It seems like if a thread subject is something like: Do you prefer bacon and eggs or pancakes for breakfast?; it would quickly become about politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee