Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,711,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I'm getting close to buying a small retirement home in the greater Cookeville area. All of the properties I'm considering are in rural areas and have either natural gas or propane gas heating systems. (Two also have woodburning fireplaces.) Some friends are strongly advising me not to buy a home relying on propane gas for heat - none, however, have owned a home that was heated with propane. Any feedback from readers with first-hand knowldege of the propane vs. natural gas issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Frank
hi, i have one here in florida, it is 8 years old, and it has a small leak.

i get it serviced once a year, they checkthe freon level, and usually put it some. my heat pumb is a trane which is one of the best, it also is a 10 seer. be sure you have one 13 which now the new standard. also freon is being phased out, however for repair etc., it will be around for along time. go the trane or carrier web site and read. in mass we had gas heat, however it was cold there in the winter. oh i also have propane for the stove, dryer, and hot water heater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM

665 posts, read 1,928,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I'm not sure about where you live, but here you need cooling as much as you do heating. Well, almost.

A heat pump is okay (it is used for both heating and cooling). Natural gas for heating is okay. The main thing is to get central heat and air. You don't want to use window air conditioner units if you can avoid it. They're inefficient and noisy. Radiant wallboard heating is also inefficient, although many houses from around the fifties and sixties have it.

And a heat pump is electric. It's just more efficient than other ways to heat and cool. They just don't last as long as the old fuel oil furnances used to last.
I live in down the Jersey shore area,I have never have had central air ...lol I have always had window air conditioners,but believe me would welcome central air.Now if I could find a home with central air AND adishwasher 9my kitchens too small for one )I would be a bit happier I thank you very much for ALL your information, you have been very helpul

Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,237,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I live in down the Jersey shore area,I have never have had central air ...lol I have always had window air conditioners,but believe me would welcome central air.Now if I could find a home with central air AND adishwasher 9my kitchens too small for one )I would be a bit happier I thank you very much for ALL your information, you have been very helpul
Here, our heating season is from about early to mid October to around the first to middle of April. Either nothing, or cooling is used the rest of the year. Actually, I've already had to flip over from heat to cool this year. It was warm Saturday, and today it was 80. We'll certainly have a few more cold days here, but it is getting warmer. It gets very warm in July and August.

And efficient cooling system is almost, but not quite, as important here as heating.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,673 times
I dunno. I came from southern California to NM and am scared/shocked by the price of propane. Guess i have to average it out by 12 months. Moved in Feb., and have used $300 in three weeks.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. It appears that propane heat isn't so bad after all. Hiknapster raised a good point, however, when he noted that air conditioning expenses would be in addition to the cost of the gas....don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Still, I may have to bite the bullet and settle on a home with propane, as none of the homes I'm considering have electric central heat and air...possibly because they're older homes, in rural areas, with a bit of acreage, and all under 90K. Rescue1 noted that electric is cheaper but not as good, and I wonder if he might be right...at least there would be heat during power outages - as well as hot water and a stove to cook on. (If the home I end up buying doesn't have a gas water heater and gas stove, I would convert.)

Thanks again to all who responded. Any additional comments would be appreciated.

Frank
I have propane gas with the stove, water heater and the gas dryer had the tank but got
my meter back. the bad part is all the add on fees on the bill for amerigas which I do have.
call the company and ask them or who owns the home about what there bill does run.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
:

I have never heard of a heat pump, could you please explain what it is as I see them in the describing of a home, and a tva?I think I read that right? no clue
just check Trane or carrier they are the new big ones that heat the home and do the ac in the summer
the unit cost around 5000 to maybe 8000 depending on the brand some are cheaper also,
and the size you pick. I never heard of them either one part is in the garage the other part is outside.
I just did get a new 15 model trane last year and it did cost maybe a bit over 5000 and is good for
ten years. The new ones also do save you money with the electric since by bill was cut in half when it
was cold.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,373,500 times
Not every home has access to the natural gas lines. It was available in town but not here in the country where we live now

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,568,142 times
Then you have homes that have no choice on what Natural Gas Company to use. As here in Cumberland County. North of Interstate 40 you have Upper Cumberland Natural Gas. South of Interstate 40 you have Middle Tennessee Natural Gas which is about 1/2 the cost per therm than Upper Cumberland Natural Gas which has Fair Field Glade. As a consumer you should have the choice of which to use. Just my 2 cents..
Propane very expensive compared too either companies natural gas.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,885,880 times
cant say much on propane but my aprox 700 sqft house is heated with a single ventless natural gas heater ive NEVER turned that thing past Medium heat setting (never needed toeven o ome prety cold days) and my bil has never been higher than $30 a month.
i keep the element clean (gently) and its increidbly efficient.

im hoping to eventually get the gas line into the kitchen and to the hot water heater and replae boththe water heater and the cooker with nat-gas!

id NEVER go back to electric if given the choice.

im in rural south west tn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: