Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 03:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Coming from Sacramento, I just spent my first summer in Knoxville, TN. Only August felt "hot" to me. July and September had some warmish days. All 3 months, my shirt was always at least mildly damp to some extent and I used AC various days all 3 months. During August my shirt was wet sometimes and I used AC extensively. August is when my palms felt clammy from the humidity.

Overall, I found the summer "heat" in Knoxville to be better than what I experienced for decades in Sacramento. Either I am not very humidity sensitive, or Knoxville is not really that bad, or we had a mild summer and I'm in for it next year. Time will tell but loving it so far.

Now that is November, I feel like I could trade a bit more summer heat for the current Autum cold, which I assume it is going to get a lot colder. I may end up moving further south if that is the case, but again... we'll see. It is only 4 months of "cold". This isn't Albany.

We have grey Winters. Many days in a row without sunshine. We're also State Number 6 for the wettest states in the USA. Nobody ever asks about rain. I think the sunshine states people who move here never ask about sunshine (which they probably take for granted) and only ask about hot and cold and snow. I happen to like grey winters for photography reasons. Tennessee has 4 seasons but long summers and short Springs and Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 11:06 AM

206 posts, read 185,559 times
Yes i have never seem so much rain in my life. We were there for 10 days and it was raining cats and dogs for 8 days straight

Old 11-09-2021, 12:25 PM

11,592 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We have grey Winters. Many days in a row without sunshine. We're also State Number 6 for the wettest states in the USA. Nobody ever asks about rain. I think the sunshine states people who move here never ask about sunshine (which they probably take for granted) and only ask about hot and cold and snow. I happen to like grey winters for photography reasons. Tennessee has 4 seasons but long summers and short Springs and Falls.
I have only been in Knoxville for 6 months - 1/2 of Spring, all summer, 1/2 of Fall. I have yet to experience the gray winter. Frankly, I am more concerned by the cold than the gray but I won't know until I go through a full winter of both.

Regarding sunshine and rain, I found 7 unbroken months of dry sunshine in Sacramento to be a stupefying bore. So far, I enjoy the weekly and bi-weekly rains during summer in Knoxville. Most spring and summer rains were a single cloudburst that lasted 5-15 minutes. Toward the peak of summer, maybe a single 1/2 hour downburst. A refreshing change rather than an emotional damper.

Regarding 8 unbroken days of rain, so far during my 6 months in Knoxville, I have rarely experienced rain that lasted an entire day. I can recall a handful of rains that lasted most of a day, and 2 instances where it rained for 3 consecutive days -- the 2nd instance was hurricane Ida, and the previous one was an earlier hurricane. (Fred? not sure...) I just remember a LOT of cloudbursts that were very short in duration, and that was all for the day, even for several days.

I don't find the frequent rain to be problematic at all yet. We'll see how I feel as the years go by.

Pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi is going to have a sharp reduction in "days of sunshine" vs. the Western USA. That is a given. For my part, I enjoy clear blue skies, blue skies with puffy clouds, dark looming storm clouds, and stormy rain. The only skies I hate are whitish overcast or solid whitish-grey cloud cover. I haven't seen much of that so far. Therefore, so far so good.

I am enjoying the Knoxville weather more so far than I enjoyed the weather in Sacramento, especially the boring endless dry summers, but then I am still in the "honeymoon" period, so only time will tell which I prefer long-term.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:47 AM

176 posts, read 222,052 times
What isn't usually mentioned is that Knoxville, ON AVERAGE, gets more rainy days per year than Seattle. Something like 204 to 185.

HOWEVER, It'll rain decent or hard for a day or two here, then a few days of sunshine, then another day or two of rain, etc.
Seattle is just gray, misty, and drizzly the vast majority of the time.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,648 times
Wow, 200 days of rain! I think I could definitely deal with the couple of days rain, then sun, then rain and so on. I say that anyway. NY winters suck so I thought moving to south TX was a win win, however, I do get sick of the hot sun all year long. I'd like a happy medium! If that exists. Hmmm lots to think about. I'm sure there are pros and cons to any place.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:31 PM

206 posts, read 185,559 times
So far Tennessee seems like a mix of hot cold rain to me. It sounds perfect to leave behind crazy Canadian snow storms at least

Old 11-10-2021, 11:09 PM

11,592 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
What isn't usually mentioned is that Knoxville, ON AVERAGE, gets more rainy days per year than Seattle. Something like 204 to 185.

HOWEVER, It'll rain decent or hard for a day or two here, then a few days of sunshine, then another day or two of rain, etc.
Seattle is just gray, misty, and drizzly the vast majority of the time.
Per City Data (such a thoroughly useful website we have access to here):

Seattle

[IMG]//pics2.city-data.com/w3q/prcq27462.png[/IMG]

Knoxville

Seattle

Knoxville

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee