Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 08:48 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Climate is all relative. East of the 'sip, it's hot in humid in the summer. That's just the way it is. Chicago, Boston, Nashville, doesn't matter. The only difference is the length of the season.

Coming from subtropical Florida, I laugh at people that complain about the heat and humidity in TN.
And the elevation, dew points ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 03:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And the elevation, dew points ya know.
Elevation makes a huge difference. Mountains in the east are very moist and humid, particularly on the windward side, while at the same time of course being cooler.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,644 times
Default Also looking in TN

Oh this is all great info! I'm new here and was just looking for exactly the same as OP. I never would have known it would be more humid in the mountains! We love TN, honeymooned in Pigeon Forge, granted that was a long time ago, but I always loved the area and wanted to check it out more. We've been near San Antonio, TX for the past 7 years and we have 3 more to go until our youngest graduates HS. Husband and I are originally from NY and CT areas, so south TX is just a bit too hot for us. If I can weigh in on the allergies for south TX, this is the worst place you could live. For me, it's constant dust and ragweed. If it rains, it'll be mold. February/March it's mountain cedar. That's when my eyes are red and puffy almost everyday. I think Dec and Jan are the only manageable months. I never would have known this area would be so allergy ridden! What are the key allergies for TN other than pine? Is this different than NY pine?

We're also looking for a great place to live in TN. Was thinking the eastern part, but I don't know anything about the middle. We're not like super outdoorsy like hiking and such, but love to chill in the outdoors and go for walks. It's just too hot here to even sit out half the time. Our son will probably be heading to college in the state, but he can live on campus, so we don't have to be super close. We have a daughter, but she will be out of college by then so not sure if she'll be with us at that time. Ultimately looking for a nice relaxing area and for when we do retire. Would like to have decent hospitals, restaurants, etc. You know, some stuff to do. However not where traffic will bound you in every direction (this is also an issue here in the SA area), and also must have good wifi or fiber optic. We love our gaming and multi media.

I know 3 years seems like a long way off, but I like to have a plan. We do plan on visiting in the different seasons. I definitely don't want to be where there's too much snow all winter.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM

53 posts, read 72,183 times
So, I'm originally from Baltimore, lived in NY and graduated High School in CT long time ago. I have lived about 2 hours north of San Antonio (use to live in Floresville) at Ft Hood since 2003. Will be relocating to area about 80 miles SW of Nashville next year after house build completion. Three-four inches of snow per year... and fiber being run NOW throughout the county.
We purchased raw land three years ago and have been developing it (driveway in, 1200 sq ft garage, three sides of pasture now fenced) and ready for house build and move..small town, less than 1000 people and can't wait!
Yes, I'm a planner like you,,and retiring next year..

Last edited by rossn2; 11-04-2021 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 04:56 PM

143 posts, read 220,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenclovers View Post
Oh this is all great info! I'm new here and was just looking for exactly the same as OP. I never would have known it would be more humid in the mountains! We love TN, honeymooned in Pigeon Forge, granted that was a long time ago, but I always loved the area and wanted to check it out more. We've been near San Antonio, TX for the past 7 years and we have 3 more to go until our youngest graduates HS. Husband and I are originally from NY and CT areas, so south TX is just a bit too hot for us. If I can weigh in on the allergies for south TX, this is the worst place you could live. For me, it's constant dust and ragweed. If it rains, it'll be mold. February/March it's mountain cedar. That's when my eyes are red and puffy almost everyday. I think Dec and Jan are the only manageable months. I never would have known this area would be so allergy ridden! What are the key allergies for TN other than pine? Is this different than NY pine?

We're also looking for a great place to live in TN. Was thinking the eastern part, but I don't know anything about the middle. We're not like super outdoorsy like hiking and such, but love to chill in the outdoors and go for walks. It's just too hot here to even sit out half the time. Our son will probably be heading to college in the state, but he can live on campus, so we don't have to be super close. We have a daughter, but she will be out of college by then so not sure if she'll be with us at that time. Ultimately looking for a nice relaxing area and for when we do retire. Would like to have decent hospitals, restaurants, etc. You know, some stuff to do. However not where traffic will bound you in every direction (this is also an issue here in the SA area), and also must have good wifi or fiber optic. We love our gaming and multi media.

I know 3 years seems like a long way off, but I like to have a plan. We do plan on visiting in the different seasons. I definitely don't want to be where there's too much snow all winter.
Left that allergy misery known as central Texas in early 2018 (before real estate went through the roof) for NE Tennessee. I haven't had much of an issue here, maybe a little ragweed, but that can't compare to cedar fever. It is more humid but it is also cooler which modifies the effect. Love being able to walk around outside in summer which is something I could never do in Texas.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:54 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenclovers View Post
Oh this is all great info! I'm new here and was just looking for exactly the same as OP. I never would have known it would be more humid in the mountains!
More humid in the mountains in the eastern part of the country compared to mountains the western US. Not that the mountains of TN are more humid than than the lower elevations of TN, just to be clear, because looking back at those posts they read awkwardly and clear as mud.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:20 PM

206 posts, read 184,446 times
I agree with Dq714

Old 11-05-2021, 06:52 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Climate is all relative. East of the 'sip, it's hot in humid in the summer. That's just the way it is. Chicago, Boston, Nashville, doesn't matter. The only difference is the length of the season.

Coming from subtropical Florida, I laugh at people that complain about the heat and humidity in TN.

Coming from Sacramento, I just spent my first summer in Knoxville, TN. Only August felt "hot" to me. July and September had some warmish days. All 3 months, my shirt was always at least mildly damp to some extent and I used AC various days all 3 months. During August my shirt was wet sometimes and I used AC extensively. August is when my palms felt clammy from the humidity.

Overall, I found the summer "heat" in Knoxville to be better than what I experienced for decades in Sacramento. Either I am not very humidity sensitive, or Knoxville is not really that bad, or we had a mild summer and I'm in for it next year. Time will tell but loving it so far.

Now that is November, I feel like I could trade a bit more summer heat for the current Autum cold, which I assume it is going to get a lot colder. I may end up moving further south if that is the case, but again... we'll see. It is only 4 months of "cold". This isn't Albany.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,644 times
Thanks all! Gotcha DubbleT! I understand. We're hoping to come up in March of next year to spend some time searching around. We have been there in the end of August and maybe it was a good seasonal year, but the weather was gorgeous. Perhaps I can take a couple months of humidity over the hot infestation that's practically year round here. So happy it's cooling down a bit down though. I need a little change in seasons!

Old 11-08-2021, 03:26 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
If you take Claritin D, you'll need a prescription to get it monthly. The TN state law is much harsher than the federal law. Also, I had to sign for OTC liquid cold medicine last winter in the supermarket and they asked me my age. (I couldn't pass for 50 on a good day ) I asked why, since it's the store brand, and you know, it's right there on the shelf. They told me it was because alcohol is in it. Wow, I should have asked for a keg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee