Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 11:19 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times

Advertisements

Shrug. I mean, it's the South. Are any state governments actually looking out for their populations at this point?

Old 07-16-2021, 02:13 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Is there anyone in Tennessee, outside of politicians, really in favor of this? It's a really bad look for the state.
Yes, a very very loud minority segment of the population, maybe 35%. But because they vote in unified lock-step with whatever Carlson, Hannity, and Ingram tell them, they actually constitute a plurality of voters in Tennessee. The remaining 65% is divided among various issues, or don't care enough to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBassH97 View Post
Doesn't every pediatrician already provide this information at appointments, etc.?

The thing about rolling back the outreach isn't that people don't have access to this information -- in today's day and age they clearly do, and most likely some absurdly high percentage of kids in Tennessee goes for an annual visit with a pediatrician -- rather, it's that it prevents governments from pushing or even propagandizing information.

FWIW, you could just as easily look at this issue from the opposite perspective, and say that the incessant push for more and more outreach is responsive to a different but just as vocal segment of the population, including those in pharma who make money off of it and those whose livelihoods depend on doing such outreach.
Nice to assume that every teen has caring parents with regular pediatric visits. I also love how you think the solid red Republican government in Tennessee is "propagandizing information" about vaccines. And about the reference to the money in "pharma"... doctors actually do get bonuses for administering vaccines, but those bonuses come from "big insurance". Insurance companies know it's much much much cheaper to pay for vaccines than it is to pay to cover medical bills from sick patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
...The mature minor doctrine generally is used for emergencies, addiction, and sexual/reproductive issues to protect the child and medical personnel.
So why now with Covid should the state bypass the parents when it comes to their childs medical information?
Because it looks like you've missed the news lately... COVID-19 has killed thousands of Tennesseans, has permanently injured tens of thousands more (a previously healthy friend is waiting on a double-lung transplant after COVID destroyed his), and is considered by most people to be an "emergency".

Old 07-16-2021, 10:22 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
The Tennessee Department of Health assures families across Tennessee that information and access to vaccinations for children through state health departments continues and there has been no disruption to these services.

“There has been no disruption to the childhood immunization program or access to the COVID-19 vaccine while the department has evaluated annual marketing efforts intended for parents,” said Tennessee Department of Health commissioner Lisa Piercey, MD, MBA, FAAP. “The Tennessee Department of Health not only supports immunizations but continues to provide valuable information and access to parents who are seeking vaccinations for their children. We are proud of the efforts of our staff across the state and will continue to promote vaccination and the vaccination work of our partners.”

https://www.ucbjournal.com/no-disrup...n6hHcavqYVHOvo

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-17-2021, 10:11 AM

667 posts, read 763,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I should think most Tennesseeans, and most parents anywhere for that matter, would favor these notices going to the parents who make the medical decisions for their children rather than going directly to the children who have no legal authority in the relevant subject matter.

Agreed!

Parents are responsible for the care of their children and only the parents should be contacted for medical care issues of their children.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:19 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ts/7962563002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...19/7928701002/

https://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-hal...161101255.html

Is there anyone in Tennessee, outside of politicians, really in favor of this? It's a really bad look for the state.
They don't care. And I can say that as someone who lives here. Muh rights, don't 'cha ya know.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:59 AM

266 posts, read 236,332 times
the vaccine may be helpful for older people but the risks of a bad reaction to the vaccine are likely higher than the risk covid itself poses to young people. so this sounds like the right thing to do, if we are prioritizing the well being of our kids.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:28 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
The bottom line is that Dr. Fiscus was fired for sharing language regarding long-established law as requested by healthcare providers.

Surely it couldn't have been because her husband challenged Governor Lee's friend, Glen Casada, right? I mean, that would be ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:47 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
They don't care. And I can say that as someone who lives here. Muh rights, don't 'cha ya know.
So you support losing the right to be informed, give consent or make medical decisions for your minor children?

Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you support losing the right to be informed, give consent or make medical decisions for your minor children?
How does giving information to teens bypass parental consent and medical decisions? Is there something I'm missing that says teens CAN get the vaccination without parental consent? Or are you saying that teens don't have a right to be informed about various vaccines? Can you provide links that aren't behind a paywall to support the opinion that that parents were losing their rights to make decisions and give consent?

Old 07-19-2021, 09:38 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How does giving information to teens bypass parental consent and medical decisions? Is there something I'm missing that says teens CAN get the vaccination without parental consent? Or are you saying that teens don't have a right to be informed about various vaccines? Can you provide links that aren't behind a paywall to support the opinion that that parents were losing their rights to make decisions and give consent?
The mature minor doctrine was sited. And the poster I responded to made a negative reference to parents upset over their rights. My comment was specific to the idea that someone would be upset and make fun of parents who would be upset over the government superseding their parental rights over their children's medical care.
I'm not saying information focused on and given directly to minors would bypass parental consent.

I just wonder if anyone would change their mind about soliciting minors if the medical information was concerning birth control, abortion, or sex reassignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee