Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 08:34 AM

902 posts, read 807,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
In the 18 months we've lived here (NJ escapees) we've found TN to be very friendly and welcoming to newcomers. We love it here for the same reason as VinceTheExplorer.

Can't say we've come across the the type of people that those in other parts of the country stereotype in a condescending manner. Maybe we haven't looked hard enough.

Understand that although TN has a sales tax that's higher than many other states there in no tax on income and property taxes your home are very low,

That's may rankle many progressives who feel TN'ans are not paying their "fair share" to the state and local political classes but we like that among many other things about TN. YMMV.
Many libs and progressives act in this manor. They run up the taxes and COL in the areas they live then flee to areas like TN, GA and TX once they’ve made the areas they come from unlivable.

Look at all of the posts here now from those fleeing other states (see above) and looking for “progressive” and “liberal” (aka cheap for the time being) areas of TN to move to. “A cheaper Asheville” is a prime example of this.

Not one will ever lend themselves to being a part of the problem from where they’re coming from, nor will they here once the quality of life in Tennessee is eventually whittled down and destroyed too.

Just over the hill in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina is a prime example of this. Once a quirky and funky mountain town (a Johnson City many years ago) is now a haven for liberals and retirees with their $400+ square foot second homes now.

COL and crime there are now unbearable with a severe decline in QOL. It’s now ranked the 2nd most dangerous city with violent crime in North Carolina and getting worse. Such a shame to see.

Folks like our family here in ETN will unapologetically push back against things like that happening here, and have no issues when someone seeking the above passes over our beautiful town of Erwin.

We’d actually prefer it that way.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-06-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 08:48 AM

235 posts, read 287,444 times
Good insight from this thread. I'm in the opposite situation. Looks like somewhere west would be more appropriate for me. The map is very useful although now I need a county map to figure out which is which.
Every ranking I've seen places the state in the top 5 places to live and retire. The low property taxes more than make up for the high sales taxes, and for those near the border looking for high ticket items those can be negated by crossing into Kentucky for cash and carry items. As a former north side Chicago resident, I can tell you Best Buy up in Kenosha benefits greatly from this, as does Indiana for south siders.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:08 AM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck666 View Post
Good insight from this thread. I'm in the opposite situation. Looks like somewhere west would be more appropriate for me. The map is very useful although now I need a county map to figure out which is which.
Every ranking I've seen places the state in the top 5 places to live and retire. The low property taxes more than make up for the high sales taxes, and for those near the border looking for high ticket items those can be negated by crossing into Kentucky for cash and carry items. As a former north side Chicago resident, I can tell you Best Buy up in Kenosha benefits greatly from this, as does Indiana for south siders.
We like to drink Yuenling on occasion and buy it in North Carolina. It’s $15 plus change per case there and $23 here in Tennessee.

Wife works over the mountain in Weaverville and grabs it when coming home with other items that we find cheaper in NC. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 02-06-2021 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 11:04 AM

235 posts, read 287,444 times
Are there solidly conservative enclaves out that way you'd recommend? you can PM if you'd rather. I'm trying not to stray too far off the topic of this thread but did not want to start another one.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:58 AM

111 posts, read 136,549 times
Quote:
Are there solidly conservative enclaves out that way you'd recommend? you can PM if you'd rather. I'm trying not to stray too far off the topic of this thread but did not want to start another one.
I believe that's a fair question on this topic but I think somebody else said it best in this thread to people on either side of the fence looking to move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Tennessee is, by and large, a very live-and-let-live place.
I feel like no matter where you go in Tennessee you're going to feel comfortable. However, most of the state is pretty red lol. For a conservative, the only places I might tell you not to move to is Nashville and Memphis. While great places to visit their politics might be a little too liberal for you.

Something else you said I wanted to make a point on was this

Quote:
Looks like somewhere west would be more appropriate for me. The map is very useful although now I need a county map to figure out which is which.
Someone from there could correct me but I feel like West Tennessee doesn't have a lot of action going on outside of the Mississippi river and Land Between the Lakes. In the Middle<->Eastern zone there are tons of great cities to live in and things to do, that I would encourage you to explore before looking at West TN (just my opinion sorry guys lol).

The original post here asked, "Which towns or cities would be most comfortable for a socially progressive family coming from up North?". So when you see people suggesting Knoxville, Johnson City, Chattanooga, Sewanee, and Cookeville.. these (from what has been suggested) seems like their best options for Mid/Eastern Tennessee but they are still mostly conservative.

Knoxville (Knox County: R-Hagerty 59% vs D-Bradshaw 39%) ,
Johnson City(Washington County: R-Hagerty 68% vs D-Bradshaw 29%),
Chattanooga(Hamilton County: R-Hagerty 56% vs D-Bradshaw 41%),
Sewanee(Franklin County: R-Hagerty 73% vs D-Bradshaw 24%), and
Cookeville(Putnam County: R-Hagerty 71% vs D-Bradshaw 25%)

Last edited by yellowcat123; 02-06-2021 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 03:16 PM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
The original post here asked, "Which towns or cities would be most comfortable for a socially progressive family coming from up North?". So when you see people suggesting Knoxville, Johnson City, Chattanooga, Sewanee, and Cookeville.. these (from what has been suggested) seems like their best options for Mid/Eastern Tennessee but they are still mostly conservative.

Knoxville (Knox County: R-Hagerty 59% vs D-Bradshaw 39%) ,
Johnson City(Washington County: R-Hagerty 68% vs D-Bradshaw 29%),
Chattanooga(Hamilton County: R-Hagerty 56% vs D-Bradshaw 41%),
Sewanee(Franklin County: R-Hagerty 73% vs D-Bradshaw 24%), and
Cookeville(Putnam County: R-Hagerty 71% vs D-Bradshaw 25%)

Interesting stats. Tennessee is not a liberal state by any stretch of the imagination, but there are blue enclaves within the state. While Franklin County is overwhelming conservative (as are most of Tennessee's 95 counties) Sewanee is very liberal. It went for Biden 69-28 over Trump and Bradshaw over Hagerty 68-30. And, being perched on top of a mountain with 60+ miles of hiking trails about 45 miles from Chattanooga, I think the OP should consider it.

https://franklincotn.us/assets/pdfs/...ts/sewanee.pdf

Last edited by JMT; 02-06-2021 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 04:14 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Back on topic please. Review the Original Post and respond accordingly.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:38 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Many libs and progressives act in this manor. They run up the taxes and COL in the areas they live then flee to areas like TN, GA and TX once they’ve made the areas they come from unlivable.

Look at all of the posts here now from those fleeing other states (see above) and looking for “progressive” and “liberal” (aka cheap for the time being) areas of TN to move to. “A cheaper Asheville” is a prime example of this.

Not one will ever lend themselves to being a part of the problem from where they’re coming from, nor will they here once the quality of life in Tennessee is eventually whittled down and destroyed too.

Just over the hill in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina is a prime example of this. Once a quirky and funky mountain town (a Johnson City many years ago) is now a haven for liberals and retirees with their $400+ square foot second homes now.

COL and crime there are now unbearable with a severe decline in QOL. It’s now ranked the 2nd most dangerous city with violent crime in North Carolina and getting worse. Such a shame to see.

Folks like our family here in ETN will unapologetically push back against things like that happening here, and have no issues when someone seeking the above passes over our beautiful town of Erwin.

I am not an expert in NC politics, but I doubt the homeless problem there is exclusively the fault of "liberal" policies. It's still a red state and state policies have huge impact. Increased COL relates more to supply and demand. Affluent conservatives raise prices in areas, too. There is never a single answer, but you are welcome to believe whatever narrative you want.

Trust when I tell you have no intention to "flee." Don't make my post about something that it isn't or make assumptions. Frankly, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to fiscal policy, but I'm extremely progressive on social issues.

If my wife could tolerate New Hampshire winters, I'd be looking up there. My wife wants a milder climate and I want mountains - hence an interest in western NC and eastern TN. It's no deeper than that. I love where I live, and I'm happy to pay the taxes I pay for high quality schools. Don't get it twisted. You don't need to worry about a leftist takeover of Erwin. Enjoy it, Vinnie.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:20 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post

You are making a compelling case for me to take a look at Erwin

Old 02-15-2021, 02:46 PM

56 posts, read 47,947 times
Sewanee - wow! That place is expensive. I decided to look it up since I am seeing it mentioned. Population of 2300. It's like Erwin's alter ego.
cheapest place on the market is less than 1000sqft for $160k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee