Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 PM

902 posts, read 808,601 times

Advertisements

In Erwin we keep our windows and doors unlocked and / or open during most of the year, including our vehicles. Was 44 outside the other day and had them wide open while cooking dinner and was loving it. Sun went down, closed them up and turned on the fireplaces and it was warm again within 10 minutes.

We have a German Shepherd security system but she spends more time in the backyard chasing away squirrels than she does chasing away people. Have absolutely no issues here with crime and feel completely safe letting our 16 yo daughter go jogging around town, even during the evening.

Our utility bills are combined through the Town of Erwin with our only additional utility bill being for natural gas to Unicoi.

Electric + water + sewer + trash + gigabit internet (1000 x 1000) = $190 cooler months to $340 max during the warmer months and come on one combined bill which is great. Youtube TV is our streaming service.

Natural gas = $5 warmer months to $75 during the cooler months as we have 2 gas fireplaces that completely heat our house.

We recently removed our HE gas furnace and central HVAC system as they were not being used as we wanted to reclaim the space the units and ductwork took up.

Erwin has a waste station area that you can take daily garbage to which has been nice, especially with our remodel. They’ll also pick up anything you put out by the street like old furniture, 2 x 4’a and such for no additional charge, but there vould be a week or two wait.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-16-2021 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 08:07 PM

Forgot to mention we also have a nice 4 mile walking path (Erwin Linear Trail) through town and brand new dog park along it. Plans are in the works for a 115 acre mountain bike park in addition to the whitewater center here (USA Raft) so if you love the outdoors you only have to go 5 minutes to a walk away.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:25 PM

22 posts, read 44,399 times
Thank you 'Serious Conversation' & VinceTheExplorer' for the help and advice. My wife looked at some pictures of Erwin & thinks the city is cute. Our kids think Erwin is cute as well but are thinking the Metro-Knoxville area is the place to go for jobs. I have some medical issues so the better hospitals/medical resources in Knoxville caught my attention. Also, 'Serious Conversation' you mentioned living in a 'somewhat higher elevation are outside the city'... What areas/cities outside of/around Knoxville would be a bit higher elevation? Because I am really sensitive to high temperatures, I would be interested in checking these 'higher elevation areas' around Knoxville areas out. Is there a way to find out what cities or areas around Knoxville would be a little cooler due to being a bit higher in elevation? That would really help a lot. I mentioned what you said to our kids and they said to check out Farragut. Is Farragut TN a decent place? Of course, my wife ow wants me to check out Erwin so any more info you can give on these areas would be great.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:57 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpops View Post
Thank you 'Serious Conversation' & VinceTheExplorer' for the help and advice. My wife looked at some pictures of Erwin & thinks the city is cute. Our kids think Erwin is cute as well but are thinking the Metro-Knoxville area is the place to go for jobs. I have some medical issues so the better hospitals/medical resources in Knoxville caught my attention. Also, 'Serious Conversation' you mentioned living in a 'somewhat higher elevation are outside the city'... What areas/cities outside of/around Knoxville would be a bit higher elevation? Because I am really sensitive to high temperatures, I would be interested in checking these 'higher elevation areas' around Knoxville areas out. Is there a way to find out what cities or areas around Knoxville would be a little cooler due to being a bit higher in elevation? That would really help a lot. I mentioned what you said to our kids and they said to check out Farragut. Is Farragut TN a decent place? Of course, my wife ow wants me to check out Erwin so any more info you can give on these areas would be great.
You will want to begin looking south of Knoxville toward the Smoky Mountains. While those areas are likely going to be higher in elevation than the city of Knoxville itself, they are not as high in elevation Erwin, which Google puts at 1,673'.

Erwin is nice for what it is. Keep in mind that it is a small town with the benefits/drawbacks that come with that. Asheville is 45-50 miles away and Johnson City about 15. Job availability/pay is going to be an issue for the kids.

Keep in mind that a lot of the land at 3000' or higher (which cuts heat/humidity significantly) in TN is parkland or otherwise restricted. The town of Roan Mountain is only about 2600'.

For truly higher elevation/cooler temperatures, you're likely going to need to look toward North Carolina. There is far more available land in NC at higher elevations. Abingdon, VA (close to Bristol) is about 2000'. You can find many towns at 2,000'+ in Virginia with generally much lower real estate prices than western NC.

Farragut is one of the most affluent suburbs of Knoxville. For day to day living, it's probably your nicest, and most expensive, option in east TN.

I will send you a direct message on the medical care.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:29 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Mod Note: Merged Threads

Old 01-18-2021, 01:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Farragut is super nice, like most of West Knoxville. Check out Bearden, too. Just as nice IMO but way more convenient. 10-15 mins from downtown where lots of people like to go.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Unless you really want a cabin in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, most of eastern TN towns are in the valley's. I mean, it will be cooler, but not dramatically cooler. To really get that high elevation impact you will have to move to the North Carolina side, where they have some ski resort towns.

Knoxville I wouldn't even label as in the foothills. Erwin - beautiful older small town, in the valley between two ridges and very accessable to western NC. When I used to live in the area I would go over that highway in the winter and usually see the snow line start outside of Erwin while going over that pass into NC.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You won't find any houses in higher elevations that are close enough to Knoxville for emergency care. Very few developments above 2500' these are in the area of Gatlinburg and English mountain. You are better off with an air conditioner and timing activities for the early morning. There's a tiny bit of relief being on the water - more so where you get the effect of TVA releasing water from the bottom of a dam.

I do find respite on a hot summer day sitting directly beside "my" creek that comes out of the Smoky Mountains - but you aren't allowed to live there.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:47 PM

We live in Erwin @ elev 2,000’ and have no need for a/c or a furnace, both of which we just removed from our home this month. Not saying it doesn’t get warm here a few weeks during the summer (during the day), but the evenings are usually pretty mild and comfortable.

Erwin gets a lot of weather that the surrounding areas do not get. We frequently get 50+ mph winds roaring through the valley here and up along the side of the valley that we live on especially. Sounds like a jet fighter passing over the house, and watching the trees bend and sway from it is pretty cool.

We also tend to get a few more inches of snow here at the house then the towns surdounding us during a good snow event, which is again alright by us.

Have noticed a frequent 6 to 8 degree difference from here to our family’s home near Chattanooga. Head further up into the mountains from Erwin and the difference in temps from here to there (say Erwin to Roan Mountain) can be a 10 degree difference or more.

Not uncommon to see nearly 20 degrees difference between Roan Mtn and Chattanooga on a typical summer day. Last summer we were hiking on Roan then headed over to see family near ‘Nooga / Pelham the same day and there was a definite difference in temps and humidity. Couldn't wait to get back home.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-25-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee