Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 02:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times

Advertisements

I am in my 20s and considering where to move after I finish school. Which city do you think has the more fun nightlife for people in their mid-late 20s? I will probably be about 24 when I make the move. I am considering these two cities as well as others in the south.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:51 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Nashville... it's still safe to walk home.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Nashville by far.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM

3,042 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I am in my 20s and considering where to move after I finish school. Which city do you think has the more fun nightlife for people in their mid-late 20s? I will probably be about 24 when I make the move. I am considering these two cities as well as others in the south.
There is nothing like Lower Broadway in Nashville. Hopefully the Bridgestone Arena will return to normal concerts & events plus Predator games. Then you have nearby Ryman, best arena anywhere to see a show.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:00 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
I've enjoyed both cities' nightlife many times (Nashville a little more often), and I'm going with the Music City on this one. Lower Broadway alone makes it better and seems to have diversified a little from dominantly country cover-bands in recent years, and there are more neighborhoods to hang out than just Lower Broadway as well. Nothing against Memphis; it is a damn good time too, and I do appreciate its later 5am bar closing time. I just feel like Nashville has more to offer overall in nightlife.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:41 PM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
I've had a lot of good times in Memphis and always enjoy visiting there. But Nashville has sooo much more, and it really isn't close anymore like it used to be.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:48 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
There is much more to a city than it’s night life and Nashville is significantly more expensive to live in compared to Memphis. You can still find nice apartments in Midtown Memphis for under $1000, whereas anything inside the 440 loop in Nashville or inner East Nashville will run you $1500+. And for a lot of jobs, there really isn’t much difference in pay between the cities. However, there may be more opportunities in Nashville vs Memphis since it’s growing faster.

As to night life, there is probably a bit more in Nashville than Memphis at this point, but you can certainly have a great time in both. I will say almost all of the recent developments in Nashville nightlife have been directed at tourists, with many spots actually located inside hotels. And all are probably over priced for what they are.

Have you visited either city?

Old 11-26-2020, 10:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Memphis isn't that safe after about 10pm-midnight. There are too many people hanging around, without going into bars or buying anything. Fights, shootings, and mini-stampedes have happened. They tried limiting access to Beale St with "Beale St Bucks", where you had to pay to enter but the "bucks" you bought when you entered could be used in bars (something to that effect), but that was deemed racist.

I don't even know what's going on down there now because we avoid the area like the plague and go to bars in East Memphis, where it's a lot safer. None of my friends go to Beale St anymore, unless it's a bachelor party or something big going on.

We went to a concert in Nashville within the last year and checked out Broadway. We were laughing at all the girls that were basically wearing the exact same thing (EVERYONE!). We had a good time though.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:34 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Memphis isn't that safe after about 10pm-midnight. There are too many people hanging around, without going into bars or buying anything. Fights, shootings, and mini-stampedes have happened. They tried limiting access to Beale St with "Beale St Bucks", where you had to pay to enter but the "bucks" you bought when you entered could be used in bars (something to that effect), but that was deemed racist.

I don't even know what's going on down there now because we avoid the area like the plague and go to bars in East Memphis, where it's a lot safer. None of my friends go to Beale St anymore, unless it's a bachelor party or something big going on.

We went to a concert in Nashville within the last year and checked out Broadway. We were laughing at all the girls that were basically wearing the exact same thing (EVERYONE!). We had a good time though.
Nashville can be dangerous as well. There was a shooting at 2nd and Commerce that injured 8 people earlier this month. There have also been shootings outside of bars/music venues in East and Midtown.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
From what I understand Memphis is a lot safer than Nola which is another city I was considering. Is Memphis really that bad? Can't walk around after midnight? I am looking for a younger demographic, guessing that East Memphis would be more like 30s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee