Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 02:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,016,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
There is much more to a city than it’s night life and Nashville is significantly more expensive to live in compared to Memphis. You can still find nice apartments in Midtown Memphis for under $1000, whereas anything inside the 440 loop in Nashville or inner East Nashville will run you $1500+. And for a lot of jobs, there really isn’t much difference in pay between the cities. However, there may be more opportunities in Nashville vs Memphis since it’s growing faster.

As to night life, there is probably a bit more in Nashville than Memphis at this point, but you can certainly have a great time in both. I will say almost all of the recent developments in Nashville nightlife have been directed at tourists, with many spots actually located inside hotels. And all are probably over priced for what they are.

Have you visited either city?
That is why I am considering Memphis. Memphis is also slightly closer to Texas and New Orleans which I would like to visit sometimes. I like the fact that it's more of a southern city and less transplants than Nashville. And I know that sounds silly since I would in fact be a transplant too but I like the idea of experiencing the full on southern culture.

Haven't visited either city since I was a kid, definitely need to go back.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,016,509 times
Another question I have is which city is more unique? Which city is more like Dallas and Houston regarding endless suburbs and everything looking the same? I recall both being pretty unique but I was a kid.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:02 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,988,674 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Nashville has better nightlife but has become trendy. There is still somewhat of a unique culture to it but please consider the pay in your field before relocating to Nashville. There is more variety of opportunity in Nashville but that won't guarantee a better life.

Also consider the people. Memphis is definitely unique and may be difficult to adjust to depending on you and how you interpret things.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:05 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Nashville can be dangerous as well. There was a shooting at 2nd and Commerce that injured 8 people earlier this month. There have also been shootings outside of bars/music venues in East and Midtown.
Remember, we're 'comparing'. Nashville is still safer by far.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:30 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,527,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
From what I understand Memphis is a lot safer than Nola which is another city I was considering. Is Memphis really that bad? Can't walk around after midnight? I am looking for a younger demographic, guessing that East Memphis would be more like 30s?
You are asking about nightlife. You can look up crime statistics for yourself at our main site. Also, since you now want to compare to Dallas and Houston please check out City vs City forum as well.

You really should spend some time visiting each of the cities you are researching and find what feels like the best fit for you. No one on this site can really tell you what is best. It's all subjective. Good luck!

Since this thread is devolving off topic; time to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee