Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 AM

5,844 posts, read 2,967,245 times

Advertisements

Howdy.

We are thinking of selling our Long island home and moving to TN. I did lots of looking around on Trulia and looks like a house in 300-350k range is ideal for us. With a 20-40% down payment and 15 year mortgage.

I intend to keep my freelance job and work from home part time. Wife will have to get a job in University or college of some sort.
2 kids, 2 and 8. So schools are important.

We like outdoors and want to take full advantage of the state and its parks.

Ideally a house with a nice drive way, with neighbors nicely spaced apart. Also, less people the better, somewhere in the woods would be great, but because of small kids I don't think that's possible. 2+ car garage is a must as well.

We love taking road trips, not sure if that helps. Id love to get a boat. Also ATVing or off roading is something I always wanted to get into with kids.

Appreciate your input folks.

Thank You.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Well, that's pretty wide open. I think we'll need your help to narrow it down some. Have you noticed the various sub-forums for the different parts of the state, and do you have a preference for any of them?

The need for a nearby university or college helps narrow it, but what about other things. Does climate matter, winter snow, summer humidity? Is it important to be near the mountains? Obviously near a lake or river if you want a boat. Will you need access to a good airport, specialized healthcare? What about museums, zoos, good libraries, and entertainment venues? How far are you willing to drive for those? Does working from home mean you need excellent internet or cell service 24/7?

Old 11-15-2020, 11:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,704,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Howdy.

We are thinking of selling our Long island home and moving to TN. I did lots of looking around on Trulia and looks like a house in 300-350k range is ideal for us. With a 20-40% down payment and 15 year mortgage.

I intend to keep my freelance job and work from home part time. Wife will have to get a job in University or college of some sort.

Ideally a house with a nice drive way, with neighbors nicely spaced apart. Also, less people the better, somewhere in the woods would be great, but because of small kids I don't think that's possible. 2+ car garage is a must as well.

We love taking road trips, not sure if that helps. Id love to get a boat. Also ATVing or off roading is something I always wanted to get into with kids.

Thank You.

I live in a development with light restrictions that help protect property values. It is called Cumberland Cove. You mentioned that somewhere in the woods would be great. Well, Cumberland Cove is a fully wooded, 8,000 acre development. Lots in Cumberland Cove range from 1-2 acres on the Cumberland County side to 4-5 acres on the Putnam County side, so homes are usually far apart. Wildlife is abundant here. We see deer, wild turkey, coyotes, and an occasional bear. We are near the town of Monterey, about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville, just off Interstate 40. You will find both homes and lots for sale here. You should not have any difficulty finding a home in the 300 to 350k range. Natural gas is available throughout the majority of our development. Broadband internet is currently being installed through a partnership with Twin Lakes and Volunteer Energy Cooperative. This installation is due to be completed before the end of December 2020. We have paved roads throughout the development, but some of the roads need to be re-paved. Our development has 4 parks with hiking trails, bluff overlooks, caves, and waterfalls for the exclusive use of property owners. Within a 1 hour drive, you will find many beautiful state parks. There are lakes in the area for boating. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is about 2 hours away. Tennessee Tech in the city of Cookeville is a 25 to 30 minute drive. Your wife could potentially find employment there. The closest schools for your kids would be in the town of Monterey. You will find the overall cost of living far less in Tennessee. I've provided a link below for the Cumberland Cove Property Owner's Association website. You can read our Covenants and Bylaws on this site.

https://cumberlandcovepoa.com/ccpoa2019/

Old 11-15-2020, 03:59 PM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Howdy.

Thank You.
Cookeville absolutely meets your criteria. It's a small city/big town of 35,000 that's home to the state's flagship technological university. The schools are excellent, one of only a handful of school systems in the country and certainly in the state to have the International Baccalaureate Program at both the middle and high school levels. And since it's an open school system, you can live anywhere in the county and send your kids to the school of your choice as long as there's room and you provide the transportation.

Cookeville has gigabit internet, not just in the city but even out in the sticks. I live 25 miles outside of town in the middle of nowhere and have gigabit internet at my little farm. I know a lot of people who have moved here, particularly since covid, because they can work from home and take advantage of the gigabit internet. It's a very family friendly kind of place with excellent schools, an award-winning children's theater, children's library, children's symphony, children's museum, and a host of festivals, youth sports and such that keep it a tight-knit and very sweet community in spite of all the move-ins from all over.

Within 40 minutes of town there are 1200 miles of lakeshore and 100 waterfalls as well as a dozen state parks and a national recreation area. It's a beautiful area. Boating, ATVing, and off roading are wildly popular. Neighborhoods like you described are the norm, very hilly, leafy, and spread out.

And it's only an hour east of the Nashville airport which has, by far, the best connections and lowest air fares in the state.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 11-15-2020, 05:09 PM

Thank you all for chiming in.

Reliable internet is a must for my work.
I dont mind the snow, we love it.
I am not a fan of humidity, but I read it not avoidable, along with bugs.

Nashville is great, but more expensive from what I understand.

My biggest worry is me ending up bored a bit. NOt that we are in Manhattan every week. After working there for 15 years I am so over it.

Another worry is my kids. Will this move be good for them and their future, their opportunities. I am not Ok with kids growing up and moving states away. I want our small family to stay together. I understand it hard to predict future, but I want to provide them with a good place to live now and later on.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 PM

363 posts, read 483,126 times
Quote:
Thank you all for chiming in.

My biggest worry is me ending up bored a bit. NOt that we are in Manhattan every week. After working there for 15 years I am so over it.

Another worry is my kids. Will this move be good for them and their future, their opportunities. I am not Ok with kids growing up and moving states away. I want our small family to stay together. I understand it hard to predict future, but I want to provide them with a good place to live now and later on.
We moved to Knoxville from Southern California over five years ago. My daughter. who is now 19, has made it clear she does not want to move back to California but that Knoxville is not her cup of tea and she hates Nashville. Chattanooga is more diverse (she thinks the kids in Knox are snobby) so she decided to go there to finish college. Career-wise, we both agree probably Atlanta would be best and that's only three hours away from Knox.

You have a long time to think about it and see where their interests go and plan accordingly. Your kids might decide they want to be an investment banker and end up back in New York anyway or move to Texas to work at NASA. All you can do is prepare them and yourselves for their future endeavors. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2020, 04:35 AM

143 posts, read 221,261 times
Just make sure you are comfortable with the social/political climate of Tennessee. Many areas are conservative and are increasingly wary of those moving in from more liberal areas with ideas to change their way of life.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:37 AM

902 posts, read 810,071 times
Many who “want something different” come to TN then after the honeymoon phase wears off realize it’s a major change of pace and lifestyle. Living in the woods so to speak comes with isolation and a major reduction in amenities that those who live in and near larger cities become accustomed to.

We live in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee (Erwin, TN to be exact) and love it here, but it’s not for everyone. We hike pretty much every week and have all of our needs met here, but small town living has it’s drawbacks too - none of which bother us as we lean slightly conservative with family values and an adventurous bug in us.

Will warn you that NO-ONE comes to the mountains looking for top tier educations for their children (we have three from elementary to college) or for high paying salaries. Our schools here meet the needs of our family, but may require a major change in expectations for those coming from a larger city.

We have great careers here, but we also came with certain skillsets that allowed us to thrive here. Many do not and find themselves working jobs that pay $20k to $30k max annually, which again is typical of the area.

We do have gigabit high speed internet to the house here ($60 monthly, a plus since I work remotely), 6,000+ foot mountain peeks that we explore weekly, multiple lakes, rivers, camping areas and more hiking trails here than you’ll ever be able to visit in a lifetime - all within minutes of our front door.

For us the trade offs of small town living here FAR outweigh what you end up giving up, but again many may not see it that way after moving away from what they’re used to.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
Just make sure you are comfortable with the social/political climate of Tennessee. Many areas are conservative and are increasingly wary of those moving in from more liberal areas with ideas to change their way of life.
I can assure you, I have no intentions of bringing anything other than myself and my family over in search of freedom and liberty. Frankly we do well on our own and hardly ever join any mass gatherings of any kind.

I want nature and peace of mind. Good food, classic cars and some music is always a bonus.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Many who “want something different” come to TN then after the honeymoon phase wears off realize it’s a major change of pace and lifestyle. Living in the woods so to speak comes with isolation and a major reduction in amenities that those who live in and near larger cities become accustomed to.

We live in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee (Erwin, TN to be exact) and love it here, but it’s not for everyone. We hike pretty much every week and have all of our needs met here, but small town living has it’s drawbacks too - none of which bother us as we lean slightly conservative with family values and an adventurous bug in us.

Will warn you that NO-ONE comes to the mountains looking for top tier educations for their children (we have three from elementary to college) or for high paying salaries. Our schools here meet the needs of our family, but may require a major change in expectations for those coming from a larger city.

We have great careers here, but we also came with certain skillsets that allowed us to thrive here. Many do not and find themselves working jobs that pay $20k to $30k max annually, which again is typical of the area.

We do have gigabit high speed internet here (a plus since I work remotely), 6,000+ foot mountain peeks that we explore weekly, multiple lakes, rivers, camping areas and more hiking trails here than you’ll ever be able to visit in a lifetime - all within minutes of our front door.

For us the trade offs of small town living here FAR outweigh what you end up giving up, but again many may not see it that way after moving away from what they’re used to.

Thank you for your input.
NYC Rat race is what I want to move away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee