Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:52 AM

902 posts, read 808,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Thank you for your input.
NYC Rat race is what I want to move away from.
Seriously, just be prepared for the above. Leaving the “rat race” of one area only to enter one of a different kind somewhere else is common for those with “burn out” syndrome.

My father moved from MD down to FL for the same reasons as you, only to leave in the middle of the night with no warning to head back to MD after six months due to depression.

His new rat race of limited friends, isolation and new surroundings had him quickly doubting his decision and craving the rat race that he was accustomed to.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 11-16-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Seriously, just be prepared for the above. Leaving the “rat race” of one area only to enter one of a different kind somewhere else is common for those with “burn out” syndrome.

My father moved from MD down to FL for the same reasons as you, only to leave in the middle of the night with no warning to head back to MD after six months due to depression.

His new rat race of limited friends, isolation and new surroundings had him quickly doubting his decision and craving the rat race that he was accustomed to.

Good luck either way.
Thank you. I do fear this as well. The Oh My god what have we done moment.
We live in Suburbs of NYC now. NYC is 35 minutes away. We are used to restaurants being abundant, its not a must, but its nice to go out and just see people from time to time.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:12 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Thank you all for chiming in.

Reliable internet is a must for my work.
I dont mind the snow, we love it.
I am not a fan of humidity, but I read it not avoidable, along with bugs.

Nashville is great, but more expensive from what I understand.

My biggest worry is me ending up bored a bit. NOt that we are in Manhattan every week. After working there for 15 years I am so over it.

Another worry is my kids. Will this move be good for them and their future, their opportunities. I am not Ok with kids growing up and moving states away. I want our small family to stay together. I understand it hard to predict future, but I want to provide them with a good place to live now and later on.
We will soon have reliable internet here in Cumberland Cove. Fiber optic cable is currently being installed. As for snow, we normally have about 12 inches per year. Each snowfall is usually 2 inches or less. Yes, we do have humidity, mostly in the summer months. There are millions of bugs in Tennessee. You learn to live with them. If you enjoy the outdoors, you won't be bored living here. Your kids will make friends here and will love it. They will probably be safer here than where you're moving from. We live in a very safe area. Cumberland Cove is in a rural area. We moved here from California a little more than 3 years ago. Our kids are still in California, but they can fly out here to visit any time. We can do the same. I love it here. My wife would prefer to be a little closer from the conveniences we used to have like stores, restaurants, etc. Now we have to drive almost 30 minutes to Cookeville to do our shopping. If you plan your trips ahead of time, it helps.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
We will soon have reliable internet here in Cumberland Cove. Fiber optic cable is currently being installed. As for snow, we normally have about 12 inches per year. Each snowfall is usually 2 inches or less. Yes, we do have humidity, mostly in the summer months. There are millions of bugs in Tennessee. You learn to live with them. If you enjoy the outdoors, you won't be bored living here. Your kids will make friends here and will love it. They will probably be safer here than where you're moving from. We live in a very safe area. Cumberland Cove is in a rural area. We moved here from California a little more than 3 years ago. Our kids are still in California, but they can fly out here to visit any time. We can do the same. I love it here. My wife would prefer to be a little closer from the conveniences we used to have like stores, restaurants, etc. Now we have to drive almost 30 minutes to Cookeville to do our shopping. If you plan your trips ahead of time, it helps.

Thank you. Ill check it out.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:27 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Put Johnson City on your map. Draw a circle of 20 miles or so around it and that is your search area. From small town urban to remote, you will find it all in that area. Johnson City has pretty good schools. They deteriorate as you get further away.

Plenty of out of doors activities. Good TVA Lakes. Humidity is way lower than where you are now due primarily to elevation. Bugs a BIGLY, but mosquitos are generally not prevalent.

Cost of living is modest. Grocery stores are poor. Restaurants ditto with a couple of exceptions. People are over the top friendly and generally don't proselytize.

I laughed at the person who suggested that you are exchanging one rat race for another. They obviously have never commuted into the city every day. I did it for 30 years. Two red lights is the most "congestion" you will find in east Tennessee.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I do fear this as well. The Oh My god what have we done moment.
We live in Suburbs of NYC now. NYC is 35 minutes away. We are used to restaurants being abundant, its not a must, but its nice to go out and just see people from time to time.
We originally landed in the Asheville, NC area (35-45 minutes south of here) and absolutely hated living there. A good place to visit but terrible place to live (for our family), even with more restaurants and amenities (... and more crime, overcrowding and such) than our current location here in TN.

For us, sleeping with our windows open, doors unlocked and having great neighbors was a priority for our family, as was being within a few minutes of everything outdoors, all of which we have here. Although there’s some restaurants here in town, most are more of a “diner like” environment than being a true restaurant.

For restaurants we head to either Johnson City (15 min) Jonesborough (20 min) or the Asheville area (35 - 45 minutes). Having a car here to get to things is a necessity, although we can walk to cafes, coffee shops and grocery stores here in Erwin too.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Put Johnson City on your map. Draw a circle of 20 miles or so around it and that is your search area. From small town urban to remote, you will find it all in that area. Johnson City has pretty good schools. They deteriorate as you get further away.

Plenty of out of doors activities. Good TVA Lakes. Humidity is way lower than where you are now due primarily to elevation. Bugs a BIGLY, but mosquitos are generally not prevalent.

Cost of living is modest. Grocery stores are poor. Restaurants ditto with a couple of exceptions. People are over the top friendly and generally don't proselytize.

I laughed at the person who suggested that you are exchanging one rat race for another. They obviously have never commuted into the city every day. I did it for 30 years. Two red lights is the most "congestion" you will find in east Tennessee.
“Rat race” can be defined with many variables, and not necessarily traffic. Coming from an area of high earning potential to an area of $10 - $12 per hour jobs is a “rat race” of a different kind.

For those with $80k+ annual salaries to pick up and leave to live in an area of $20k to $30k max salaries can be quite the major culture shock, but the reality of an area regardless and a new rat race of finding a job that pays a respectable salary among hundreds of others searching for the same.

Have lived and worked in / on the outskirts of Baltimore, DC, Orlando, Denver and Miami (among a few others) so can speak from first hand experience about rat races. Also grew up on a 900 acre farm in the mountains of WV too which lends itself to our love and appreciation of small town living.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 11-16-2020 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 07:55 AM

Appreciate everyones input.

I just dont want to be limited to Fast food places. I dont need Park ave type restaurants at all. We prefer mom and pop type cozy places.

As for driving, we love driving. I have 4 cars alone which is becoming a problem with storage. Im a car guy. Love older classic cars.

As for salary, Id be keeping my 60-75k income working from home. So I think Ill be ok, wife will be working as well.

Financially, we would be able to put down a 30% downpayment and do a 15 year mortgage, not a 30. Which means by 55 Ill be able to semi retire and not work till im practically dead.
Also, be able to save and have a fund set up for kids when they grow up.

We plan to take a road trip to TN and check out all the areas Ill save from research. Thank you.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Appreciate everyones input.

I just dont want to be limited to Fast food places. I dont need Park ave type restaurants at all. We prefer mom and pop type cozy places.

As for driving, we love driving. I have 4 cars alone which is becoming a problem with storage. Im a car guy. Love older classic cars.

As for salary, Id be keeping my 60-75k income working from home. So I think Ill be ok, wife will be working as well.

Financially, we would be able to put down a 30% downpayment and do a 15 year mortgage, not a 30. Which means by 55 Ill be able to semi retire and not work till im practically dead.
Also, be able to save and have a fund set up for kids when they grow up.

We plan to take a road trip to TN and check out all the areas Ill save from research. Thank you.
A big talk of the town here in Erwin is the new Dominos Pizza being built if that says anything. Not very exciting, but also very typical of the area. Junky pizza here is pretty popular, although there’s a fairly good place here in town too among the half dozen or so terrible pizza joints.

Being “opportunistic” thinkers though we have our sights set on a piece of commercial property here in town, with plans for a cafe of sorts to come in 2021. Where some see obstacles we tend to see opportunity, which has worked well for us in the past.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
A big talk of the town here in Erwin is the new Dominos Pizza being built if that says anything about FF places here. Not very exciting, but also very typical of the area. Junky pizza here is pretty popular, although there’s a fairly good place here in town too among the half dozen or so terrible places.

Being “opportunistic” thinkers though we have our sights set on a piece of commercial property here in town, with plans for a cafe of sorts to come in 2021. Where some see obstacles we tend to see opportunity, which has worked well for us in the past.

We have Dominos few blocks away from us, cant say Im a fan.

I do smoke my own meats once a month though, ribs, brisket, pork shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee