Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM

27 posts, read 130,480 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We are considering moving to Tennessee. Could some Tennesseans give us some reasons about why they love their state?
Thanks!

The Happy Horse Ranch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Default Well........

I LOVE TN! I am a transplant myself but been here over 10 years now, I could write a book about why I love TN, but here is my short list version. First let me start with, welcome to the C-D forum

Friendly, kind people live here, sure there are some not so nice, just like everywhere but for the most part, the people are great neighbors.

The land. There are a lot of open green fields and woods too, not over populated once you get out of the few main cities.

The sky, some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen and there are so many days where the sky is so blue it hurts your eyes

The people are wonderful!

The weather is rather mild for the most part. Granted this year has been a little off, late freeze in the spring, hot humid summer that lasted weeks longer than normal and we were short on rain, even to drought conditions. This has not been an "Average" year for sure, usually it isn't very hot in the summer and winter is also mild, we feel like it is a blizzard if more than 2 inches fall and it lasts more than a day. But there are 4 distinct seasons.

[/IMG]

I have seen at least 6 police officers over the years actually helping someone change a flat tire!

The history in some towns are preserved, appreciated and celebrated.

There are so many activities to do. Weither it be going to the Smokies
to do some hiking or just to enjoy the nature and scenery.

Or go to the touristy areas and play like Gatlinburg where you can go the aquarium, museums or to Pigeon Forge to shop or go to Dollywood.

Very little traffic except for a few of the large cities and good main roads.

Lots of good restaurants. Plenty of things for people of all ages to do without breaking the bank

The great people.

Easy on the wallet cost of living.

There are some beautiful lakes and rivers if you like water fun.

Have I mentioned how nice the people are??

Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 AM

611 posts, read 1,998,085 times
Excellent post mbmouse.

TN has a relatively mild climate. You will experience all 4 seasons. Not much snow uless you are towards the NE part of the state and still not much.

No income tax. Yes, sales tax is anywhere from 7% to 9% but some states have 4% income tax + sales tax + high prop taxes.

Cheap insurance.

Lakes and Rivers! If you are into watersports we got it. Powerboating, Cruising, Sailing, paddling, skiing, tubing, fishing, swimming, and camping. All very convenient to the cities.

Mountains! Hiking, camping, mtn biking, cycling.

Lots of State Parks for all the above as well.

Cities are clean and as far as I can tell have low crime. I know there is a stat out there showing Chattanooga has high crime but I've never felt in danger.

RE is still very affordable.

People are friendly.

At least as far as Chattanooga is concerned it's not overcrowded by any stretch.

We're only 6 hours from the most beautiful beaches in the country.... maybe the world.

How am I doing so far?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,529 times
Wow, you've said it all. These are all the reasons I moved to Tennessee from Connecticut and LOVE it!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Those are all the reasons we will be moving to Tennessee.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,820 times
MBMouse,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. I used one that you posted a while back as a desktop background on my computer. I hope you don't mind. Your pictures make me want to return to Tennessee. Unfortunately, my wife and I will not be able to return until next fall. If we time it right, maybe we'll see the changing of the leaves.

Happyhorseranch,

My wife and I fell in love with Tennessee. We expecially love the Cookeville, Monterey, and Crossville areas. We bought a 4 acre lot in August near Monterey. We love the green rolling hills and mountains and the friendly people. I suggest you visit Tennessee and check it out.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM

31 posts, read 98,046 times
Default looking to retire from Ct

You have all mentioned reasons why I'm coming down in May. Fairfield County is high in everything. If I find a lot to build on in the future I will buy. Thank's for reafirming what I've been told. Now I have to see it for myself. A fellow co-worker is moving down in October when he retires ,his taxes are going from $6000 a year with no land to $550 with 30 acres. I can't wait.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM

423 posts, read 1,404,697 times
Oh yeah, all the reasons stated above and more. I love Tennessee because my baby girl (age 28) lives there, and my baby boy (soon to be 30) will live there in a few years too! Family means a LOT! Ok, and I have to confess that every time we think about moving to TN I get excited over getting a horse again. My old gelding died 7 years ago, and it is time to saddle up and be sore once again. Come on down I say...especially if you have HORSES! If you're into rodeo, all the better. We need a bigger barrel racing contingent in east Tennessee!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineywoods View Post
Oh yeah, all the reasons stated above and more. I love Tennessee because my baby girl (age 28) lives there, and my baby boy (soon to be 30) will live there in a few years too! Family means a LOT! Ok, and I have to confess that every time we think about moving to TN I get excited over getting a horse again. My old gelding died 7 years ago, and it is time to saddle up and be sore once again. Come on down I say...especially if you have HORSES! If you're into rodeo, all the better. We need a bigger barrel racing contingent in east Tennessee!
Funny I am going to do the same thing. Sold my horses 5 yrs ago and as soon as we move I am going to get another one. Don't count on me doing any barrel racing though. I am too old for that. I much prefer trail riding. Hopefully they have some good blooded Appys in TN.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Beautiful photo essay, MBMouse.

My input: It's a great place to raise a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee