Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 PM

74 posts, read 220,773 times

Advertisements

wow. are we going to be in for a surprise when we get to Tn? we live on a 5 acre farm in extreme southern Minnesota, and our taxes per year are 184.00 we have state and federal income taxes as well, our local sales tax is I believe 6.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthepoet View Post
wow. are we going to be in for a surprise when we get to Tn? we live on a 5 acre farm in extreme southern Minnesota, and our taxes per year are 184.00 we have state and federal income taxes as well, our local sales tax is I believe 6.50.
Sounds like you're going to be surprised by the property tax here. You only pay $184 a year in property tax? That's lower than any place I know of in Tennessee.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the lack of a state income tax here. Sales tax will be higher however.

Whenever I see rankings of states by how "tax friendly" they are, Tennessee is usually in the bottom (lowest) ten, while Minnesota is usually in the top (highest) ten, so I'm guessing that overall you'll be okay with the taxes here.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM

176 posts, read 799,900 times
Sorry that I didn't see the question for me until now. Yes, I live near Cookeville now and I'm glad that I do! What a great area-the people, the climate, the cost of living, etc. We love it! I regret that I didn't get to the festival.

New York was insane. I lived there all my life and the politicians always talked about lowering taxes...but they just went up. My neighbor down the block from me was paying $16,000 a year in property taxes in 2000. Our houses were nice but certainly nothing spectacular. Using the Rule of 72, at 8% increases (average) per year, our taxes were going to double in 9 years. We got out and live a much better life now. I wish we had left years ago.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 PM

74 posts, read 220,773 times
so is it less expensive to shop in different counties like for groceries, I do not want to pay that kind of sales tax? Superwalmart is a great place up here for purchasing groceries, but having to figure the sales tax in Tn could really change my grocery budget. So what areas are less expensive without having to drive too far?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthepoet View Post
so is it less expensive to shop in different counties like for groceries, I do not want to pay that kind of sales tax? Superwalmart is a great place up here for purchasing groceries, but having to figure the sales tax in Tn could really change my grocery budget. So what areas are less expensive without having to drive too far?
You might save about $10/wk going elsewhere. Would it be worth it?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Ok what the heck did I say that was off topic????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

I am beginning to definitely rethink moving to TN.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Ok what the heck did I say that was off topic????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

I am beginning to definitely rethink moving to TN.
Who said you said something off topic? I must've missed something.

And if you did say something off topic, why does that mean you will definitely rethink moving to TN?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
You all can't see it but I had to delete 14 posts in this thread. The thread is about property and taxes in TN. The 14 posts were either questioning others motives as to why they are choosing what they choose as far as job and place to live, political debates and bickering. They were all off the topic of taxes in TN. If you want to talk about a different TN topic, it is best to start a new thread. To answer your question AlisonL, you were asking Tony about selling his houses and him finding jobs and his motives behind that, what does that have to do with taxes in TN?
SOOOOO.... lets let this go and get back to the subject at hand in this thread, taxes.
Thank you.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
You all can't see it but I had to delete 14 posts in this thread. The thread is about property and taxes in TN. The 14 posts were either questioning others motives as to why they are choosing what they choose as far as job and place to live, political debates and bickering. They were all off the topic of taxes in TN. If you want to talk about a different TN topic, it is best to start a new thread. To answer your question AlisonL, you were asking Tony about selling his houses and him finding jobs and his motives behind that, what does that have to do with taxes in TN?
SOOOOO.... lets let this go and get back to the subject at hand in this thread, taxes.
Thank you.
Oh ok, that makes sense! I forgot that once posts are deleted, we can't see them. DUH. Thanks for setting us straight.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM

86 posts, read 333,736 times
I just scanned this thread and noticed comments were made specifically about taxes in Kingsport and Sullivan County. In my quick scan I did not see the following information summary....hope this offers some clarity.

Total City & County property taxes on a $200,000 home in Kingsport, Tennessee = $2,395 per year

For a family of 4....

· No solid waste, garbage, trash or recycling fees

· No special school tax

· No special district tax

· No wheel tax

· No state income tax on salaries/wages

· No personal property tax

· No vehicle inspection fees

· No annual vehicle taxes of any kind

· Water/Sewer = $50 per month

· Electricity = $64 per month

· Natural Gas = $100 per month

· Digital Cable = $80 per month

· Internationally accredited police and fire departments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee