Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times

Advertisements

NHartphotog, I think you'd find you would save a lot in property taxes there. I also don't like they tax on food, as it makes it still harder for the working poor.

This chart shows Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing as Percentage of Median Home Value, by State, Calendar Year 2010. Tennessee was 39th. NH was 3rd, Nebraska 6th (where I lived too much of my life), NJ was number 1! I'm sure the rankings are much the same now. Lots of good info on the site below.

Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing as Percentage of Median Home Value, by State, Calendar Year 2010 | Tax Foundation
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
NHartphotog, I think you'd find you would save a lot in property taxes there. I also don't like they tax on food, as it makes it still harder for the working poor.

This chart shows Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing as Percentage of Median Home Value, by State, Calendar Year 2010. Tennessee was 39th. NH was 3rd, Nebraska 6th (where I lived too much of my life), NJ was number 1! I'm sure the rankings are much the same now. Lots of good info on the site below.

Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing as Percentage of Median Home Value, by State, Calendar Year 2010 | Tax Foundation
Yep, and here is handy little interactive tool you can go county by county. Property Tax Lookup Tool The maps are great too.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
Tony's math is correct, but based on 100% appraisal to value, and that is not common practice in TN. His example of the $100K home costing $1,200 per year may actually only cost around $800 per year according to average tax appraisal valuations. That's where the break is.
Now let me water your eyes! I just moved from Anchorage, AK where the Municipal Appraiser goes for every darned penny of valuation at mil rates typically between 15.5 and 18. For reference, an average home there might cost $300 compared to maybe $150 in TN. I built a spacious log post and beam home on 22 acres expecting my taxes to be around $12,000 per year (yes, a grand a month). But we suffered an ambitious Mayor (Begich, now US Senator) who gamed the tax growth cap, and my taxes were above $18,000 a year within a few years! Valuation was $1.2 million, I appealed, they stonewalled, I sold for $925 and moved the hell out.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times
A post from a long time ago, from a far away place :-)

I'll say this: Taxes here are still on par with WA state = too expensive for what you get. But they are heaven on earth if you are from NY, NJ, or any other God forsaken part of the country that democrats control, with exceedingly high taxes, overarching involvement in citizens personal affairs and over-crowdedness.

Other than that, YMMV on taxation, cost of living, standard of living, quality of education and any other quality qualifiers that you care to look at when comparing to move from one area of the country to another.

Overall, TN has what I want in life, lowish taxes if you select your home location with that in mind (county) and you have the blessing to live your life generally free from overarching governmental intrusion into your daily life. And that is a good thing.

Welcome to all the yankees that think $2400 a year taxes is pennies on the dollar, and welcome to the others like me that think paying the government $200-$300 a month not to take your home from you is still a lot of money, no matter what the reason.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee44 View Post
Why are our taxes so high? It's really simple! It's because everybody on the planet wants to move here!!
Excellent first post. I'm saving it in the archives.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
It's just like Texas!

It's because you don't have a state income tax, so they have to make up for it somewhere.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
It's just like Texas!

It's because you don't have a state income tax, so they have to make up for it somewhere.
We make up for it with a high sales tax. Property taxes aren't that high from a national perspective. We're a lot lower than Texas.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
"A lot" lower is almost a understatement.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is TN property tax so high?-capture.png   Why is TN property tax so high?-1.png   Why is TN property tax so high?-2.png   Why is TN property tax so high?-4.png  

Last edited by Dhult; 11-12-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM

324 posts, read 714,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
We make up for it with a high sales tax. Property taxes aren't that high from a national perspective. We're a lot lower than Texas.
But a lot closer to Soddy Daisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee