Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM

643 posts, read 2,391,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
No. They've never lived in the South. They live in Northern California now.

I don't like the South? Are you kidding?

You might want to get everything sorted out before commenting.
If they have never lived in the South, then it would be a preconceived notion and stereotypical. N. Cal's post can be read two different ways. Without knowing their living situation one could conclude they are living in the South and looking to move to Northern California. I never said you didn't like the South. I think you read my post too quickly.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM

N. Cal,

I noticed that you are relocating to Nashville for work. You may end up enjoying Nashville. While you can't go to Napa on the weekends, there is plenty of good wine in Nashville. While you probably can't bike to work, there are a lot of great city parks and the Natchez Trace Parkway that is loaded with bikers on the weekend. A lot of people from California and the Northeast are moving to Nashville these days. It is home to Vanderbilt University, one of the best schools in the nation. Plus, what you will save by not paying California taxes means you can fly to California a few time a year without hurting your finances. There are rednecks in every state and they all like the same things. There are Christian fundamentalists in every state. Just as there are places in Mendocino County you shouldn't go unless you have business there, there are places like that in Tennessee and lets not forget the folks out in the Mojave Desert. Its probably not appropriate to state these preconceived notions and stereotypes on the Tennessee forum - leave that for your buddies back in California. In my experience every stereotype I've ever heard about the South is true if I think about it the right way. The folks in Tennessee also have stereotypes about people in California. :^)

Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,428,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I took their comments to mean they are living in Tennessee and want to move to Northern California because they do not like the South. I take your comments as a reaction to not liking the South. Plenty of people do not certain areas of the country, even areas of the country where they were born and grew up. There's no shortage of native Tennesseans living in other parts of the country because they "got tired of living in the South".
You addressed this to me.

And they made it quite clear that they are moving to the South from Northern California.

Bottom line: Knoxville has a lot of what they are looking for. If they are moving to Nashville, I don't know enough about the city to comment. I would be surprised if Nashville didn't have the same, if not more. But to paint all of the South with such a broad brush is stereotyping. The cities are far different than small towns and rural areas.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Why is it so important to you to try to prove you are correct?

"I take your comments as a reaction to (him) not liking the South"

I don't see it in this thread where it is clear that they are moving to the South from Northern California. I had to search by the username to see their current situation.

I don't see the reason to get wrapped around an axle over this.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM

16,179 posts, read 32,588,993 times
There are several different posts in this thread that are distasteful. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee