Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 41,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It kind of depends on the person. I think it can be very humid, but not consistantly. Being from Colorado it may seem more humid to you, but lots of folks that moved here from FL dont consider it very humid in TN. The temps can range from 70's to little over 100. My sons work construction and July and August can be pretty miserable, but overall its not that bad.
I think you are right on about that. I cant stand the dryness of Colorado I would prefer the humidity any day. I think we need to visit and decide if its right for us . I just like the fact that housing is more affordable and Tn seems to have beautiful scenery as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM

643 posts, read 2,388,389 times
I don't think you'll have much trouble in Tennessee as a glazer. Someone who was walking roofs midday or repairing farm fencing would have it much harder. People will be outdoors in Tennessee during the hottest parts of the day. They'll just walk slower. Anywhere in the state late August is the hottest time of the year and January is typically the coldest. In my experience utility bills are generally higher in the winter time. As an example, I had a 1300 square foot Cape Cod. My highest winter bill ever was $178 and my highest summer bill ever was about $105. My next door neighbor had about 2500 sq foot and was paying $300 in the summer because his wife liked to keep it like an ice box. We used to go outside the thaw out. Another neighbor with a similar house installed a gas fireplace to cut down on the heating costs.

Tennessee is a beautiful state and housing is affordable. The market is in the dumps and now is a great time to buy.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the response, that was pretty much the type of answer I was looking for.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Sure. I've lived in both Tennessee and Colorado in the past 5 years. The only other things I'd caution about Tennessee is not blindly falling in love with living rural. The more land you have, the more likely you are to be living with rednecks, hillbillies, farmers, and other country people. Expect dogs to wander around and bark at all hours of the day and night. If they get into your trash you have a right to do something about it, but barking is generally accepted in rural areas. Some people have target ranges on their property. Guns and hunting are common. In rural areas, electric, water, and phone service are often the only utilities. I did not like the city water in the Nashville area and used to drink only purified water. In East Tennessee I drank it straight from the tap. Sometimes water is by well. Most all will have septic systems. Living in the country is not some kind of urban subdivision with 5, 10, 20 or 100 acre lots. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM

I guess I am thinking more of areas to where you can horses, I grew up on a small ranch, well we called it a ranch but we raised and butcher our cows and pigs, had horses, chickens, geese, and ducks, even had some peacocks (veryannoying bird) and a pet racoon. Looking more for having just the horses, possibly a cow, but being able to have that option.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM

36,655 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisds9880 View Post
I guess I am thinking more of areas to where you can horses, I grew up on a small ranch, well we called it a ranch but we raised and butcher our cows and pigs, had horses, chickens, geese, and ducks, even had some peacocks (veryannoying bird) and a pet racoon. Looking more for having just the horses, possibly a cow, but being able to have that option.
Watch out, your starting to sound like the rednecks, hillbillies and farmers.

this is (was) Carley.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM

If you want horses or other farm animals you'll need someplace zoned for agricultural use & might have to be outside the city limits to find it. That doesn't mean you'll be miles from town, but it will limit your options. If you end up deciding to move to the Williamson County area feel free to PM me. I can recommend a realtor I've known and used for over 10 years that makes closings go smoothly.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM

24,776 posts, read 28,571,006 times
Depends on how old and what shape the ole body is in on how the heat / cold works on you. Is my theory

Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM

79 posts, read 323,045 times
60 in January.. what's not to love about TN?? I would stay away from the mid-TN bowl where flooding is always a concern. I live 200 feet above Dale Hollow and have hundreds of acres of woods around me. Except for the ocasional dog-in-heat, or coyote, it is very quiet around here. Love it! Summers are not as bad as some people make out. I take the top off of my ole' jeep in February and don't put it on until.. well... haven't had to yet so far this year, but only 2 cold months a year and 1 warm one means open windows and low HVAC costs....

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM

231 posts, read 596,412 times
Default Considering moving to Tn from Colorado

The Franklin area remains prosperous despite the economy of the Nation. Land will be expensive in that area, however you might consider the Spring Hill area which is a short drive away -it has a kind of 'Village" atmosphere. Summers are hot and HUMID. Temperatures and humidity are both in the 90's. A combination of 98 degrees with 98% humidity is mind boggling. The Tennessee Valley is notorious for being bad for people who have sinus problems. Other than that, it's a great place to live. I don't know much about the Maryville area, but it's worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee