Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times

Advertisements

[snif!]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times
Well put by all. Find what makes you happy and go after it. Life is too short to live in a place or situation that you're not satisfied with. One person's high price is another person's fine price.

If Florida is for you, fantastic! I've lived here half of my life now from Orlando to Jupiter to Bradenton(which my section is now called Lakewood Ranch). I enjoyed my time with my wife, raising our family and saw the growth. There is happiness to be found here and we have found it. But our hearts yearn for the mountains and a more seasonal climate to spend our next chapter. Not chasing a big pot of gold.

Enjoy life and don't rain on other people's parade. Find where it is sunny for you and make it happen. There is something out there for everyone.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM

186 posts, read 485,485 times
I live in Tampa, Florida, and I'm about to put an offer on a 3.4 acre ridge top lot in a nice brand new subdivision outside of Knoxville. I want the sale to be contingent on the results of a perk test. Who normally pays for this, the seller or the buyer? I know anything is negotiable, but I was curious as to what is customary. Anyone here have a phone number of who in Knox County government to call to arrange a perk test?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
I live in Tampa, Florida, and I'm about to put an offer on a 3.4 acre ridge top lot in a nice brand new subdivision outside of Knoxville. I want the sale to be contingent on the results of a perk test. Who normally pays for this, the seller or the buyer? I know anything is negotiable, but I was curious as to what is customary. Anyone here have a phone number of who in Knox County government to call to arrange a perk test?
We just recently had a perc test done in Maryville, TN. We paid for the perc because the developer had already done one for the site. So, this is usually done by the land owner to sell his property as "ready to build on". But, either can handle it.

As a property buyer, I would gladly pay the $200 fee to have the county environmental health department engineer do a perc at my convenience so that I could be present for the results.

This way you can indicate where you prefer your house to be sited (to prevent the drain field or tank to be just where you wanted your garage!), and string out the footprint of your house. You will get a much more accurate test this way.

Also, ask for an alternate site for your drain field to be perced at the same time. They should dig several holes at various spots in your proposes drain field to insure that you will have a backup area in case of the failure of the original area.

Tennessee State Government - Health Department, General Environmental Health

Phone: 865) 549-5334

Try here, Dave1961. They should be able to help you out.

Best of everything with your new home. Hope the perc is a good one.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:52 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:

If the seller hasn't done it already, they are leaving it up to you to test. The seller can do it just as easily as you but really, if you pay for it and decide it's not what you want, don't tell them what # of rooms it perked for because then your doing their leg work for the next seller to come around and all the seller has to say is "oh it perked for this # of rooms but it's not on file yet". Make sure there isn't a perk test on file already. Usually with subdivisions, they are already done unless there is a lot of acreage involved. Check with the health dept on that or heck, have the realtor do it. Our lot was not tested because it had more than 8 acres but all the smaller lots in the same subdivision were already done. Also, check with your county to see if a Perk test is required. We didn't require a perk test in Cocke county. We were able to get a Soil Map of our property in place of the perk test. It was $300 to test a 1 acre square. To do a soil mapping or perk testing, you need to contact a soil Scientist to do it. I have a list of soil scientist in TN given to me by the Health Dept. If your interested in any of their contact info and names, let me know. Let me know what area your in and i'll check my list. I do see some in Knoxville. I'll glady PM them to you. I too am in FL and basically we just met up with the soil scientist and told them where the home will be placed and we had them map out 1 full acre. We came back to FL while they continued the following day and they mailed us the maps in the mail.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Thumbs up Good advice, daniellefort.

Daniellefort, that is a good point about checking with the town or county to see what records are on file first. We did the very same thing to determine how many bdrms our "potential" lot's perc would allow.

Why pay for something that has already been done. Our lot however was perced for 2-3 bedrooms. Well, I'll be doggone - that leaves a bit of room to really muck up our plans. So, we did contact the soil scientist with the city of Maryville to have it redone and have a specific report.

(I tried to give you a rep point for your diligence, but I must have just repped you recently. Totally understandable!)

Old 12-01-2007, 05:51 PM

35 posts, read 204,858 times
Quote:
Dave1961 your looking at a new subdivision the developer should have already done this for you. The value of the land greatly depends upon the results. When I bought property it was already done I was given a copy of the results plus they showed me the ribbon tag on the closest tree where the test was completed. Good luck this forum post has been very informative.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Even if it's on record for a good perc, this is only good for a certain length of time to build. The perc tests were made tougher here in Crossville a year ago or so !!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
While it may be only good for a certain amount of time (here it's a year) at least it indicates what is possible.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
I agree; it cost us under a thousand bucks to get all the testing done on our own (and we needed some specialized stuff). Worth every dime in peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee