Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:07 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,661 times

Advertisements

THIS is definitely a free program you should download if you're curious about areas to live. The satelitte pictures may be a little dated, but it will help you see an overview of the area you are interested in immediately. This was awesome to look at New Orleans after Katrina, or to look at other countries.

To give you an even more insight on how well it works, yesterday I was trying to get in touch with my son who had gone swimming with a friend athe the friend's grandparents house...When he wasn't answering his cell, I knew it must be on manner-mode. I didn't know the name of the grandparents but I knew the general area the house was in but couldn't remember the name of the street. I just went to Google Earth and scanned that area until I could see the house with a pool. It told me the name of the street, and through that I found out the grandparents name by a real estate tax record search.

It is a good tool...and it keeps my kids thinking I can find them ANYWHERE
Yep...I shoulda been a PI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Yes but unfortuneately, not all the roads show up. We found our property we just bought in TN but the rest of the roads in the subdivision for access to our property didn't show up. It still shows it as a huge grassy field which it still is only there's roads now paved throughout. But i agree, it is a great tool and fun to play with.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 AM

485 posts, read 561,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Yes but unfortuneately, not all the roads show up. We found our property we just bought in TN but the rest of the roads in the subdivision for access to our property didn't show up. It still shows it as a huge grassy field which it still is only there's roads now paved throughout. But i agree, it is a great tool and fun to play with.
Sometimes you have to zoom in very close to see the roads. Few show from a distance; the closer you get, the more roads show. Some zoomed images get so close you can see cars and trucks on the roads.

Google does need to update the images at least once a month, though, if this is to be an effective tool.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
It was fun when that first came out zooming around to where others lived and worked.

Here I am: 220 Great Circle Road Nashville TN

Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
Sometimes you have to zoom in very close to see the roads. Few show from a distance; the closer you get, the more roads show. Some zoomed images get so close you can see cars and trucks on the roads.

Google does need to update the images at least once a month, though, if this is to be an effective tool.
Right. i zoomed in so close, i could count the leaves on the trees though and the roads still didn't appear. There's another web site out there i believe it's with the nasa satellite. I was able to zoom in on my brother in laws cars in his yard. I can't remember the site name but it too was quite fun to play with.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Google Earth still shows my husband's old boat parked in my MIL's backyard! I love that site!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I just zoomed in on Alleycat's workplace. There he goes! He's sending my plant via Fed Ex! Uh-oh! Here comes the Feds that work next door! They are pushing him down to the ground! They don't realize that it's a trumpet vine!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
While google earth is fun you need to remember that the pics are generally a couple of years old. I also wish they would update monthly but not as of yet I guess.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 AM

250 posts, read 1,470,137 times
if you go to the weather channel and click on the interactive map at the bottom of the page and scrollto the area you want to look at it is very clear infact sometimes it is clearer than googleearth!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I just zoomed in on Alleycat's workplace. There he goes! He's sending my plant via Fed Ex! Uh-oh! Here comes the Feds that work next door! They are pushing him down to the ground! They don't realize that it's a trumpet vine!
I just said it was a trumpet vine . . . you're not allergic to poison oak, are you?

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee