Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

Do they tend to make more than General Education teacher's? I know money isn't everything. But I'd want to be able to make decent money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 07:56 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
It depends on the district. You can look up your local districts as payscales are generally public.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:06 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
It depends on the district. You can look up your local districts as payscales are generally public.
Correct. It also depends a great deal about where in the country the school district is located. You'll notice that the pay in places like New York are MUCH higher than in midwestern states as an example. Don't be fooled by this. The cost of living in places like NY will eat up that pay differential real fast. Your net pay considering this COL difference will in many cases make you worse off if you're there.

Average pay by state is easily available. Each school district often post their pay scale on their websites.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:36 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_L View Post
Do they tend to make more than General Education teacher's? I know money isn't everything. But I'd want to be able to make decent money.
In my current district PASS teachers and LI SPED teachers get $1,000-3,000 yearly stipends. Other SPED teachers, such as interventionists, collaborative teachers, and resource teachers do not. PASS are the behavior disorder students and in today’s climate it is quite a high bar for misbehavior to get that label, as in proven dangerous, not just threatening. LI stands for Low Incidence Disabilities and are primarily kids whose disabilities are severe to the degree that they need specialized help or are incapable of being in regular classes without a dedicated aide. The stipends started a couple of years ago because those are very, very hard jobs to fill. Honestly, I don’t think it’s enough as the chances of being injured on the job are exponentially higher than most other positions in education. Not all districts have them, either.

Be forewarned however that stipends can go away from one year to the next without warning. Trust me they will if we get another teacher glut and desperate people will take the jobs to get a foot in the door. Vacancy levels, by the way, is the biggest advantage of being special ed over general ed - it makes getting a job easier and you are less likely to get pink slipped unless you are just ragingly incompetent or do something just plain stupid.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:30 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Following on Old Hag, SPED teachers, absent any stipends which can and do go away, get paid at whatever step on the salary scale they fall.

EX: BS Step 3 SPE is paid the same as BS Step 3 Math/English/Social Studies/etc.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My wife was a Special Ed Para-educator for 18 years. In our district the SPED teachers tended to burn out after 5-6 years and go back to the regular classroom teaching. With the parents hiring legal help (student advocates) to demand every minute of every service they are entitled to, and with the increasing number of kids suffering from seizures or exhibiting violent behavior, it takes a lot out of the teacher. Eventually they decide it's not worth the additional pay, about $11,000 more/year.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:55 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Following on Old Hag, SPED teachers, absent any stipends which can and do go away, get paid at whatever step on the salary scale they fall.

EX: BS Step 3 SPE is paid the same as BS Step 3 Math/English/Social Studies/etc.
That was true in our district, as well.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
At my high school in Maui, Sped teachers receive a stipend of $10,000 per year.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife was a Special Ed Para-educator for 18 years. In our district the SPED teachers tended to burn out after 5-6 years and go back to the regular classroom teaching. With the parents hiring legal help (student advocates) to demand every minute of every service they are entitled to, and with the increasing number of kids suffering from seizures or exhibiting violent behavior, it takes a lot out of the teacher. Eventually they decide it's not worth the additional pay, about $11,000 more/year.
In my previous district in California, once you were certified as Sped, you could not get out of it. You became Sped for the rest of your career. The rules there said that the District could use you in any capacity for which you were credentialed. Hence you were stuck, due to the shortage.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:10 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In my previous district in California, once you were certified as Sped, you could not get out of it. You became Sped for the rest of your career. The rules there said that the District could use you in any capacity for which you were credentialed. Hence you were stuck, due to the shortage.
Wow, that REALLY takes away the incentive to get certified for Sped. What teacher wants their career permanently dictated to them with no recourse available? Doing this in California, doesn't this make it even harder to get teachers to transition into Sped? To me, this is creating an uninteded consequence from the state's actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching