Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM

125 posts, read 433,088 times

Advertisements

Chakkuri-we lived on Montauk in the 70's also, 346 to be precise. I remember the Cases and the Fortiers, the other names that mfayard listed don't sound familiar. Some of my best memories are on that base and its very sad to see the state it is in...the bowling alley is gone, the O Club is gone, it's just sad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,440 times
Hey everyone, 313 Montauk Circle here - late 60s! Eight of us crammed into that place! I remember my Dad worked in the Sage building. I wondered how he could stand being cooped up in there. Movies at the theater were 15 cents. We were outraged when they charged 25 cents to see the Ten Commandments. The skating rink in the winter was fun, even though I had no coordination. I enjoyed the library, too, and shopping at the commissary with Mom. Went to St. Margarets school off base with my siblings. I loved Hancock - it was like our own private town.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 AM

Default skating rink

wow, I'd forgotten about the skating rink! we were never really able to skate on it because the ice was always uneven.....I remember, however, sledding down the hill behind Montauk...by the way, we lived at 365 Montauk

Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 AM

16 posts, read 110,394 times
Wow! So many former Montauk dwellers!!! Gosh, I wish I can remember our old house number.

Did any of you go to Bessie B. Riordan Elementary? I was in the fourth grade there in 1973-74. It was actually one of the better schools I went to. I remember I had "team teachers" Mrs. Grasse and Mrs. Macko, our three day class trip to Boston, those blue & white striped gymsuits we had to wear, the fish sandwiches every Friday and the sad day that dear old Mrs. Henry, an admistrator, passed out at school and later died. As a 9 year old, it really freaked me out.

I hear Riordan some sort of retirement home/senior apartments now.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 AM

I went to Bessie B. at that time! My 4th grade teacher (72-73) was Mrs. Mirucki and my 5th grade teacher was Mr. Smith. I remember planting trees for Arbor Day at the front of the school......I don't remember what they served in the cafeteria, I remember a play we put on for President's Day (Abe Lincoln's B'day) I even remember my line!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM

75 posts, read 87,384 times
I also lived on Montauk Circle. Ours was the 3rd or 4th house on the right as you entered Montauk. My Dad was airforce, and worked in the sage building too. I did 1st-4th grade in syracuse, so I guess it was probably 73-76-ish that I was there. One year at Bessie B Riordan elementary, then they moved all us all to Smith (?) elementary for my last 3 years.

Spent many a summer day in the creek between montauk and the next one over, catching frogs, and many a summer day on the baseball field across the street. Do you guys remember the van coming around nightly in the summer that sprayed huge clouds of DDT out in an effort to control the mosquitos?

Our last name was Hunt. I remember Welch, Granger, Stoner, Gonzales as last names.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQuixote View Post
I also lived on Montauk Circle. Ours was the 3rd or 4th house on the right as you entered Montauk. My Dad was airforce, and worked in the sage building too. I did 1st-4th grade in syracuse, so I guess it was probably 73-76-ish that I was there. One year at Bessie B Riordan elementary, then they moved all us all to Smith (?) elementary for my last 3 years.

Spent many a summer day in the creek between montauk and the next one over, catching frogs, and many a summer day on the baseball field across the street. Do you guys remember the van coming around nightly in the summer that sprayed huge clouds of DDT out in an effort to control the mosquitos?

Our last name was Hunt. I remember Welch, Granger, Stoner, Gonzales as last names.
I live down the street from the old Bessie Riordan Elementary School. It's a old folks apartment building now. Smith Road Elementary is still there. Some of the buildings are still up and I've heard that law enforcement and fire agencies use it for training.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM

16 posts, read 110,394 times
Yes, I do indeed remember "bug truck" coming around and spraying for mosquitoes. I also remember how all us kids would scream and run to take cover!

I enjoyed my year at Bessie B. I seem to recall they had the "Up With People" group (remember them?) come to perform for us. I also remember they had a brief period where they let us change classes for an hour once or twice a week to do elective type classes such as jewelry making, music lessons, etc. I took knitting and still remember the stitches to this day!

When I think of all the cool things we did at that school back in the 70s and look at the financially strapped school system we now have here in FL where they are cutting back on field trips, the arts, physical education and admin staff, I realize how very lucky I was to have had those educational opportunities.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 AM

WOW!!! I'd forgotten about that truck!!!
I also remember every day at 4 o'clock, they'd play the National Anthem on the loud speakers and you could hear them all the way over to housing and we'd have to stop what we were doing and listen....
That creek in between Montauk and Barrington Circle..wwo..memories..we'd slide down that hill in the winter time....
AND does anyone remember the rumor about "The Bloody Man" in the woods?..that little path from housing over to the old youth center?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Chakkuri--I remember the UP With People too...we MUST have gone there at the same time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area