Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
It seems they are incorporating some pedestrian connectivity between the campus and the project. The wsyr9 report indicated that they are going to reconfigure the intersection from a five way to a four way signalled intersection.
Yeah. They've asked for the city to abandon the segment of Audobon Parkway between the library and that building (which, IMO, is a very good thing!) and I believe the channel 9 coverage indicated they might even switch down to an all way stop. It's got to be one of the least intuitive intersections in Syracuse, where when the signal is operating the two directions with green are *not* the two ends of the through street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
http://www.esf.edu/annualreport/2009/

I came across SUNY ESF's 2009 annual report yesterday. If you turn to pages 19-22, there is a brief summary of three proposed construction projects; a rendering of the new Gateway Building; and a master plan layout. I had heard about the Gateway Building and student housing, but I missed the proposed Academic Research Building. In the current economic environment, it is good to see any construction (anywhere)!

On a side note, you have to see the number of empty storefronts around my neck of the woods.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
http://www.esf.edu/annualreport/2009/

I came across SUNY ESF's 2009 annual report yesterday. If you turn to pages 19-22, there is a brief summary of three proposed construction projects; a rendering of the new Gateway Building; and a master plan layout. I had heard about the Gateway Building and student housing, but I missed the proposed Academic Research Building. In the current economic environment, it is good to see any construction (anywhere)!

On a side note, you have to see the number of empty storefronts around my neck of the woods.
From the office that produced that document, I can tell you that the Academic Research Building is a while off from construction - if memory serves, that isn't planned to begin until the other two buildings are at least substantially underway if not completed - so no earlier than next year.

They're doing excavation outside my office window for the parking lot that will accomodate most of the spaces lost in building the Gateway Building, which is supposed to begin construction this summer as of the last we've heard.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM

The report said construction of the ARB will be completed 2014, a few years off. I had not heard of it until I (briefly) skimmed the report. I actually was looking for any information regarding the CNY Biotech Research Center. I hope they "plant" a construction cam like the CofE.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 PM

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...ent_proje.html

The long awaited $25 million project to redevelop four historic buildings at Salina and Fayette Streets downtown into apartments and stores will move forward this spring. There seems to be some hefty incentives, but it really is needed. It is a pretty significant project with 87 apartments and retail.

I think this project and the recently annouced Dey Brothers redevelopment will go a long way in redeveloping Salina Street and the heart of downtown. These "gems" would continue to sit empty if there were not a market for downtown housing.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...nvert_for.html

I agree w/David Nutting (VIP Structures) that “This project creates an exciting link between a mature historic district in Armory Square and the newly designated South Salina Street Historic district.” I did not know South Salina Street was designated a Historic District though. Its a huge opportunity.

I look forward to seeing the redevelopment of the Hotel Syracuse begin again, along with Warran Street and Columbus Circle (Mizpah Tower).

Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._proje.htmlThe long awaited $25 million project to redevelop four historic buildings at Salina and Fayette Streets downtown into apartments and stores will move forward this spring. There seems to be some hefty incentives, but it really is needed. It is a pretty significant project with 87 apartments and retail. I think this project and the recently annouced Dey Brothers redevelopment will go a long way in redeveloping Salina Street and the heart of downtown. These "gems" would continue to sit empty if there were not a market for downtown housing.http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...vert_for.htmlI agree w/David Nutting (VIP Structures) that “This project creates an exciting link between a mature historic district in Armory Square and the newly designated South Salina Street Historic district.†I did not know South Salina Street was designated a Historic District though. Its a huge opportunity. I look forward to seeing the redevelopment of the Hotel Syracuse begin again, along with Warran Street and Columbus Circle (Mizpah Tower).
I think moving the CENTRO bus hub helps this development and I wonder if the South Salina/Fayette Street area will take shape in terms of being more walkable or look similar to the SyracUSA design that was presented in the early 70's. From what I can remember from seeing some of the plan for SyracUSA, it looked similar to what the Commons in Ithaca look like. I believe the Onondaga Historical Society did a display of former plans for the city that never came to fruition.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Wow, SyracUSA, that is a blast from the past. It was one of the first projects that I was interested in when I was a teen. I knew then what my vocation would be, planning and development. I would love to see those designs you mentioned. If you have any renderings and can post them, that would be great.

You bring up a good point, if they can transform Salina Street into a Ithaca Commons-type corridor that emphasises pedestrian friendly walkability, Salina Street would be a magnet of development. It might be possible to re-direct Salina Streeet traffic one way in either direction along Clinton Street and Warren Street.

Or, alow traffic along Salina Street with a designated Bus Rapid Transit lane which would encourage residents and visitors to use transit. The designated lanes would be landscaped with BRT stations along the route.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Wow, SyracUSA, that is a blast from the past. It was one of the first projects that I was interested in when I was a teen. I knew then what my vocation would be, planning and development. I would love to see those designs you mentioned. If you have any renderings and can post them, that would be great.

You bring up a good point, if they can transform Salina Street into a Ithaca Commons-type corridor that emphasises pedestrian friendly walkability, Salina Street would be a magnet of development. It might be possible to re-direct Salina Streeet traffic one way in either direction along Clinton Street and Warren Street.

Or, alow traffic along Salina Street with a designated Bus Rapid Transit lane which would encourage residents and visitors to use transit. The designated lanes would be landscaped with BRT stations along the route.
I would love to see that and like you mentioned it could work as Warren Street is a one way street that goes north and Clinton Street is a one way that goes South. People can access them by using Jefferson and Washington.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
There are several YouTube videos that provide a glimpse of the proposed design

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qPi8ZuoCAs&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzYp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0G_c_uBz0I

Very impressive!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
I missed the video of the Chamberlain Building

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEo...layer_embedded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area