Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times

Advertisements

Syracuse council opens door to private security at airport | syracuse.com

Good to see the Airport Authority moving quickly on reducing costs that will ulitmately reduce fares and attract more airlines. It seems that City Councilors are on board with the AA plan to replace City police with private security firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Construction of Syracuse's covered downtown (Centro) bus station nearly complete:

Construction of Syracuse's covered downtown bus station nearly complete | syracuse.com

Its an impressive and imposing structure, esp. from above. I like the emphasis on "green" design and infrastructure, particularly storm water mitigation, i.e. "save the rain".

"The new hub’s outside lanes — where snow can accumulate — are lined with a hot-water system meant to constantly melt all but the heaviest snowfalls. The hub also will collect rainwater that falls on the roof and direct it through a special drain that puts the water back into the ground, rather than into an already flood-prone storm water and sewage system.

"Tiered roofs will allow sunlight — though not rain or snow — to filter in."
A great green charade.

At the insistence of traffic engineers, the bus transfer station is built without sidewalks. The Salina and Warren Street sides of the structure will feature bus bays directly adjacent to the street, to allow busses to enter without negotiating a tight turn. The east side of Salina and the west side of Warren will no longer be pedestrian accessible.

I did check out the Wallace Street-to-Franklin Square portion of the Creekwalk this weekend, though. They did a terrific job; I wish the Armory portion had been similarly constructed. It looks like there's a regular SPD bicycle patrol along the path, too.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 AM

162 posts, read 274,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I did check out the Wallace Street-to-Franklin Square portion of the Creekwalk this weekend, though. They did a terrific job; I wish the Armory portion had been similarly constructed. It looks like there's a regular SPD bicycle patrol along the path, too.
Looking at the following photo, it appears that they originally planned, or maybe just planned as part of a project alternative, to run the entire downtown portion of the Creekwalk directly adjacent to the creek. Having walked the entire thing, I wish they had.

Onondaga Creekwalk | syracuse.com

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
I just saw that not ten minutes ago.

I wonder why the change? Limited budget, I suppose. Though I don't understand why National Grid, with its enormous superblock of wasted space, wouldn't see this construction as a nice public relations opportunity ("Sure, we'll grant you an easement to build a promenade on the unused west side of our property"). That Genesee/Franklin sidewalk portion of the walk is really bush league.

I also think the city and county might have wasted an opportunity to extract a public benefit from Pioneer when they built their new office building along the creek between Washington and Fayette; a proper privately-funded promenade along there could have been a great asset for the city, and probably made for some attractive retail/restaurant space in their building.

It would be nice if the city makes some accomodation for future creekwalk expansion when they reconstruct the Walton, Fayette, and Erie bridges in coming years. The current link is very nice - they did a good job. If other recently-constructed portions can be improved in coming years (widening the waterway, bringing the path down to water-level, eliminating some street crossings), the whole length would really be an asset to the region.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
Looking at the following photo, it appears that they originally planned, or maybe just planned as part of a project alternative, to run the entire downtown portion of the Creekwalk directly adjacent to the creek. Having walked the entire thing, I wish they had.

Onondaga Creekwalk | syracuse.com
Couple Questions:

- Is there direct access to Destiny USA (CCM, or what ever it is called now) from the walk and where is it? I noticed the photos near Destiny, but I am not clear about pedestrian access.
- Are there kiosks along the creekwalk that direct pedestrians to points of interest?

In any event, I am looking forward to visting over the holidays to check out the creek walk. I love to walk and bike for exercise. I am impressed by the P-S photos, but you really don't know how well it was planned and constructed until you experience it. In any event, I think it will be a great tourist destination and will attract development within the inner-harbor.

I think it is really cool that Syracuse Dog Control Officer Jason Driscoll takes his kayak to work (from the valley to inner-harbor). Great exercise!!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-25-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,622,137 times
Cafe Kubal Opens First Downtown Location at Dey's Building:
http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2011/10/newest_coffee_trend_pour-over_brewing_arrives_in_syracuse_at_cafe_kubal.htm l

Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM

60 posts, read 110,000 times
You think people are going to line up in the morning and wait for this time consuming process just for a cup of coffee? I don't believe it will work-folks are in a hurry.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM

93,448 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
You think people are going to line up in the morning and wait for this time consuming process just for a cup of coffee? I don't believe it will work-folks are in a hurry.
Perhaps those that live, study and work Downtown might though. It offers another option for Downtown and it is a local product, which is icing on the cake.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
The article says they've already been doing it in their store on Tully St and are working on getting it going in the store in Eastwood. Apparently it's very popular in NYC, so there obviously is some demand for it.

Me personally, I'm not a coffee fanatic

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,843 times
It will work in some places and not in others. With an extra staff person on hand and tight control over process it can work in a commercial cafe environment but only when customers believe the extra few minutes of waiting time is worth it. I've been making my brewed coffee with various pourover methods (originally Melitta and Chemex and lately with a Hario brand cone or a Clever Dripper) since 1979. yes I'm that old and have been into coffee for that long ;-) If done correctly it yields a better cup - no doubt about that.

A hybrid approach used by some cafes is to offer batch brewed coffee from airpots until 11 AM to accommodate the morning rush and then offer only manual pourover from 11 until closing time. This reduces morning rush waiting time, allows a wider choice of coffees for the typically more leisurely afternoon or evening customers and also greatly reduces waste. The popularity of by-the-cup manual pourover is a global trend among progressive cafes that are pursuing best cup quality - it's not just in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area