Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 22,858 times

Advertisements

I'm going to (hopefully) be starting a new job in Utica in ~1 month. I've been thinking about moving to Syracuse and commuting the hour (according to google maps) to Utica. I've been to Syracuse and really like the city and atmosphere, plus I'm having a tough time finding rentals in Utica, plus living in Syracuse puts me closer to my significant other.

How feasible does this commute sound? Is google maps accurate when it says it will be about an hour drive each way? I'm sure it'll be a pain in the winter, but how much of a pain if I have snow tires and reasonably good winter driving skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM

93,229 posts, read 123,819,554 times
It is possible, but I don't know if you want to do that in times like these with gas and all. In Syracuse, our Jewish community is centered around the Eastside, Jamesville-DeWitt and within the last 20 years or so, into the Fayetteville-Manlius areas. All of these areas are connected and are nice. That also puts you on the side of Syracuse closer to Utica. There is a JCC in DeWitt and that seems to be where most of the area synogogues are, eventhough I know of one in the North Syracuse/Liverpool area as well. Here is some info. if you like:JCC of Syracuse

Jewish Synagogues in the Syracuse Area

If it was me, I would live in the DeWitt area. You could take Route 481 to the Thurway to get to work in Utica.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 PM

97 posts, read 416,820 times
My Dad made this same commute for over 10 years I'd say. In the winter it can be bad, and it takes about an hour any way you cut it. This was also before the advent of $3+ gas. Snow tires cut down on your gas mileage, keep that in mind.

Get an efficient car and you should be fine. Way back in 2000 I was working out the possible savings for buying a hybrid, given the number of miles he used to drive. We'd put 100,000 miles on a car in 3 years, a 40mpg Saturn.

It can be done, and I like Syracuse more than what I've seen of Utica, which admittedly isn't that much.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,580 times
Dangerous in winter.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 21,713 times
I live in Syracuse and work in Liberty (168 miles) Of course I have an apartment down there. i work 3 days a week and home for 4

Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Man.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrukr63 View Post
I live in Syracuse and work in Liberty (168 miles) Of course I have an apartment down there. i work 3 days a week and home for 4
Now, that's a trip. Considering that you have to take Route 17, how is that in the winter?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 26,999 times
I used to make that exact same commute, and wouldn't recomend it. The thruway is kept up quite well in the wintertime, but there are some places along the way that geographically can't be de-iced/plowed often enough to help. The gas prices nowadays are another reason why going a little closer to Utica would be good...have you looked at rentals between the 2, say like Oneida and chittenango?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Or even Rome, which also has a synagogue. Here it is:synagogues in oneida, ny - Google Maps

Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,337 times
In our department there were 10 or 12 individuals and several others throughout the company, Utica National, commuting from the Syracuse area. That was in the 90s. They often had car pools which, of course helped saved on gas, tolls, vehicle wear and tear etc. I'm not aware of any problems although there will be a few winter days that may be white knucklers.
I got no indication the threader 'DonCherryfan' is jewish as indicated by some posters. In any case two of the attys in our department were jewish and from what I heard they found Utica and it's jewish community and synagogue(s) to be quite friendly.
Good luck in your new position!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area