Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,667 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in Oswego and commute to Syracuse? I was offered a teaching position in Syracuse and was wondering if the drive was doable and how winter weather effected the drive/closings. I went to the interview and clocked it at 50 min, but could probably shave a few minutes off once I know where I'm going. Was wondering how long it took people in the winter to make the drive, or if a lot of people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,851 times
I used to drive from Syracuse to SUNY Oswego to take classes. The winter can be treacherous at times and can take you quite a bit longer than 50 minutes. Do you have a vehicle with 4 wheel drive? That helps. I had a Honda CRV. There probably are some people around that do the daily commute, but I hated it with a passion and I only drove it a couple of days a week. When the roads are clear it is not so bad. Watch out for deer though.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,110 times
Default Why Oswego?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibichan0307 View Post
Does anyone live in Oswego and commute to Syracuse? I was offered a teaching position in Syracuse and was wondering if the drive was doable and how winter weather effected the drive/closings. I went to the interview and clocked it at 50 min, but could probably shave a few minutes off once I know where I'm going. Was wondering how long it took people in the winter to make the drive, or if a lot of people do it.
Hello chibichan0307,

Yes, you can commute from Oswego to Syracuse during winter; some of my friends drive the commute=add TIME to your drive during heavy snowfall. The long drive also means more money spent on gas for your car. I also have friends in Fulton, Mexico, Parish, Central Square, Phoenix, Pennellville, West Monroe & Constantia. My friends who live in Fulton, Mexico, Parish, West Monroe & Constantia are the ones who MOST dislike the drive IN and handling/removing snow at their homes/town area. One guy from Fulton says, "I have to remove snow in my driveway in the morning to go to work, and I have to remove snow in order to get back into my driveway after work at night." This guy has told me that it has taken him 2+ hours to drive from North Syracuse to Fulton-about 24 miles-in heaviest blinding snowfall. Not something I would EVER consider doing; I would never consider working in Metro Syracuse and living NORTH of the Onondaga County border. (Contrast this with myself here in the Syracuse suburbs, there's not too many days that I absolutely MUST remove snow in my driveway at night when I get home from work.) Oswego city SOMETIMES receives a little less snowfall than the other towns mentioned above, but you still have to DRIVE THROUGH some of the HEAVIEST SNOWFALL area (not necessarily daily BLIZZARDS) which is about 2 miles south of Oswego city southward to the Route 31 area at Liverpool/Clay. The landmass East and Southeast of Lake Ontario is one of the 2 heaviest Snowfall regions in New York State; the other region is East/Southeast/South of Lake Erie around the Buffalo area all the way to Cleveland Ohio.

Is there a specific reason you want to live in Oswego city? If it's because you don't want to live in URBAN Metro Syracuse, there are other closer to Syracuse countryside villages that you could consider such as Chittenango area, Jamesville area, Cazenovia area, Elbridge area, Warners area. There is a suburban development area called "Radisson", near Baldwinsville, which has a nice, quiet, pleasant countryside-residential-feel because it is located in a heavily forested/wooded area: woods, ponds, small wildlife, walking/biking trails, green-space. And a little farther away from Syracuse are the towns of: Weedsport-drive Interstate 90, Marcellus, Skaneatles, Canastota-drive Interstate 90. These farther away towns or higher elevation towns will still have snowfall but maybe not quite as bad as Oswego county towns/villages receive; I know people who DO commute to Syracuse daily from farther away towns like Waterloo and Canastota.

Feel free to ask me additional questions.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 09-10-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
If you want to live closer to Syracuse, look into the Soule Road area of Clay, Baldwinsville/Radisson, North Syracuse and maybe even Phoenix. That would cut your commute down, put you close to shopping, you'll be in safe areas with good schools and Syracuse is only about 15 minutes away(give. Or take). I'd suggest that you take Route 481 to Oswego. You could take 690, but the route becomes 2 lane Route 48 just north of the village of Baldwinsville. Personally, the Soule Road Kimbrook areas of Clay would probably be perfect. Kimbrook is in the Baldwinsville SD and the Soule Road area is in the Liverpool SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area