Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,410 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
My hubby and I are planning to buy a house in the CNS school district. We are looking at homes in Clay and Cicero, and as far as I can tell, there are no major differences between the two areas. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
On a side note, anyone have advice for buying a home with a pool in the area? is that just asking for trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
You're correct, not much difference between Cicero or Clay. A few minor differences:

-Parts of Clay have lower taxes than Cicero.

-Since the Cicero Swamp is in Cicero... Clay may have fewer mosquitoes

-Some parts of Cicero near the swamp have basement flooding issues in rainy Springs, but a house with a sump pump usually solves that problem

-IMO the best part of the CNS school district is in the Clay neighborhoods surrounding the Bear Road/Buckley Road intersection....Wild Creek, some of developments just west of the Village of North Syracuse all the near Wegmans on Taft Road. Homes there keep there value and are always in high demand.

Lots of homes have pools in the Cicero/Clay area. Mostly the uglier above ground pools. Many neighbors at one time or another went through a phase of buying a pool, then realizing they are not worth the cost or effort to maintain...then they pull them out. I've never had one myself... never much of swimmer.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 PM

10 posts, read 37,838 times
Reviving this old thread, what are the differences in property taxes between the two areas? I'm just guessing that Cicero's is higher due to waterfront property?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Default I agree with this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're correct, not much difference between Cicero or Clay. A few minor differences:

-Parts of Clay have lower taxes than Cicero.

-Since the Cicero Swamp is in Cicero... Clay may have fewer mosquitoes

-Some parts of Cicero near the swamp have basement flooding issues in rainy Springs, but a house with a sump pump usually solves that problem

-IMO the best part of the CNS school district is in the Clay neighborhoods surrounding the Bear Road/Buckley Road intersection....Wild Creek, some of developments just west of the Village of North Syracuse all the near Wegmans on Taft Road. Homes there keep there value and are always in high demand.

Lots of homes have pools in the Cicero/Clay area. Mostly the uglier above ground pools. Many neighbors at one time or another went through a phase of buying a pool, then realizing they are not worth the cost or effort to maintain...then they pull them out. I've never had one myself... never much of swimmer.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Out of the two, I think that Clay and that part that bellafinzi stated are the best parts of the district. It's probably the most diverse part of the district in multiple ways too(ethnically, economically, etc.) and still nice.

I live in the district too in Mattydale, but that is more working class-middle class. A part of the district I think people overlook that is nice, but is mainly in the town of Salina part is Pitcher Hill. It's an older suburban development that is still well kept and affordable. Some of the neighborhoods in Pitcher hill go to Liverpool schools too. I think the two or three western most streets go to Liverpool and the rest go to North Syracuse schools.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterflea View Post
Reviving this old thread, what are the differences in property taxes between the two areas? I'm just guessing that Cicero's is higher due to waterfront property?
For the North Syracuse school district, I believe Clay has slightly lower property taxes than Cicero. The waterfront could be one reason, other reasons that I'm aware of include....1) the Town of Clay has been historically a better run town, 2) Clay has a larger commercial and industrial tax base to off-set the residential taxes.

Here are the out-dated statistics...from a couple years ago (best I could find):

Property and School Taxes on a $100,000 house by school district

Town of Cicero
North Syracuse ~ $2,478
Central Square ~ $2,260

Town of Clay
North Syracuse ~ $2,342
Liverpool ~ $2,728
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area