Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 AM

538 posts, read 2,458,608 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the need for special education teachers is in the Syracuse area? How about teachers in general? It would be nice to know if my wife can also find work before we move up. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
dcomposto, glad I could help!

There is a shortage of Foreign Language, Math and Science teachers in the Syracuse area. I'm not sure about special education. Elementary school teachers are having trouble finding jobs. Too many people coming out of local colleges certified as Elementary teachers, but not enough in specialized fields like Math or Science etc.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 PM

More pictures of Clay.

The large Industrial Park:

The Route 11 commercial area near the Airport

Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 PM

24 posts, read 145,723 times
Thanks for all your great photos.

I took a ride around Syracuse. It was cut short because I had my children with me. We went to the Zoo then drove a short distance around Onondaga area off of Onondaga Blvd. I definitely liked the views up there--very appealing and the homes were nice. They look like older homes and I hope to buy a house that has minimal updating/fixing up (we are trying to stay under $200,000) I wanted to check out some areas off of Howlet Hill Rd, but never made it over there. This area is appealing to me because I hear their schools are quite good and they are smaller. My only issue is that my husband will be working in the Woodard Industrial Park. Would this be an awful commute for him? How is crime around this area being that it is so close to the city? Maybe Howlet Hill Rd area is better since it is further?

We also took a loooong drive up to Baldwinsville (kids finally fell asleep!!). We drove around the Radisson community. This area is also appealing to me. Not as scenic, but it was ok. Some of the homes were a little too close to each other, but they were nice. I looked up some homes in that area and thought the taxes were quite high, but I guess not too far off from some of the other towns I am interested in.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:11 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,789 times
dcomposto,

The Howlett Hill area is very nice and is in either Westhill or West Genesse school districts. Actually Howlett Hill Rd will take you through Camillus and into Marcellus. The area I think you were in is near Harris RD? This is with in the Taunton Fire district, and has little crime at all. I know this area very well so if you have any questions please ask. I'm not as familiar with B'ville or Clay area. The Howlett Hill Rd area has both new and older homes to choose from. For $200,000.00 you should be able to get a nice home with very little to renovate. Most homes in this area have a decent sized lot at least 1/4 acre or more. The farther west you travel on Howlett Hill Rd the more land is available and there is more of a scenic view. Take into consideration that this area doesn't have a mall or supermarket close by. You would have to go to Camillus mall area or down near Westernlights to shop. I would rather see you go to Camillus, this area is a bit more safer for someone new in town.
Sorry to cut it short but I gotta go to bed...Ask more questons and I'll try and answer them. I'm not sure where Woodward Park is located, so I can't estimate your husbands drive time.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,544 times
dcomposto, We live in Baldwinsville or affectionately known as B'ville. Love it here, check out the developments of Abbotts Landing and Clinton Hights they are nieghboring comminiuties along with Holly Hill. Very pretty and convienient to everything. Raddison is nice but we like these areas better. Onondaga hill is nice and we considered that area, just bare in mind that there is not much shopping in that area, every thing is either a 20 minute drive or better or you have to go into or through some less desiable parts of the city. Good luck Syacuse is a great place

Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 PM

dcomposto, thanks for the update on your trip.

Personally I wouldn't live in the area around the zoo, as it's too close to the city. Though, I have to admit, that whole area around Westvale is confusing and I really don't know much about it. Maybe "cuse" can help with that area. That's funny, the Woodard Industrial Park is the same "Industrial park" that I just posted pictures for above. Too bad it's so far away from the smaller school districts in the western and eastern suburbs.

You could easily get a nice new large home with low taxes(compared to other towns) in a good safe neighborhood for about $200,000 in the Liverpool school district. Finding one in a nice safe neighborhood in the western suburbs might be a little harder. Camillus is a large town and has many safe older neighborhoods where you could probably find a home built in the 1970s or 1980s for under $200,000.

Yes, I would check out the Howlet Hill Road area next time you are in town. This year they are going to have the "Parade of Homes" out there. Usually, where ever the Parade goes, new home buyers "discover". This could raise prices a little. I'd still look into it though. It's in the West Genesee school district. As cuse and Glen NY stated, there isn't any shopping nearby.

Radisson would be much closer to the Woodard Industrial Park, but since you don't like it as much...go where you think you'll be happiest. There are places in Lysander with hills, like in the developments off Route 370 between Baldwinsville and Liverpool. (Thanks Glen NY for naming them for me!)....Abbotts Landing and Clinton Hights. Though not as hilly as the Onondaga Hill area, there are some scenic views nearby.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 AM

22 posts, read 79,407 times
Is anyone else thinking Wisteria Lane? Not my style, but it seems nice.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM

arudd427, I don't believe I understand what you mean by Wisteria Lane? Do you mean Wisteria CT in Radisson?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 AM

24 posts, read 145,723 times
I believe arudd427 is talking about the show Desperate Housewives. They live on a perfectly manicured street, but there definitly is a huge difference between that and Radisson.

I am still leaning away from Baldwinsville (thankfully, I have some time to figure this out!!!) I am still keeping Westhill area in the loop. I agree that Liverpool is much more affordable, but I need more convincing on sending my children to such a huge district. I feel the same for North Syracuse. I am also going to start looking into Jamesville-DeWitt area. I've heard some positive things about their schools.

Cuse, thanks for your imput on Westhill area. Any more info you have would be helpful. I plan to take another trip to Syracuse next weekend, so I may have more questions for you then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area