Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,765,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Maybe not gutted, but the kitchen alone needs over $5k worth of work and I would have to rip out all of the flooring.
I'm cheap - I'd rip out the kitchen too but, including appliances, it wouldn't cost more than $2000. The rest can be easily lipsticked. They, apparently, remodeled already but have no sense of how to make a home feel cozy and homey and look like something you can be proud of. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 AM

93,686 posts, read 124,432,072 times
See, more proof that I'm not a realtor. Here are some other potential places: Geddes Real Estate - 108 Pleasant Beach Rd, Geddes, NY, 13209

Salina Real Estate - 606 Boston Rd, Salina, NY, 13211

Syracuse Real Estate - 210 Lillian Ave, Syracuse, NY, 13206

Syracuse Real Estate - 147 Ashdale Ave, Syracuse, NY, 13206

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,277,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm cheap - I'd rip out the kitchen too but, including appliances, it wouldn't cost more than $2000. The rest can be easily lipsticked. They, apparently, remodeled already but have no sense of how to make a home feel cozy and homey and look like something you can be proud of. lol
I don't have anyway to what your planning for two grand but if its more then a chat of paint and an avocado stove off CL it begs the question have you prices building materials lately??

I'm at Lowes pretty much everyday everything is sky high right now.

But all them TV shows these days make halfassing things the new normal.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,664,790 times
We would be just fine to pick up something with a good foundation, good electrical, and good plumbing, and work on it as we live in it. As long as it's liveable.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM

93,686 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
We would be just fine to pick up something with a good foundation, good electrical, and good plumbing, and work on it as we live in it. As long as it's liveable.
Which you can find in that price range, as you will find that some of the homes have had just one owner and one that kept the home in a liveable condition.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:01 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,101,901 times
Life in Syracuse seems a heck of a lot more tolerable when Syracuse University's men's basketball team plays well.

While flyering Tipp Hill today, I walked past the Blarney Stone twice and I could have heard a mouse squeak.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I don't have anyway to what your planning for two grand but if its more then a chat of paint and an avocado stove off CL it begs the question have you prices building materials lately??

I'm at Lowes pretty much everyday everything is sky high right now.

But all them TV shows these days make halfassing things the new normal.
lol - fridge and stove would be about $800. Cabinets and counters can be made for very little (compared to buying them ready made) and sinks and faucets are plentiful on CL. We did the same in our current home... the counters are poly'd [food grade] and look like a ship deck but very, very shiny. lol. And I hate dishwashers.

The thing about old houses is that they're rarely straight/square. Everything has to be "custom" - cut to fit for every cut - because standard things don't fit or there's some weirdness about a certain area... like how we couldn't just cut out a cupboard and install a dishwasher. The gas line had been run across the floor, only halfway back. D'oh. So- it's raised and we got a cheap piece of remnant granite, polished the sides, and secured it to a ledge we had to build over the dishwasher, since it was way higher than flush. Voila- permanent food prep counter. :P

Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,277,184 times
Interesting.

Ill have to get your list of suppliers. I build cabinets and I can't even come close to the bug box stores on price. When somebody asks me how my prices compare to Lowes I tell them to just go to Lowes. I don't waste time competing against the mass market.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Interesting.

Ill have to get your list of suppliers. I build cabinets and I can't even come close to the bug box stores on price. When somebody asks me how my prices compare to Lowes I tell them to just go to Lowes. I don't waste time competing against the mass market.
Ah - but I make things to suit our needs that aren't embarrassing to look at... you're a carpenter. These aren't units to be installed; they're built to fit with as little material as possible and according to my ability at that time. Example from 2010: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=202f74c21d

My dad and great-grandfather were/are carpenters and the barn is full of their tools. Scary-looking units, they are. lol - I don't yet want to go anywhere near them.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,664,790 times
to get off the housing thing a little bit...
I miss good NJ/NYC pizza, diners, and cities that know how to handle precipitation. I haven't had a decent slice since we moved out of NJ, and I miss going out to breakfast at "the diner". They call off school here if it's even calling for "winter weather" in the morning. If it rains too hard, people seem to lose their ability to drive here. I don't miss the bitter cold of the more northern winters, but northern cities expect snow and seem to know better how to deal with it. I assume this applies to Syracuse? Good snow handling in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area