Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 AM

73 posts, read 154,941 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some opinions insofar as finding about some different areas in the Syracuse/CNY area. My husband and I have just moved back to the US from the UK and we're currently staying with family out near Saratoga. My husband and I had been looking at New Hampshire as well but when we compare the cost of living, price of properties and job options Central NY really wins out.
We're looking for a house and are pretty determined to find one that suits us and get settled in (we're driving out on Weds to check out some places and basically tool around the area for a few days--anything we should make sure we see/do??)

Anyway.....
We're ideally looking for a location that we can commute to Syracuse in about half an hour/35-40 minutes(each way) and.... that we can have some rural/space between us and the neighbors. Does anyone know if there are places I can/can't tke up beekeeping?

About the weather: I know that there are areas that get hit more harshly in the winter with snow (lake effect?) but for the life of me I can't remember where they are)...

Are there any rural/suburbs out there that we should avoid? Any places that are nicer?

And also as far as phone/internet providers what companies/plans do most people use out that way?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:20 AM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What is your budget? I can think of areas you may like near villages that you may find similar to places in the UK. Skaneateles, Marcellus, Cazenovia and the villages of Fayetteville and Manlius come to mind. There plenty of other rural areas near other villages or standard suburban areas for shopping and other services. Some might take longer to get to than others, but you should be able to find what you want.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
I live in Jamesville not far from City Lights and Manilus, we have a nice house with 3 1/2 acres and about 20 min. drive to syr. CityLights has many big homes but pretty expensive. I would take a look around. Its off Rt. 173 & Gates Rd.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Drive Seneca Turnpike or Route 20. They will have what you are looking for.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Bee-Keeping Rural Areas & Reasonable Cost Of Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some opinions insofar as finding about some different areas in the Syracuse/CNY area. My husband and I have just moved back to the US from the UK and we're currently staying with family out near Saratoga. My husband and I had been looking at New Hampshire as well but when we compare the cost of living, price of properties and job options Central NY really wins out.
We're looking for a house and are pretty determined to find one that suits us and get settled in (we're driving out on Weds to check out some places and basically tool around the area for a few days--anything we should make sure we see/do??)

Anyway.....
We're ideally looking for a location that we can commute to Syracuse in about half an hour/35-40 minutes(each way) and.... that we can have some rural/space between us and the neighbors. Does anyone know if there are places I can/can't take up beekeeping?

About the weather: I know that there are areas that get hit more harshly in the winter with snow (lake effect?) but for the life of me I can't remember where they are)...

Are there any rural/suburbs out there that we should avoid? Any places that are nicer?

And also as far as phone/internet providers what companies/plans do most people use out that way?

Thanks in advance!
Hello cheekyerica,

Best reasonable cost of living area? New Hampshire or Central New York? No contest!! Central New York hands-down! CNY has everything you want minus the higher costs of New Hampshire/New England and we have a good well-rounded city as well=Metro Syracuse.

The weather. The most snowfall can be anywhere across all of Oswego County-Hannibal-Fulton-Williamstown-Redfield-West Monroe-Constantia-Bernards Bay-Cleveland, western Oneida County from Camden toward Taberg-Osceola-Ava-West Leyden-Rome-Boonville. Also directly east of Lake Ontario in Oswego County-Southern Jefferson County-western Lewis County including all of Tug Hill Plateau, the villages of Parish-Mexico-Pulaski-Altmar-Richland-Sandy Creek-Mannsville-Ellisburg-Adams-Henderson-Sackets Harbor-Adams Center-Barnes Corners-Copenhagen-more. Also sometimes high hill locations southward of Syracuse & Canastota; snow because of high elevation.

I think that you can do bee-keeping especially if you are in a mostly rural area and don't have nearby neighbors and you are not IN the suburbs or IN the villages. There are apple orchards around the Lafayette-Navarino-Otisco area (south of Syracuse) and the orchard owners might be glad to have your bees pollenate the apple blossoms; that is a sort of hilly area so roads could be more ice slippery in winter. There are also Peach-Plum-Pear-Cherry-etc. orchards out near the Hannibal-Southwest Oswego area=can be a snow area.

If it wasn't for the sometimes heavy snowfall, I think there would be many great areas in Oswego County that would be fine for bee-keeping.

I guess the areas I might suggest you look for rural property would be: WESTWARD out of Baldwinsville along and on roads off Route 370 toward Plainville-Meridian-Cato & southward toward Weedsport & Jordon & Elbridge; just remember that the suburbs keep being built outwards from the suburban city area.

***>>>Also why don't you visit/look at Route 31 westward (& country/rural roads that run off this Rt. 31 area), SOUTH of Baldwinsville which leads you to Jordon. I'm thinking that rural roads in that area such as: Kingdom Road, Perry Road, Daboll Road, Conners Road, West Dead Creek Road=this area might be a pleasant and good area for you to enjoy plus have bee-keeping and have reasonable winter driving conditions.***<<<

You could look at rural areas on roads off Route 5 EASTWARD between Chittenango and Canastota=but don't go farther east than Canastota.

Maybe you would like the Apulia or Fabius area east of Tully; for bee-keeping=winter driving to Syracuse can often be more difficult.

That's about it for now. Feel free to contact me anytime if you have additional questions or want me to comment on any area or subject. Best of luck to you.

grdnrman

Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Pompey 13138, Tully 13159, Fabius 13063, Jamesville 13078 and LaFayette 13084.

Above all, you do not want to be within anyone's city or village limits. The restrictions on non-household pets are exceptionally prohibitive.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM

73 posts, read 154,941 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information! I've only got a sporadic internet access at the moment (hence the long silence from me) but I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Thank you for letting me know that we'd be better off looking in those areas and to avoid townships/villages for the beekeeping! (I'd never have even thought that!)

I'll let you all know how our search goes--we're supposed to be driving out tomorrow to look at a few places!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM

93,176 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here are some beekeeper groups that are throughout the state: master beekeeper

Chittenango has the only group in the area on that list.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM

357 posts, read 968,051 times
A little unknown fact that very few people know about is that Bee Keeping is permitted within metro NYC on high rise buildings and other places.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Rural Property For You - Syracuse NY

Hello cheekyerica,

Thanks for everything you said/gave me in your other message. I appreciate it.

Here's some rural countryside properties I found for you in the areas around Baldwinsville for you to possibly look at when you are here. Some of these properties may sell soon so hurry!

ONONDAGA COUNTY below>>

Baldwinsville area/TOWNSHIP of Van Buren. Here's perfection for you on one of the rural roads that I previously suggested to you! 5 acres!! Great location. Great price for this kind of newer home plus good acreage. SouthWESTward of Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...73438&AgentID=

Baldwinsville area/TOWNSHIP of Van Buren. Okay, I found another perfect place for you in the rural road countryside area I recommended to you. Two parcels of property together totaling 5 acres for you. Fantastic price for this home with large property. SouthWESTward of Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...69849&AgentID=

Memphis area/TOWNSHIP of Van Buren. Great price! Nice acreage. SouthWESTward of Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...55978&AgentID=

Phoenix area/TOWNSHIP of Lysander. Great acreage at a reasonable price. Sell 5 home/estate lots of six acres each (keep 7 - 10 acres for yourself) over time and get a lot of your investment money back! Good home and nice countryside area; NORTHward of Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...72690&AgentID=

Phoenix area/TOWNSHIP of Lysander near Radisson community & Baldwinsville. Located at forever wild Three Rivers Wildlife Area/park. Put "your touch" on this good property and make it "Perfect" for you. Attached garage and a second large detached garage to store your boat or rent to someone else at wintertime to store their vehicle or boat all winter. Good size acreage. NORTHward of Baldwinsville/Radisson.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...75171&AgentID=

Baldwinsville area/TOWNSHIP of Lysander, River Road=West side of Seneca River. Good acreage; you could sell part of it. Good home approaching great/perfect condition especially nice for home age; add your touch to make it perfect. EASTward from Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...72882&AgentID=

Baldwinsville area/TOWNSHIP of Lysander, near Beaver Lake County Park Natural Area. Nice custom built home on almost 2 acres of land in the countryside. This is another home that I would call "Perfect" for you if it has large enough property land. NorthWESTward of Baldwinsville.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...75432&AgentID=

Baldwinsville area/TOWNSHIP of Lydander. Countryside/rural now=possible to sell some of the acreage over time as new home developments approach this area=keep several acres for yoursef. In the meantime, rent much of this acreage to a farmer for him to plant/harvest hay/corn/vegetable crops or farmers markets. This property is near the little "hamlet" of Cold Springs; between Route 370 south of Baldwinsville (mostly farmlands now) and River Road on the west side of Seneca River.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...64804&AgentID=

OSWEGO COUNTY below>>

Phoenix area/TOWNSHIP of Schroeppel, post office address of Fulton NY. Log home on 2-1/2 acres of countryside land=I'm not sure how close neighbors live but this area is rural. You can use Expressway 481 to travel to Metro Syracuse/Suburbs. NorthEASTward of Phoenix.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...76487&AgentID=

Pennellville area/TOWNSHIP of Schroeppel. Nice home on 2 acres of land. Ask your realtor about the possibility of buying another 2-3 acres of land adjacent to this property. You can plant some tall evergreen trees to block wintertime cold winds and plant some fruit trees or maple trees for shade. NorthEASTward of Phoenix. I'm not sure how close neighbor live.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...72132&AgentID=

TOWNSHIP of Schroeppel, Fulton-Phoenix area, Fulton post office address. Home being sold to help settle divorce. Empty home. Great price for that size acreage plus a good basic house. You could spend some money to build a garage and make some reasonable redecorating and have a good home. Sell part of the land if you don't want all of it.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...57691&AgentID=

Those are the homes with property that I found for you to look at while you visit the Syracuse area. I hope you receive this information before you leave for your drive to Syr. ` Best of luck.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 07-24-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area