Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It wasn't supposed to be a mimarket mall with outlets. If you're going to call something DestinyUSA, it should have a wow factor. When this "project" was brought to Crossgates, it was supposed to be larger than the Mall of America and contain an amusement park, bowling alley, water slide park, hotels, and great restaurants.

And there were things Pyramid said that they would be doing with Destiny at Carousel that they simply have not done. Where exactly do you think artists renderings come from? They are given instructions on what the builder wants something to look like. Destiny was supposed to have different themes in it and different decor in different sections much like Simon does very well and is very noticeable in Concord Mills. Concord Mills has lots of outlet stores along side regular mall stores, but they never conned people into thinking it was going to be some magical place to rival MoA unlike Pyramid. And Concord Mills is the #1 attraction in all of North Carolina. I hate malls, in general, but I love Concord Mills. I was really hoping Carousel was going to be like Concord Mills, but it's not even close. Pyramid was the one who said it was going to be greater than MoA and so far it's just a generic mall....whoopie do!
I'm sorry, but they weren't telling the truth.

There's no "supposed to" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I'm sorry, but they weren't telling the truth.

There's no "supposed to" about it.
Clearly, Congel does nothing but lie. I've thought he was a $chmuck and scammer since he tried getting his way at Crossgates and wasn't very mature about being told no. Now, he has several abandoned, rotting properties surrounding Crossgates. He evicted the tenants awhile ago and just left the buildings. He won't tell Guilderland or any what his intentions are. He bought the houses and land back he was attempting to get Destiny passed in Guilderland. The locals are not happy with him at all. Can't say I blame them!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Clearly, Congel does nothing but lie. I've thought he was a $chmuck and scammer since he tried getting his way at Crossgates and wasn't very mature about being told no. Now, he has several abandoned, rotting properties surrounding Crossgates. He evicted the tenants awhile ago and just left the buildings. He won't tell Guilderland or any what his intentions are. He bought the houses and land back he was attempting to get Destiny passed in Guilderland. The locals are not happy with him at all. Can't say I blame them!
He's not accustomed to being told "no." When he is, pursues every legal avenue to make sure that "no" doesn't stick.

The guy has a long track record of doing clever - if not community-minded - things to make a quick buck. One of them (Franklin Square) is a real asset. He, however, is not.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Sorry, but many people disagree with you.

Let's be real....Burlington Coat Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc, etc, etc, etc were ALL already in the area! It's not like Dick's was never in the Syracuse area until this project. So what's there to get excited over? If you've ever seen the drawings and proposals for Destiny, then you would be VERY underwhelmed. This was supposed to be a grand destination......not Dick's Sporting Goods!
  • Thats ok, its just my opinion. Not trying to be confrontational, just a different perspective on Destiny. I just think it is better than a scrap yard, brownfield, or oil tanks.
  • Many focus on discount stores, outlets and restaurants, Burlington Coat, Dick's Sporting (not a bad store, just opened down here), Popeyes, etc. to make their point, and that is ok. There are other great stores and entertainment venues that have never come to upstate New York, but chose Destiny.
  • As far as the parking lots are concerned, those people are employed, who would not be if CC/DUSA did not exist and more jobs to come. My view, if the mall was not bringing in shoppers, those people would not be employed. Retail employs a broad spectrum of positions, from entry level to management, etc. Those people do pay taxes, some are entry level, but it helps them build employment skills that otherwise would not exist.
  • With all that said, I for one am glad that Destiny is not going to expand beyond Hiawatha Blvd. It provides an opportunity to build off of COR's (almost flawless) proposed inner-harbor development and the historic integrity of Franklin Square (Congel development) to Hiawatha Blvd, the key is to make the two function together. I am also looking forward to more retail options downtown to compliment the rapid pace of residential development, which did not exist 12 years ago when the expansion of Carousel Center was first announced.
  • Destiny is NOT the silver bullet and should never have been considered as such, but it is a component of economic development (not as originallly intended however). Congel is at fault for repeatedly morphing his expansion to the point where the public grew cynical at best and I recognize that the 30 year PILOT is unacceptable now that the full vision is not going to be built, but demeaning Destiny is not the answer!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 07-24-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 PM

288 posts, read 510,566 times
Great argument urbanplanner. Seems like whoever is opposed to destiny lacks a legitimate argument and simply can't answer the most important question; if destiny was not built then what would be there? The answer is nothing, absolutely nothing. Therefore, the city wouldnt bring any revenue anyways. At least now they can collect more taxes other than property.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Destiny pays Syracuse $1.1 million, but doesn't believe it should have to pay | syracuse.com

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Never heard of this place before

Cantina Laredo opens at Destiny - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
This will be the only location in NY State too. Here are the places the restaurant is located in: Cantina Laredo Gourmet Mexican Food Restaurant | Local Mexican Food Restaurant

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times
Very pleased with the latest addition of Texas de Brazil. Finally a Paleo option in Syracuse. There is a similar place at Turning Stone, but I tend to spend too much money when I go over there for after dinner entertainment.

http://www.texasdebrazil.com/

Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Very pleased with the latest addition of Texas de Brazil. Finally a Paleo option in Syracuse. There is a similar place at Turning Stone, but I tend to spend too much money when I go over there for after dinner entertainment.

Texas De Brazil | CHURRASCARIA
Not familiar with this chain. Is it any good? Comparable to Fogo de Chao?

Could be a nice addition - the first dining option that I'd be legitimately interested in trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area