Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,008 times

Advertisements

We just found out my husbands work would like to transfer him to the Syracuse area for work!! We are currently from the suburbs of Philly, PA. Can someone PLEASE give me some ideas of great little towns to look in. We're coming up in a few weeks to look around....we know nothing about the area. We're looking for a good school district...safe neighborhoods....things to do....and somewhere that DOESN'T get nailed with bad winters, if that's possible! We are super excited to move...just need to get a clue about the area!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM

3,518 posts, read 9,433,966 times
You might want to look into Camillus.

Camillus is a western suburb of Syracuse and receives less snow than the northern suburbs and a little less snow than the eastern suburbs.

If you lived in Camillus, the school district is West Genesee. It is a good district; I believe one of the 5 best school districts in the region.

You said "great little town". Camillus is a suburb of about 23,000. Not really a little town. Do you want to live in the suburbs or a small village in a rural area? Also, it would help if I knew where in the Syracuse area your husband's work is located....

Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 AM

142 posts, read 811,586 times
I live in Skaneateles and love it here. I am originally from outside NYC. I have four kids and the school system, along with the great sense of community, are the reason we chose this town. But on to the issue of snow... We gots tons. Anyone who tells you otherwise is in denial. We didn't get much until Feb, in fact the early part of last year was freakishly warm (my kids wore Bermuda shorts one day near xmas). But March made up for it. We even got snow in late April when your area was flooding. But you manage to live with it. We're active with hockey and skiing, and the towns are great at snow removal. Most people just make the best of it. A good antidote to the snow is an evening in front of the fire at the Sherwood Inn in the village. You'll find many locals there.
Fire away with any questions, I'd be happy to help you.
Jo

Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,723 times
We are very happy with our town of choice, Pompey. Close to Syacuse but very rural in feel. Be advised that anywhere close to commuting distance to Syracuse will get huge amounts of snow. As S-Mom mentioned, the towns take great pride in keeping the roads clear, and for the most part folks know how to drive in it. It helps to develop a positive winter mindset, otherwise you will be miserable. We moved here from Long Island last December and thought the winter weather was just fine. As far as great towns, there are quite a few around here, most with fine schools. I suggest Greatschools.com for further research.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,741 times
We just recently moved from PA also for my husbands work. We choose Manlius because the school district is said to be one of the best. Its a very nice neighborhood, everyone is very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel very welcome. It is also easy to get on to 81 for our many trips back to PA. I have no idea how much snow they get here but my son is hoping for tons. I hope your move goes well.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonL2 View Post
We just found out my husbands work would like to transfer him to the Syracuse area for work!! We are currently from the suburbs of Philly, PA. Can someone PLEASE give me some ideas of great little towns to look in. We're coming up in a few weeks to look around....we know nothing about the area. We're looking for a good school district...safe neighborhoods....things to do....and somewhere that DOESN'T get nailed with bad winters, if that's possible! We are super excited to move...just need to get a clue about the area!! Thanks!
I have not spent a ton of time there but........a few areas I have been are wonderful. You will love, love the Mall which is huge and inviting.
You will love that the Amtrack train runs through there, and the bus station is part of the same depot. Quite wonderful, and convinent.
Syracuse also has a nice small zoo to visit.
I havn't met anyone who speaks unkindly of that area.
I think you will love it........just be sure to have a shovel and boots!!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 AM

10 posts, read 76,114 times
I also live in Skaneateles and have 2 daughters. My first daughter graduated in 2006 and went on to SUNY Geneseo. My 2nd is in 10th grade this year. We started out in Camillus. Although Camillus is closer the the metropolis of Syracuse it is more urban (we lived there for 4 years when we originally relocated from Binghamton). Skaneateles is a nice closely knit community on a beautiful lake. Their are many things to do especially having kids in the school system. It seems almost every week their is something going on. Plus Syracuse is only 20 - 30 minutes from here and if you get bored Onondaga County has much to offer.
Fayetteville and Manlius are on the East side of Syracuse and also very nice suburb areas with alot to offer.
Good Luck and if you want an insider's take on Skaneateles check out Skaneateles Talk

Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM

919 posts, read 3,186,151 times
Can anyone help guide me to the area of Radison, my husband may have a job transfer up in Baldwinsville, any other nice areas other than Radison? I would prefer to live nearby his work, and I also would like to know what the schools are like? THANKS@

Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,770 times
Radisson is a beautiful area located in Baldwinsville. Quiet community with walking trails, community center and great amenities. Baldwinsville schools are highly rated. There has been a lot of new construction in that area as well.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM

919 posts, read 3,186,151 times
Thanks for the info Chiando!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area