Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times

Advertisements

Considering a move back to Upstate NY? It seems there are more and more upstate ny expats deciding to head back home. We're moving back to Rochester from NC after this schoolyear is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 04:46 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
It seems there are more and more upstate ny expats deciding to head back home.
There is a lot more to life than "good" weather. As for this thread, Skaneateles is my favorite places in the U.S. The minute I have all of my ducks in a row, I'll be making trails back to W/CNY. I don't even think the taxes are all that bad because you get what you pay for. Trust me.

I used to call my parents last year in January and brag how we were boating and kayaking, and all of that stuff. Well, my parents just called and said they'd spent the day on the Keuka wine trail and met friends for lunch at Esperanza. Score one for my old folks.

I know I sound like a broken record, but not being able to get back to the Finger Lakes for the fall foliage is bringing me down.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
It just seems so tenuous - and yes, flaky. People seem so rootless. Is it really that easy for people to decide to pull up stakes, and leave their family behind and to live someplace very different thousands of miles, only to discover a few years later they may have made a mistake and want to return? Are people looking for places to satisfy a longing in their hearts, and maybe not looking within themselves? Sorry if I sound too philosophical, but I genuinely believe it is a emotional/psychological condition that needs to be addressed, and there is actually nothing wrong with all of these cities people are fleeing from. Read the other state's message boards and you will see what I mean.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
People seem so rootless.
I agree with your observation to a certain degree. Nobody forced me to move to Florida. But, I would have stayed in NY if there were jobs in my hometown. Exactly ZERO of my friends still live in the town where I grew up.

So the problem starts with the "irrootability" of certain areas. In other words, I didn't move to Florida looking for my little "piece of paradise." I'm not riding up and down the Gulf Beaches on my Harley looking for the next "local cool bar" to have my umbrella drinks while listening to Jimmy Buffett.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
There is a lot more to life than "good" weather. As for this thread, Skaneateles is my favorite places in the U.S. The minute I have all of my ducks in a row, I'll be making trails back to W/CNY. I don't even think the taxes are all that bad because you get what you pay for. Trust me.

I used to call my parents last year in January and brag how we were boating and kayaking, and all of that stuff. Well, my parents just called and said they'd spent the day on the Keuka wine trail and met friends for lunch at Esperanza. Score one for my old folks.

I know I sound like a broken record, but not being able to get back to the Finger Lakes for the fall foliage is bringing me down.
I love how you put good in quotes. My sentiments EXACTLY! I'll take 4 seasons which incluse NOT only a snowy winter but beautiful fall and as close to perfect summer you can get..............over hurricanes, thunderstorms EVERY day durring spring and summer, unbelievable pollen in spring, and yes still cold durring winter when you get more ice than snow and everything else that you get in the "sun belt"..... ANY DAY. Warmer most definitely does NOT automaticaly mean "better".

Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
People leave NY because of the weather - my parents did. I guess I'm just envious because I'd love to move back to my old hometown upstate, but I'd be going alone because my husband and kids wouldn't go! Plus, my extended family is here (California) and I don't know anyone in my hometown anymore. I suppose a good compromise would be to buy a nice vacation home and visit there during the summer and maybe even at Christmas, if the family is up to it.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:39 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I love how you put good in quotes. My sentiments EXACTLY! I'll take 4 seasons which incluse NOT only a snowy winter but beautiful fall and as close to perfect summer you can get..............over hurricanes, thunderstorms EVERY day durring spring and summer, unbelievable pollen in spring, and yes still cold durring winter when you get more ice than snow and everything else that you get in the "sun belt"..... ANY DAY. Warmer most definitely does NOT automaticaly mean "better".

No Doubt!! I would rather put a piece of Firewood in the fireplace than hang a piece of Wood on my windows anyday!! This sunshine state Sucks!! I'm heading back to CNY!

Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 33,314 times
Question skaneateles or marcellus - any recommendations?

MY family and I will be moving back to NY (currently in SC -don't recommend)
and we were from Victor (near Rochester). Hoping to move to either Skaneateles or Marcellus since both seem to have small school districts. I don't want my kids to be one of a zillion. Also it looks really pretty there. But my question is - since we are not in the wealthy class of society is Skaneateles going to make my kids feel inferior - I don't want them just around "the rich kids" and I don't want them to feel they have to have and do everything the rich kids do. Is there a good mix there or am I better off going to nearby Marcellus? Also it seems that there are no moderately priced homes in skaneateles. Maybe it's the time of yr??? any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Default interesting thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I agree with your observation to a certain degree. Nobody forced me to move to Florida. But, I would have stayed in NY if there were jobs in my hometown. Exactly ZERO of my friends still live in the town where I grew up.

So the problem starts with the "irrootability" of certain areas. In other words, I didn't move to Florida looking for my little "piece of paradise." I'm not riding up and down the Gulf Beaches on my Harley looking for the next "local cool bar" to have my umbrella drinks while listening to Jimmy Buffett.
lol- so true- 365 days of sun is overrated. I like a little rain!. And yes-everyone from my suburb in NY is long gone- so we moved elsewhere. The combination of rootlessness, unstable job markets, and boomers looking to make the best of what time remains.

I never had rose-colored glasses about florida, but it seems alot of people do- they visit for a week and think wow- this is perfect. If it sounds too good to be true-it probably is!.

sunny.

-

Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 PM

306 posts, read 1,620,526 times
autumngirl:

Yes, Skaneateles is pretty pricey. I've been tracking its housing market for two years now, and prices are still climbing there. But bargains do come up. They usually require some fixing up or are on the edge of town. Most of what's on the market now does seem to be the high-end stuff, but we saw a number of excellent homes in $175,000-250,000 range just last summer there.

In terms of snooty, I can only give my impression since I've only visited there. But while it was snootier than most other towns in the region, it also had a summer-stroll quality to it. In other words, its snootiness is a bit mitigated by the fact that living there is so gracious, so comfortable, so much a very old-fashioned, slower pace of life. It's not the shop & shop and sneer & sneer attitude you see in a lot of other relatively wealthy towns/suburbs.

Also, there are plenty of people with the more typical upstate NY attitude and value systems there--which, if you'll allow the overgeneralization, I'd say is proudly unpretentious, down-to-earth, genuine. For example, in two of the four homes we visited while the family was home, the homeowners enjoyed playing with our young son so much they forgot to join in the sales-pitch--you could tell they were just genuinely delighted to play ball with our (of course adorable!) son. As we were leaving, they were drawing us a little map about how to get to the best beaches on the lake, where an ice cream shop was that the kids would like, etc. (And of course, everywhere we went, people were very proud of how good the schools are.) I think the old upstate ethic of "Help out others 'cause you may need others to come shovel you out in winter" ethic generally still prevails in Skaneateles, despite its wealthiness. It can get a little too proud of its beauty for its own good, but I don't think it's too money- and/or status-obsessed.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area