Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

Hi all. A little about me: Im 33 with three children and another on the way. My fiance has been working in Syracuse for a couple months and since it seems to be working out well I am looking to move up there from the Binghamton area sometime after school lets out.

I think I have some areas to target based on some very informative threads here, but I am having trouble finding decent rental listings. I have been looking on craigslist for these two months and get very turned off by the attitudes of the landlords posting. I never thought I would consider an apartment/townhouse complex but I see very little single family homes listed for rent. I am looking at price ranging from $900-1400/month. We have one cat.

I have Manlius, Camillus, and Liverpool (does Liverpool really get more snow than surrounding areas?) specifically in mind. I wouldnt necessarily object to somewhat more rural areas but as I will be driving my boys to Binghamton every weekend to see their father I dont want to be too far off the highways. Of additional concern is that my oldest is special needs and I need a district who has a good CSE that will listen to me and do their very best for him to succeed. I am moving away from an AMAZING school district in all regards so I am very nervous about that.

So any input suggestions would be very much welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:26 PM

93,455 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiandream78 View Post
Hi all. A little about me: Im 33 with three children and another on the way. My fiance has been working in Syracuse for a couple months and since it seems to be working out well I am looking to move up there from the Binghamton area sometime after school lets out.

I think I have some areas to target based on some very informative threads here, but I am having trouble finding decent rental listings. I have been looking on craigslist for these two months and get very turned off by the attitudes of the landlords posting. I never thought I would consider an apartment/townhouse complex but I see very little single family homes listed for rent. I am looking at price ranging from $900-1400/month. We have one cat.

I have Manlius, Camillus, and Liverpool (does Liverpool really get more snow than surrounding areas?) specifically in mind. I wouldnt necessarily object to somewhat more rural areas but as I will be driving my boys to Binghamton every weekend to see their father I dont want to be too far off the highways. Of additional concern is that my oldest is special needs and I need a district who has a good CSE that will listen to me and do their very best for him to succeed. I am moving away from an AMAZING school district in all regards so I am very nervous about that.
So any input suggestions would be very much welcomed
What school district are you coming from? Vestal? Fayetteville-Manlius is on that level, if not better. Jamesville-DeWitt would be another to look at. East Syracuse-Minoa, Onondaga Central and Liverpool have some pretty good programs for special needs
students from what I hear. North Syracuse has been good about accomodating my
daughter who has autism.

Look at this website for rental homes: cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
You will do well in are of the areas which you mentioned. Liverpool, and Clay...it sort of blends together in the northern/western parts is close to either Route 81, or 481, which puts you easily on 81.

Northern Liverpool/Clay probably gets a little more snow as it is closer, slightly, to the tug hill area and the bands sometimes drift down. After the first few feet, it doesn't really matter. The roads are kept in good shape--enough so the schools rarely close except for the extremely cold days, or when we get a couple of feet early in the morning.

There are Townhouses in the area. For what you expect to pay in rent, it might be worth looking at a buy. Few have been built recently, so the pickings are slim(er) but there are a few decent ones out there.

None of my business, except i come from a divorce situation and have experience with the 'other' not being particularly cooperative, but maybe he could drive every other weekend, or meet you in the middle.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 28,488 times
Hi, utopiandream78: You might consider looking into the city of Syracuse, itself. The school system is very good with working with special needs children. We also have Say Yes To Education which can provide a college education free of charge. You can check it out on the Syracuse, NY website. Check out Court-Woodlawn, Eastwood, Tipp Hill areas for rentals. All are very family friendly. And for your price point you should find a house for lease. Try syracuse.com (online newspaper) for rental listings. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM

This can help too: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 17,148 times
The Syracuse school district is a big NO, NO! Jamesville-Dewitt, and Camillus are A+ school districts; Liverpool is more culturally diverse. One thing about Syracuse though is that there is a lot of racism, and prejudice; it is pretty bold!! As far as rentals they average by area.....Jamesville-Dewitt $1000 to $1500; Camillus $ 900 to $ 1200; Liverpool $ 850 to $ 1150. As far as being turned off by attitudes, get ready to deal with much more of that! I have traveled quite a bit, and been exposed to many different cultures, and Syracuse has been one of the worst places I have ever been to. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevitamia View Post
The Syracuse school district is a big NO, NO! Jamesville-Dewitt, and Camillus are A+ school districts; Liverpool is more culturally diverse. One thing about Syracuse though is that there is a lot of racism, and prejudice; it is pretty bold!! As far as rentals they average by area.....Jamesville-Dewitt $1000 to $1500; Camillus $ 900 to $ 1200; Liverpool $ 850 to $ 1150. As far as being turned off by attitudes, get ready to deal with much more of that! I have traveled quite a bit, and been exposed to many different cultures, and Syracuse has been one of the worst places I have ever been to. GOOD LUCK!!
A lot of prejudice and racism in Syracuse? Don't get me wrong, it's there, but I wouldn't make it seem like it is endemic to the whole city or area.

Also, your apartment averages are pretty high for the communities you mentioned. You can get apartments for much lower in those areas. I don't know who told you that about rental averages.

There are other SD's that are very good like F-M, Westhill, Skaneateles, Baldwinsville, Marcellus, Tully and most of the others in the county are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area