Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

Video - Central New York news, Syracuse sports, Storm Team weather forecast - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Eastwood location's hopelessly crowded when they're busy (aka >5 people waiting to get their fix) but the coffee's pretty tasty. Haven't made it to either of the others yet to see what they've done with those spaces.
Thanks, I would like to try their "pourover" (per web-site) coffee. I did not know of the Eastwood or Tully Street locations when I was up over Thanksgiving. Looking forward to next visit.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Parents angered by music at First Night celebration - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

What a shame that this seemingly backfired in only it's second year!
Too bad, it sounds like a publicity stunt by the group. I would like to see a ball drop somewhere downtown. I have always thought that the Chimes Building (500 S. Salina Street) would make a great location for a ball drop. The narrow part of the building facing S. Salina Street. Since S. Salina Street is revitalizing, it would give it a Times Square feel.

I think it is one of the most beautiful buildings in Syracuse. I wish they would use the chime that used to ring every hour on the hour.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM

107 posts, read 219,394 times
fun fact: the chimes haven't functioned since world war 2!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
So is this the mildest Winter ever or what?? Last Tuesday I had to get gas for the snowblower as I ran it dry last Spring. Crikey!! And at that an hour and I was done.

Couple weeks I will be in Florida then its just March with its winds and its Spring baby!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Oh and good job on the pic Becca

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Too bad, it sounds like a publicity stunt by the group. I would like to see a ball drop somewhere downtown. I have always thought that the Chimes Building (500 S. Salina Street) would make a great location for a ball drop. The narrow part of the building facing S. Salina Street. Since S. Salina Street is revitalizing, it would give it a Times Square feel.

I think it is one of the most beautiful buildings in Syracuse. I wish they would use the chime that used to ring every hour on the hour.
I agree, it would be nice to have a ball drop somewhere downtown. I was originally thinking of going to First Night since it's down the street from me, but it is really supposed to be more "kid oriented" than for adults that want to have some drinks (there's no alcohol served there at all). My friends and I celebrated on Tipp Hill - started with a cocktail party at my friend's place and then walked to Coleman's to see the ball drop, etc. We ended up only staying at the bar for an hour-ish because it was so packed and we had more fun at my friend's apt anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
So is this the mildest Winter ever or what?? Last Tuesday I had to get gas for the snowblower as I ran it dry last Spring. Crikey!! And at that an hour and I was done.
Yep, I'm definitely not complaining! I saw on the news this morning that we've only got a little over a foot thus far! Hoping it continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Oh and good job on the pic Becca
Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Yes - nice pic Becca. :-) I haven't even run any of the snowblowers this winter. I started all of them and gassed them up but with the couple of 2" to 3" light 'n fluffy snowfalls we've had it's faster to just push a wide shovel for ten minutes.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 AM

The other day when they were calling for the snowpocalypse I was filled with a sense of dread and frankly some excitement. What we ended up with was kinda a disappointment. To much to just leave but not enough to make my blower work. I have a large blower and I allow about 4 hours per storm, only an hour this time. Very cold though, even with heated hand grips it was a cold one. Oneida generally gets a good bit more snow the Syracuse. I heard at work Syracuse got very little and Rome none at all.

I'd rather live were I didn't need a snowblower but since I do its my baby. After my house the snowblower is the most expensive thing I own. Cost far more then my car.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
The plow guys with a contract are making a killing this year, especially the commercial guys. They don't have to do a thing but collect a pay check. They have years where they lose money, but not this year. My commercial plow guy has been paid a large sum for December and January just to put up his stakes.

My personal plow guy came the other day when we got snow. He must have been itching to get out there because there was no reason for him to plow that morning. The guys who get paid by the trip are hurting, so they will come sweep up a few flakes just to be able to bill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area