Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM

93,679 posts, read 124,403,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I think you get more bang for your buck down in FL compared to NY. Sorry, but NY schools don't really prove anything to me, despite what people say. If you go do AP or IB down in FL, you can still leave high school ready for college. Heck, everyone I talk to in syracuse says the city schools suck. They either go private or send them to F-M or J-D.

I never said the services were better, if you read my original post. I just said they weren't "lacking". In FL, there are plenty of parks, and actually the greatest number of natural springs in the country. NY is so dysfunctional now, they were literally on the verge of closing half the parks in upstate NY.
You are kidding about those schools being the only options, right? Schools like Westhill, West Genesee, Skaneateles, Marcellus, Baldwinsville and several others are just fine in terms of education. Even in the city schools in Syracuse, you still have kids going to Ivy League and high levels colleges. Corcoran has a great IB program too. While the overall stats aren't that good, you still get great students coming out of those schools and you can get a good education, if one desires. Keep in mind that sCSD has to deal with a much higher rate of students that are recent immigrants and that have special needs. Syracuse Academy of Science is a good charter school in the city as well.

I'm sure the urban schools in Florida have their share of issues too.

As for the parks, even if they closed half of the state parks, which might not even be true, but let's go with that, you still have plenty of county parks to enjoy, along with many town parks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM

357 posts, read 969,264 times
Quote:
I think you get more bang for your buck down in FL compared to NY. Sorry, but NY schools don't really prove anything to me, despite what people say. If you go do AP or IB down in FL, you can still leave high school ready for college. Heck, everyone I talk to in syracuse says the city schools suck. They either go private or send them to F-M or J-D.

I never said the services were better, if you read my original post. I just said they weren't "lacking". In FL, there are plenty of parks, and actually the greatest number of natural springs in the country. NY is so dysfunctional now, they were literally on the verge of closing half the parks in upstate NY.

NY does have a lot of problems in Albany, their relationship with unions being one of the most corrupt issues I've ever seen. However, no matter which way you spin it, Florida's current economy is worse than NY's.

Unemployment and Forclosures -
Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

Bank Failures -
Who is getting pinched the most?- CNNMoney.com

Florida's rank is 2nd most distressed state. NY is 44th most distressed
Foreclosures/Unemployment/Food Stamps - Kaiser State Health Facts
Average Rank: Represents the rank of the average rank for each state across all three measures. 1=most distress across measures

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,353,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
NY does have a lot of problems in Albany, their relationship with unions being one of the most corrupt issues I've ever seen. However, no matter which way you spin it, Florida's current economy is worse than NY's.

Unemployment and Forclosures -
Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

Bank Failures -
Who is getting pinched the most?- CNNMoney.com

Florida's rank is 2nd most distressed state. NY is 44th most distressed
Foreclosures/Unemployment/Food Stamps - Kaiser State Health Facts
Average Rank: Represents the rank of the average rank for each state across all three measures. 1=most distress across measures
Other than the foreclosure issue, not really. From a long-term perspective, NYS (outside of NYC) is in much worse shape than FL, and I'll tell you why. Until NYS stops putting the interests and goals of NYC first, that will never change.

NY has a lower credit rating in the bond market than FL because of it's severe budget problems. NY had to delay funding to schools in June because it didn't have enough cash to cover its bills.

Even now, after 6000+ vetoes from Governor Patterson, NY still can't close its $9.2 billion deficit and the NY budget is now 100 days late. FL doesn't have that kind of dysfunctional government.

FL may be hurting now more because of the housing crisis, but from a long-term perspective NY (particularly upstate) has much bigger issues with population loss, bloated public-setor union & pension liabilities, and a very anti-business corporate environment. Just ask Tom Golisano, the guy who helped fund the children's hospitals in syracuse and rochester. Thanks to NY's largesse in taxing and spending, they no longer have $5 million a day in revenue since he left.

CEOs Select Best, Worst States for Job Growth and Business | Articles | Homepage - New York is #50

The private sector is key to any economic growth, and when you have organizations like NYSUT, CSEA etc. as the biggest powers in Albany, you're not doing the private sector any favors when it comes time for them to look for new places to expand.

Last edited by chopchop0; 07-09-2010 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Other than the foreclosure issue, not really. From a long-term perspective, NYS (outside of NYC) is in much worse shape than FL, and I'll tell you why. Until NYS stops putting the interests and goals of NYC first, that will never change.

NY has a lower credit rating in the bond market than FL because of it's severe budget problems. NY had to delay funding to schools in June because it didn't have enough cash to cover its bills.

Even now, after 6000+ vetoes from Governor Patterson, NY still can't close its $9.2 billion deficit and the NY budget is now 100 days late. FL doesn't have that kind of dysfunctional government.

FL may be hurting now more because of the housing crisis, but from a long-term perspective NY (particularly upstate) has much bigger issues with population loss, bloated public-setor union & pension liabilities, and a very anti-business corporate environment. Just ask Tom Golisano, the guy who helped fund the children's hospitals in syracuse and rochester. Thanks to NY's largesse in taxing and spending, they no longer have $5 million a day in revenue since he left.

CEOs Select Best, Worst States for Job Growth and Business | Articles | Homepage - New York is #50

The private sector is key to any economic growth, and when you have organizations like NYSUT, CSEA etc. as the biggest powers in Albany, you're not doing the private sector any favors when it comes time for them to look for new places to expand.

Look, I'm not saying NYS is perfect or anything and I know it still has a lot of problems just like all the states do right now Inside the Dire Financial State of the States - TIME
Recession Continues to Batter State Budgets; State Responses Could Slow Recovery — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

But facts are facts, Florida is in a worse financial state than NYS right now. I agree with you that in the past NYS was worse off but that's not true in the current economic climate.
You had a bunch of links showing what you felt was the problem with NYS while here's more links showing the problems with Florida
Florida's Property Taxes Go Wacky in Housing Slump - TIME

Florida's expected budget shortfall grows to $3 billion in 2010-2011

Florida Budget Deficit: $2B this year, $5B next year | Red County (http://www.redcounty.com/florida-budget-deficit-2b-year-5b-next-year - broken link)

We could keep going back and forth with this and showing links but I simply don't agree with you and I'm not going to agree with you that Florida is doing better economically than NYS. Is NYS economy doing wonderful things right now, no, but neither is Florida's.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Florida's expected budget shortfall grows to $3 billion in 2010-2011

Florida Budget Deficit: $2B this year, $5B next year | Red County (http://www.redcounty.com/florida-budget-deficit-2b-year-5b-next-year - broken link)
looks like a smaller deficit to me.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
looks like a smaller deficit to me.

It's not just about the deficit! I am not going to repost the links because they are already posted. It's not only about deficit's. Sure NYS's deficit may be higher but Florida has a much higher unemployment rate and forecloser rate. All of that add's into how a state's current economic climate is.

Why I started posting the truth about Florida's economic climate was because in your previous posts you would frequently mention what you thought were all the bad things about NYS's finances and then compare it to Florida as if Florida was some economic dream come true. I know that you are going to continue to believe that Florida is better than NYS and nothing is going to change your mind on that but I for one don't agree with you and feel that I have posted enough links to prove that Florida's current economy is no better than NYS's. I for one, am done with this conversation.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I know that you are going to continue to believe that Florida is better than NYS and nothing is going to change your mind on that but I for one don't agree with you and feel that I have posted enough links to prove that Florida's current economy is no better than NYS's. I for one, am done with this conversation.
Short-term, it's a draw. Long-term, absolutely

Until serious change comes to Albany, NYS outside of NYC is going to continue to circle drain when it comes to economic development, whether it's during a recession or a boom. It's a real shame because upstate NY is probably one of the most beautiful places in the country, with strong enough academic institutions.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Short-term, it's a draw. Long-term, absolutely

Until serious change comes to Albany, NYS outside of NYC is going to continue to circle drain when it comes to economic development, whether it's during a recession or a boom. It's a real shame because upstate NY is probably one of the most beautiful places in the country, with strong enough academic institutions.
I'm not sure if that is true considering that much of Florida's boom was similar to what occurred in Vegas and parts of Arizona. It boomed because of housing.

Also, Florida has just recorded a net loss recently for the first time in a while. So, it might take Florida a while to get back where it once was.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, it might take Florida a while to get back where it once was.
In the meanwhile, Upstate NY has been losing population and economic prominence for 20+ years. I suspect FL will be back quicker on its feet as this was really a short-term glitch (as opposed to a structural/long-term problem)

Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
In the meanwhile, Upstate NY has been losing population and economic prominence for 20+ years. I suspect FL will be back quicker on its feet as this was really a short-term glitch (as opposed to a structural/long-term problem)
While some of what you say is true, Florida also has some structural issues to deal with(i.e.-housing market), as well as some quality of life issues to deal with as well(i.e.-crime). So, it will be interesting to see how Florida does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area