Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsjwu View Post
Thank you so much for sharing! How much Vitex did you use? I’m on a ridiculously high amount and it’s only making a difference now. Do you feel it balances hormones permanently or only while taking it?
When I first started I was taking 400 mg Vitex in the morning. I felt very good on that.
I stopped for a while, and when I started again 400 mg was too much. I think I did 80 mg.
Then stopped for a while, then did 40 mg for a couple years right up and into menopause. After that it became too stimulatory.

Vitex works by stimulating the pituitary gland in the brain, which then send out the endocrine signals for the adrenals to produce more progesterone. The other hormones (estrogen, testosterone, cortisol) are made from the progesterone. I found that it worked only while taking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
When I first started I was taking 400 mg Vitex in the morning. I felt very good on that.
I stopped for a while, and when I started again 400 mg was too much. I think I did 80 mg.
Then stopped for a while, then did 40 mg for a couple years right up and into menopause. After that it became too stimulatory.

Vitex works by stimulating the pituitary gland in the brain, which then send out the endocrine signals for the adrenals to produce more progesterone. The other hormones (estrogen, testosterone, cortisol) are made from the progesterone. I found that it worked only while taking it.
I appreciate you clarifying. For those couple of years, you took it continuously with no breaks? My progesterone must have tanked cause I’m taking 4000mg of Vitex to get any relief. I’m going to keep it at this dose and continue for 6 months, in hopes it will correct the imbalance somewhat. Maybe a hormonal blood test in 3 months. Vitex was my first choice cause a gynecologist gave me birth control pills at such a high dose to stop bleeding (didnt even work and made me worse) and it must have shut off my ovulation. Hope vitex will bring ovulation back and raise my progesterone.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsjwu View Post
I appreciate you clarifying. For those couple of years, you took it continuously with no breaks? My progesterone must have tanked cause I’m taking 4000mg of Vitex to get any relief. I’m going to keep it at this dose and continue for 6 months, in hopes it will correct the imbalance somewhat. Maybe a hormonal blood test in 3 months. Vitex was my first choice cause a gynecologist gave me birth control pills at such a high dose to stop bleeding (didnt even work and made me worse) and it must have shut off my ovulation. Hope vitex will bring ovulation back and raise my progesterone.
I can't say definitively how long I took it continuously — maybe a year or two at a time. I dose by how I feel and my symptoms, and I use my inner senses and intuition.

I would suggest you take it for a while and then stop and re-evaluate. As I recall, after being on Vitex for a while it would take up to a week or so for my body to revert back to baseline. See if you feel better on it or off it. Play with the dosage. I imagine you already have as you arrived at 4000 mg as one that gives you relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements