Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,484 times

Advertisements

Peri passed away sometime in the night this past April 23rd after a great 12 years together. An evening at the park and a neighborhood walk before turning in gave no hint it was our last. She liked to sleep outside on cool desert evening like that. I was in such a hurry to leave for work the next morning that I skipped breakfast and left the house quickly before seeing her thinking the joke was on her. When I came home and she wasn't there to great me I new something was wrong since she would be in house on a warm afternoon and went looking for her. I found her were she had laid down to sleep. I could not have wished a more peaceful way to go for her. Still, it doesn't seem to eliminate the grief.

I appreciate being able to read some of the posts on this site as it has begun to seem a little wierd that while I am busy and life goes on that things are not quite right with me yet.

Friends and family wish I would find another animal but I am not sure that is such a great idea.

Thanks for sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Missing Peri-peri_.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,626 times
First of all, Peri was such a good looking dog! I would like to say I envy you for a wonderful last night you two had together. I had a 15 y/o cat that went in his sleep. Although I was glady he went in his sleep, I felt guilty for not spending a quality night with him the night before.

It is only natural for us to feel guilt (typically we are too over critical) and to feel a sense of emptiness after a loss. We are are own worse critics. Your Peri was an integral part of your life and heart...of course something is missing in your life. I think the connection you had with Peri is something you would want again. Consider honoring Peri by adopting another dog. You would be saving a dog's ife and honoring Peri at the same time. If you need a few weeks (or more) to grieve before getting a new dog that is okay. I lost my cat a few years ago and I still think about him and miss him. I don't know how I will adjust when the time come for my dogs...probably just as you are doing...taking things one day at a time. At least you are aware that you are grieving. Takes this time to take a little more care of yourself and recognize that this is a normal response in anyone who has the capability to love.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,543 times
What a beautiful dog! You will know in your heart (or as in my case, a situation that came up where I got another cat when my precious Asia passed). when it is time for another companion. Be gentle with yourself, rejoice in all the great years you shared with each other. (((Hugs)))

Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
Gorgeous, gorgeous creature that Peri. Do you know what breed? She looks very wolf/coyote-like.

I absolutely agree with Amazonchix...to get another dog would honor the spirit of Peri. And you are honoring Peri, not replacing her. You will know when you are ready. Blessings ~

Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Sorry for your loss. I'm glad she had a gentle ending to her life.

Thanks for posting her pic. She was a beaut!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
Peri passed away sometime in the night this past April 23rd after a great 12 years together. An evening at the park and a neighborhood walk before turning in gave no hint it was our last. She liked to sleep outside on cool desert evening like that. I was in such a hurry to leave for work the next morning that I skipped breakfast and left the house quickly before seeing her thinking the joke was on her. When I came home and she wasn't there to great me I new something was wrong since she would be in house on a warm afternoon and went looking for her. I found her were she had laid down to sleep. I could not have wished a more peaceful way to go for her. Still, it doesn't seem to eliminate the grief.

I appreciate being able to read some of the posts on this site as it has begun to seem a little wierd that while I am busy and life goes on that things are not quite right with me yet.

Friends and family wish I would find another animal but I am not sure that is such a great idea.

Thanks for sharing
That is how my dog, Angel did go to heaven, not my dog, my mom's dog.
She was a true friend in moving, and at age 12, she was sick, so said the vet.
At first, no, that maybe, we saw a vet different, he ran a blood panel
after seeing her records. His look was grim. We did wait for over 2 hours,
because he was so busy. Then Angel did perk up some drink some water,
and hope! He did come into the room, both Angel, and I did decide home!
Yes, I did win that round, maybe angels made her well her blood work was
all great. I had the b4 and after, as he did, why it really was strange.

2 years later, after, a fun day, she did act funny and now was age 14, when
she did not eat, it was not good. I did the vet etc., they had no idea, I did
my Angel was to get real wings. She did die on the first day of summer,
in my arms, and, I had no clue, for a few a wee bit. I still miss her, and
always will. I have not found the spirit, to even think of another dog.
I still do have an 8 year old dog, angel did approve of. Someday, maybe
but not yet. Maybe, never, I just have no desire to now have 2 dogs. I also do believe, Angel, let me down, the best way she could. People are made
better by the love and compassion we show our pets. May your dog frolic with all the pets, and someday, maybe a puppy, or kitten will be in your life.

Last edited by maggiekate; 06-17-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 07:51 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,333 times
Peri was beautiful...and thankfully crossed over peacefully in the cool, desert night, not in a hospital with tubes, catheters, and strangers around. Bless you for giving him a wonderful life with you...when the time is right, he will send another animal your way for you to care for. You will know when it's meant to be...hang in there & let the tears flow as long as they must. RIP Peri.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,681 times
Peri is so gorgeous! What a striking dog. You have my deepest sympathy. It is so painful when you lose a precious friend. The pain will ease with time, but don't be afraid to grieve. My little love has been gone 6 months now, and many times it will overtake me still. 12 years is a long time. Peri will live in your heart always, and when you feel it is right and you can love again, you may wish to share your love with a new friend. But that is for you to decide.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,484 times
Default What breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Gorgeous, gorgeous creature that Peri. Do you know what breed? She looks very wolf/coyote-like. ~
She was actually found as a stray but I believe she was a husky-wolf mix. She only weighed 65 lbs which I think is small but I know some of the other mixes are with malamutes which are much larger animals than the husky. She did like the coyotes hereabouts and always took the opportunity to chase and play with them although I think they only rarely thought of it as fun.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Stunning dog...Sorry for your loss RIP Peri!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge