Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,903 times

Advertisements

I suggest go for the 2005-2007 (2nd Gen GD/GG) Impreza WRX or STi if you want more power.

I hate the way the current ones look, they seem to have lost all their sportiness and look very bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Better bland than attract attention by driving a WRX like it should be driven - fast.

I have a ‘96 legacy Wagon with 165k. I just replaced the head gaskets as they had started to leak. I paid 5K four years ago. I have never driven a better snow car.

Even if I had the cash for a new car I would buy used at least 3 to 4 years old. I see no reason to buy something that loses 50% of the value instantly. If the car was leased it was probably properly maintained and would likely be the best deal. Private sale prices are generally lower but there is no warrantee beyond the manuf.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
You're gonna laugh when I say this, but I think the best Scooby's ever made were the 1980's era GL wagons. (Later renamed the Loyale after 1991)

They were available with a turbo 1.8 liter engine, and an actual 4WD High/Low range transfer case!

Not the prettiest cars, but man, were those things indestructible. But like you mentioned, they're hard as hell to find now,due to the fact that most of them are rotted into the ground from road salt.

Check it out, here's the picture of the 4WD shifter from my 87 Turbo GL Wagon

Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
You're gonna laugh when I say this, but I think the best Scooby's ever made were the 1980's era GL wagons. (Later renamed the Loyale after 1991)

They were available with a turbo 1.8 liter engine, and an actual 4WD High/Low range transfer case!

Not the prettiest cars, but man, were those things indestructible. But like you mentioned, they're hard as hell to find now,due to the fact that most of them are rotted into the ground from road salt.

Check it out, here's the picture of the 4WD shifter from my 87 Turbo GL Wagon
No laughter here ... these were tough cars and easy to maintain, and had all the attributes of inexpensive transportation that you could want.

I had several clients that used the non-turbo models for winter beaters or their kid's high school cars ... and routinely turned in 35 mpg if they kept it out of 4 wheel drive. Lift that lever for the 4 wheel drive and you lost 10-12 mpg.

Sadly, as you say ... most of these are now rotted away and past even being in the boneyards ... now all crushed.

My only issue with these cars was that the interiors were a little on the small side for my comfort and hauling all the stuff around that I need to have. The later 1995 Legacy's are just right ....

Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Actually around here there are quite a few still in service.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Yeah they're still pretty prevalent here in Colorado. We don't use salt here so cars last alot longer.

That and Colorado is pretty much the Subaru captial of the country.

Heuberger VW/Subaru here sells more of them than any other dealr in the United States.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Thank you for your knowledgeable replies.

From what you all say, it seems that a new Subaru here in Vermont might just be a waste of money, considering the rust issues on top of the depreciation.

I do like the older Impreza wagons better than the new Imprezas. But, even though I like the cargo space of wagons, I dislike the lack of concealed cargo space, i.e. a trunk. I like the newer Legacy models. Also, I want to have stability control. I don't know what year the stability control became available.

I don't know how to get a used Subaru from out of state unless I do it online. There is a good dealership in town, but, since it is a dealership, I don't really trust them to give me accurate information. I really want honest, unbiased information, not manipulative spin.

I may visit them to test drive some cars and also to see what used Subarus they have in their lot, but I still feel I need to have more information before I go in. I don't want to be red meat for them.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
If concealing stuff is an issue for you, Subaru wagons come with a retractable cargo cover (click for image). And while that may not seem as secure, remember that if someone can break into your car, they can also break into your trunk by either pulling the interior trunk release lever or folding down the rear seats.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:12 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Thank you for your knowledgeable replies.

I don't know how to get a used Subaru from out of state unless I do it online. There is a good dealership in town, but, since it is a dealership, I don't really trust them to give me accurate information. I really want honest, unbiased information, not manipulative spin.

I may visit them to test drive some cars and also to see what used Subarus they have in their lot, but I still feel I need to have more information before I go in. I don't want to be red meat for them.
Buying a car that's not local to you can be a bit problematic for a one-time buyer. But the pro's do it all the time, and it's really not such a big deal to do if you'll treat it as a business instead of an emotional purchase.

The best thing to do is to directly contact car dealerships outside of the New England rust belt. For newer model Subaru's, it's most likely that you'll see top quality merchandise show up at franchised dealerships ... although those will be your most expensive used models.

Older models will mostly show up in the used-car lots, and will be more difficult to locate a "good" car as an out-of-state buyer. If you can locate some of the larger independents that you trust to locate a car to your specs, than this may work out for you.

Since there's going to be a significant expense in either picking up a car from an out of state location, or having it delivered to you .... you'll need to have some working agreement with the dealer that they really have a car at your price point that is in the condition you need it to be. Some dealers are truly ignorant and will ship you junk, some dealers are knowledgeable and competent and value your business and make it worth your while to do business with them. You'll most likely have to contact many and explain in detail what years/models you're looking for and get a feeling for what price points to expect from those dealers.

Right now, I think good used cars ... in general ... as well as good quality Subaru's ... are bringing premium prices. New car sales are slumping despite some very attractive financing arrangements. Be prepared with your cash in hand or pre-arranged financing for your potential purchase; after all the work to locate a suitable car to buy, you don't want to get hung up on the money side of the deal.

Do your research; perhaps there's a branch of a major national re-seller in your area, such as AutoNation that has a branch in an area where decent used Subaru's are likely to be found. They can ship a car to a local branch for you and you've then got a local dealership to work with.

Good luck in your search and purchase.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Sunsprit, you specifically recommended the 95 to 97 cars with the "bulletproof 2.2 engine" - is this not the same engine in the 92 MY cars?

My Subie 1992 with the 2.2 has 260K+ miles and still runs like a champ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru