Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 07:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

They are late to the party and missed out. The early adopters of the EV all have theirs, and it's a hard sell to the rest of us. Many are waiting for a better charging network, or a greater range. Others will never buy an EV even if they are given away.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...he-2023-07-11/

https://www.businessinsider.com/auto...roblems-2023-6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 07:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They are late to the party and missed out. The early adopters of the EV all have theirs, and it's a hard sell to the rest of us. Many are waiting for a better charging network, or a greater range. Others will never buy an EV even if they are given away.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...he-2023-07-11/

https://www.businessinsider.com/auto...roblems-2023-6
Maybe if the inventory gets high enough I can get a Blazer EV for $25k.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:36 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just got a $17,000-off email from the Subaru dealer in Braintree MA.

They have 5 in inventory.
Wow! Now at $17k off, they're actually not a bad deal anymore - but that goes to show what it will take to move them... amazing.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:52 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just got a $17,000-off email from the Subaru dealer in Braintree MA.

They have 5 in inventory.
Not too bad at that price. Ioniq 5 locally is 10k off MSRP though as well. Entire market gone very soft.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:03 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
If they give the Toyota at the Chevy Bolt EUV price then I might consider it. The thing is in the EV world, Tesla has set the standard, even though they have a lot of fit and finish issues, the buyers are willing to put up with these issues due to pricing, ease of purchase and fast charging along with good network.

In my case, we need a around town car which makes fast charging irrelevant. Price is a big factor along with insurance since we have two young drivers. The Tesla costs twice as much to insure compared to a Bolt EUV or a Kona EV. Not to mention, I can get a used one of these with 20K miles for much cheaper than the Tesla. But I am not our typical customer. The typical customer would sit home and click away and wants to be able to do a 600 mile road trip with the car.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:06 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
If they give the Toyota at the Chevy Bolt EUV price then I might consider it. The thing is in the EV world, Tesla has set the standard, even though they have a lot of fit and finish issues, the buyers are willing to put up with these issues due to pricing, ease of purchase and fast charging along with good network.

In my case, we need a around town car which makes fast charging irrelevant. Price is a big factor along with insurance since we have two young drivers. The Tesla costs twice as much to insure compared to a Bolt EUV or a Kona EV. Not to mention, I can get a used one of these with 20K miles for much cheaper than the Tesla. But I am not our typical customer. The typical customer would sit home and click away and wants to be able to do a 600 mile road trip with the car.
They aren't buying EVs anyway. Most actual EV owners have gas cars for longer trips. Once the Supercharger network opens up, I'll maybe reevaluate that. It wasn't a huge priority so I have one of the slower chargers. Faster than a Bolt or Toyota, not nearly as fast as a Tesla or Hyundai. Major thing isn't really speed so much as reliability though hence why when Superchargers open up I might consider it. It's not such a huge issue more locally here in the Bay Area as it's very urbanized and there's another charger in 5-10 miles.... but you get out in flyover country where it's 50 miles between chargers and there's a good change you don't make it from one out of order charger to the next closest one. Tesla's network is way more reliable.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:57 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They aren't buying EVs anyway. Most actual EV owners have gas cars for longer trips. Once the Supercharger network opens up, I'll maybe reevaluate that. It wasn't a huge priority so I have one of the slower chargers. Faster than a Bolt or Toyota, not nearly as fast as a Tesla or Hyundai. Major thing isn't really speed so much as reliability though hence why when Superchargers open up I might consider it. It's not such a huge issue more locally here in the Bay Area as it's very urbanized and there's another charger in 5-10 miles.... but you get out in flyover country where it's 50 miles between chargers and there's a good change you don't make it from one out of order charger to the next closest one. Tesla's network is way more reliable.
My 2011 Forester only has 72k miles on it, so sit tight and wait is also my plan. Subaru has announced they'll be coming out with 4 new EVs in 2026, which presumably will have the NACS (Tesla standard) charging ports. The opening up of Tesla Superchargers to non-Teslas will no doubt give the other networks a much-needed kick in the pants; they will have to improve their charger reliability in order to survive. And I'm seeing more chargers popping up in the more rural parts of my state (Nebraska); once those are reliable, when it's time to replace my current Subaru I'm hoping an EV version of the Forester will be taking its place in my condo garage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru