Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 07:28 AM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times

Advertisements

On Friday evening, I must have run over something sharp because one of my tires on my Subaru Crosstrek went flat. At first I didn't know what happened exactly. I heard a thumping noise and I really just thought something hit the side of the car. But then a warning light when off on my dash.

I didn't have any problems controlling or driving the car, so I drove to a parking lot to pull over instead of the side of the highway since I figured the lot would be safer (I drove about a mile). I thought maybe a lug nut fell off and that was the thumping noise I heard and why a tire light came one. I wasn't sure. I was really surprised to see I had a flat tire on the rear of the car.

As my luck would have it, my brother was nearby and helped me put the spare on (which was good because it looked to me like those lug nuts were on too tight for me). I told my brother I was bummed about not having to replace all four tires. He only said that yeah, it looked like the tires had more life in them. I drove the car home on the doughnut and I called my mechanic and asked for a quote on four new tires because that's what I thought you are supposed to do with AWD and that's what the owners manual said.

Well, since then I've gotten all kinds of opinions and now I am confused (none of these people have seen the car or the tire that blew out).
  • My uncle found out about it thought the family gossip and says I only need to replace two tires. I have a friend who tells me the same. They both said it's a gimmick to get more money and to ignore the owners manual in that regard (neither of these men work on cars or anything though).
  • My aunt (again, family talking) who has a Jeep (also AWD) says she's only replaced one tire with no problems. (she doesn't work on cars either).
  • I though about patching the tire but my boyfriend (who does work on cars--mainly body work but he also does some minor repairs) says a big no to the patch. He send me a video on why they aren't always safe. He said I need a new tire... I could have it shaved down to match the others, but he says I should just got four new tires. But he also makes nearly four times what I make so money to him isn't as pressing as it is to me (I also have a kid in college). So he does have a slightly different view.
The tires that are still good are all the original tires that came with the car: 225/55R18 Falken Ziex ZE001 with 30K miles on them. I took a look at them and measured the thread with a penny. They cover Abe's hairline so they have enough tread. But they aren't as good as they could be and I think I would probably need to replace them in about 10K miles.

The flat tire seems to have a hole in it, almost right in the middle of the tread. It's not a puncture, it's almost like a small tear about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long. The rupture is outwards looking, but I wonder if that was just caused by rapidly depleting pressure in the tire.

I am leaning towards my boyfriend's advice because he knows cars and my owners manual says the same as he does. But I would kind of like to just hear some more opinions (to be completely up front here, I am looking for confirmation that replacing all four is the right thing to do because it will make me feel better about dipping into my savings and spending all that money). But I am still open to other opinions because I am curious why some people would say just two or one and if there is anything to that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 07:59 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
On Friday evening, I must have run over something sharp because one of my tires on my Subaru Crosstrek went flat. At first I didn't know what happened exactly. I heard a thumping noise and I really just thought something hit the side of the car. But then a warning light when off on my dash.

I didn't have any problems controlling or driving the car, so I drove to a parking lot to pull over instead of the side of the highway since I figured the lot would be safer (I drove about a mile). I thought maybe a lug nut fell off and that was the thumping noise I heard and why a tire light came one. I wasn't sure. I was really surprised to see I had a flat tire on the rear of the car.

As my luck would have it, my brother was nearby and helped me put the spare on (which was good because it looked to me like those lug nuts were on too tight for me). I told my brother I was bummed about not having to replace all four tires. He only said that yeah, it looked like the tires had more life in them. I drove the car home on the doughnut and I called my mechanic and asked for a quote on four new tires because that's what I thought you are supposed to do with AWD and that's what the owners manual said.

Well, since then I've gotten all kinds of opinions and now I am confused (none of these people have seen the car or the tire that blew out).
  • My uncle found out about it thought the family gossip and says I only need to replace two tires. I have a friend who tells me the same. They both said it's a gimmick to get more money and to ignore the owners manual in that regard (neither of these men work on cars or anything though).
  • My aunt (again, family talking) who has a Jeep (also AWD) says she's only replaced one tire with no problems. (she doesn't work on cars either).
  • I though about patching the tire but my boyfriend (who does work on cars--mainly body work but he also does some minor repairs) says a big no to the patch. He send me a video on why they aren't always safe. He said I need a new tire... I could have it shaved down to match the others, but he says I should just got four new tires. But he also makes nearly four times what I make so money to him isn't as pressing as it is to me (I also have a kid in college). So he does have a slightly different view.
The tires that are still good are all the original tires that came with the car: 225/55R18 Falken Ziex ZE001 with 30K miles on them. I took a look at them and measured the thread with a penny. They cover Abe's hairline so they have enough tread. But they aren't as good as they could be and I think I would probably need to replace them in about 10K miles.

The flat tire seems to have a hole in it, almost right in the middle of the tread. It's not a puncture, it's almost like a small tear about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long. The rupture is outwards looking, but I wonder if that was just caused by rapidly depleting pressure in the tire.

I am leaning towards my boyfriend's advice because he knows cars and my owners manual says the same as he does. But I would kind of like to just hear some more opinions (to be completely up front here, I am looking for confirmation that replacing all four is the right thing to do because it will make me feel better about dipping into my savings and spending all that money). But I am still open to other opinions because I am curious why some people would say just two or one and if there is anything to that.

Thanks!
By the time you hear a thumping noise because you are driving on a flat tire it is a reasonably safe bet the tire is damaged and cannot be save by patching the leak. Your describing a 1/2"' to 3/4" tear does not sound good at all.

With full-time AWD all four tires do, indeed have to have close to the same tread/rolling diameter or the coupling between front and rear wheels will be over-stressed due to constant slippage. Believe me you don't want to pay to replace driveline parts. If on a budget have the replacement tire shaved to match or find a used tire of same diameter.

This situation is one reason I tell my customers at my repair shop in Austin, Texas that a Subaru is a good car to buy in snow country, NOT a good car to buy where you will never use all-wheel-drive.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
By the time you hear a thumping noise because you are driving on a flat tire it is a reasonably safe bet the tire is damaged and cannot be save by patching the leak. Your describing a 1/2"' to 3/4" tear does not sound good at all.

With full-time AWD all four tires do, indeed have to have close to the same tread/rolling diameter or the coupling between front and rear wheels will be over-stressed due to constant slippage. Believe me you don't want to pay to replace driveline parts. If on a budget have the replacement tire shaved to match or find a used tire of same diameter.

This situation is one reason I tell my customers at my repair shop in Austin, Texas that a Subaru is a good car to buy in snow country, NOT a good car to buy where you will never use all-wheel-drive.

Thanks! I was wondering if driving on the tire ruined it. That's why I included the noise and the fact that I drove on it for at least a mile after I heard that noise (it literally only thumped two times and was done). I just feel so silly for not realizing what the issue was right way. I mean, aside form the noise and the warning light, I never would have known (it wasn't like the car pulled to one side or ran rough or anything like that).

We get snow here and they don't always plow the roads (although we got next to none this year). I make frequent trips to upstate NY too. So I am glad I have the AWD, despite the tire drawback. But yeah, if I lived in Texas, I wouldn't have this car.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 04-16-2023 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-16-2023, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
With 30k on awd....
  1. Patch it if tire structure is ok. (Unlikely if you drove on it flat for over a couple hundred feet)
  2. Find a used replacement if similar dia and tread. (if OEM, you have a good chance of finding a used tire that matches)
  3. Replace all 4 when reasonable for you to do so.
A mechanic or tire shop will guide you to replace all 4 due to liability and saving them time.

Subaru says there can be no more than 1/4" difference in Circumference (not Diameter)of tires to avoid damage to the Transmission..... measure all the way around each tire, and check the measurements....

Old 04-16-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
With 30k on awd....
  1. Patch it if tire structure is ok. (Unlikely if you drove on it flat for over a couple hundred feet)
  2. Find a used replacement if similar dia and tread. (if OEM, you have a good chance of finding a used tire that matches)
  3. Replace all 4 when reasonable for you to do so.
A mechanic or tire shop will guide you to replace all 4 due to liability and saving them time.

Subaru says there can be no more than 1/4" difference in Circumference (not Diameter)of tires to avoid damage to the Transmission..... measure all the way around each tire, and check the measurements....

Thanks!

Yeah, I drove more than a few hundred feet. If I knew it was flat, I wouldn't have done that. It was weird, it just drove the same as always. Just a short thumping for a few seconds and then the warning light about a quarter mile down the road. Then I drove to a parking lot where I knew I would be safe while I tried to figure out what happened. It was pretty clear once I got out and saw the tire. I actually thought maybe a lug nut fell off since I just had the tires rotated and rebalanced. That's kind of what the noise sounded like, something just clanging around for a few seconds in the wheel well.

Oh well, I can't change that I drove about a mile before pulling over. I am upset with myself because I ruined the possibility of a patch I think, but at the same time, I thought I was doing the right thing at the time because I thought it was safer and had no clue I just got a flat.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:52 AM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yes you should either replace all 4, find a used one with similar wear, or you can even have a new tire shaved down to match your existing ones is they still have a lot of life left.

TireRack does that for $25-35.
Can Tires Be Shaved To Match Tread Depths On All-Wheel Drive & Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles?

Old 04-16-2023, 04:40 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I’d take it to a tire shop and ask if it can be fixed. If not, I’d be shop for all weather tires. I’m a Nokian guy so their WR G4. There are a bunch of other manufacturers making all weather tires now but Nokian was the first in the early 2000s. It’s a hard compound tire with a mountain & snowflake symbol on it so it’s a snow tire you leave on the car all year.

AWD cars eat tires. You’ll be replacing tires for next winter. If you can delay by 6 months fixing your flat, that’s your most cost effective option. You can also shave a tire to match but it’s pointless with 30,000 miles on the other three tires. Subarus eat tires. 30,000 miles out of a 60,000 mile tire is fairly typical.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yes you should either replace all 4, find a used one with similar wear, or you can even have a new tire shaved down to match your existing ones is they still have a lot of life left.

TireRack does that for $25-35.
Can Tires Be Shaved To Match Tread Depths On All-Wheel Drive & Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’d take it to a tire shop and ask if it can be fixed. If not, I’d be shop for all weather tires. I’m a Nokian guy so their WR G4. There are a bunch of other manufacturers making all weather tires now but Nokian was the first in the early 2000s. It’s a hard compound tire with a mountain & snowflake symbol on it so it’s a snow tire you leave on the car all year.

AWD cars eat tires. You’ll be replacing tires for next winter. If you can delay by 6 months fixing your flat, that’s your most cost effective option. You can also shave a tire to match but it’s pointless with 30,000 miles on the other three tires. Subarus eat tires. 30,000 miles out of a 60,000 mile tire is fairly typical.

I went out this afternoon and measured the tread. I don't have a tire gauge, so I just used and marked a piece of cardboard and then measured with a ruler. I have 4/32 left on the tires. I am just going to replace. It seems silly to shave a tire down to that only to replace it a few months later. And yeah, I got 30K out of a 50K tire. That's good to know they eat tires. I wasn't aware of that when I bought it. Funny how none of the reviews mentioned that. haha. I still really like the car though.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I went out this afternoon and measured the tread. I don't have a tire gauge, so I just used and marked a piece of cardboard and then measured with a ruler. I have 4/32 left on the tires. I am just going to replace. It seems silly to shave a tire down to that only to replace it a few months later. And yeah, I got 30K out of a 50K tire. That's good to know they eat tires. I wasn't aware of that when I bought it. Funny how none of the reviews mentioned that. haha. I still really like the car though.
All full time AWD cars eat tires. With a FWD car, the rears don’t wear as much so you get significantly better tire wear assuming you’re rotating them properly. A Subaru in the snow belt, you’ll typically notice the wear snow driving at 30,000 miles. You don’t see it in Haldex-style AWD where the rears only kick in when it detects wheel slip in the fronts.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:13 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
If worst comes to worst, a real tire shop (as opposed to a gas station) can probably shave the new tire tread to match the wear level of the other 3. You're trying to match the outer diameters on all 4 wheels, is what this is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru