Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 07:04 PM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times

Advertisements

I should update. I bought four new tires: Michelin Defenders. The mechanic told me while I didn't shred my tire for the short distance I rode on it, he said it was close and he wouldn't ride on that tire (so patching was out). I have to admit, the car seems to drive a lot smother and quieter now, but maybe that's my imagination.

I now owe my savings account another $1000 (I've been bleeding out money the past week but I guess that's what savings are for). Time to tighten the belt for a bit. Thanks for the help everyone. You made me feel better about spending that $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 08:28 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
I know this is an old thread that was resolved but I went through something similar. I have the Crosstrek's non-SUV cousin, a 2018 Impreza Hatchback. It only had 5K miles when I got it in 2021 and now has 45K miles on her. About a year and 20K miles in I hit a nail. My main mechanic is a tire guy (started out as a tire shop I went to and switched to him for all repairs when he expanded his business) and he assured me a patch will work. It did all the way until I finally put in new tires (Kumho t51a, 60K warranty) last month.

I had the real bad luck of nails going into BOTH my back tires since I got them (a lot of construction going on in my area is the theory) and again I was assured that patch will be fine and it is better than replacing the tires (even though they were brand new). I was nervous and skeptical but I've put 1500 miles on them since and it's been fine.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:42 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I know this is an old thread that was resolved but I went through something similar. I have the Crosstrek's non-SUV cousin, a 2018 Impreza Hatchback. It only had 5K miles when I got it in 2021 and now has 45K miles on her. About a year and 20K miles in I hit a nail. My main mechanic is a tire guy (started out as a tire shop I went to and switched to him for all repairs when he expanded his business) and he assured me a patch will work. It did all the way until I finally put in new tires (Kumho t51a, 60K warranty) last month.

I had the real bad luck of nails going into BOTH my back tires since I got them (a lot of construction going on in my area is the theory) and again I was assured that patch will be fine and it is better than replacing the tires (even though they were brand new). I was nervous and skeptical but I've put 1500 miles on them since and it's been fine.

I rarely bump threads (nor reply to my own comments), but I have put 8K miles since and the patches have held, so they definitely are good.

Old 10-29-2023, 03:32 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
A patch is normally good and safe to drive on. I have driven many a tire with patches or plugs for more miles than many people drive in a lifetime.
The difference between your patch and WL1919d is that WL was already down to 4 mm of tread left. Just about time to replace anyway, so smart move to get a new set of tires.

You will be fine, just keep an eye on them and the tire pressure. Which, you should be doing anyway.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The auto manufacturers are using tires that are softer and therefore a nicer ride for test drives to sell their cars. That means they don't last as long as the replacements, and more so if AWD like the Subaru. Our 2020 Outback has only 22,000 miles and we are not expecting to get more than another 8-10,000 before they need replacing. For any vehicle, if the owner's manual says to change all 4 at the same time, you need to do it, at least while the car (not just tires) is on warranty. You can end up with damage to various bearings, shafts and joints in the drivetrain and be denied warranty repair if the tires are not matched.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:27 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The auto manufacturers are using tires that are softer and therefore a nicer ride for test drives to sell their cars. That means they don't last as long as the replacements, and more so if AWD like the Subaru. Our 2020 Outback has only 22,000 miles and we are not expecting to get more than another 8-10,000 before they need replacing. For any vehicle, if the owner's manual says to change all 4 at the same time, you need to do it, at least while the car (not just tires) is on warranty. You can end up with damage to various bearings, shafts and joints in the drivetrain and be denied warranty repair if the tires are not matched.
I don't know. The 2021 Forester has Bridgestones which show very little wear after 25K.

The 2010 Forester came with Yokohamas and those things just kept going and going. I won't say how many miles were put on them because I don't feel like getting lectured today but they were replaced well after the rated miles. The replacements, again Yokohamas, have 70K on them and are just now showing wear.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know. The 2021 Forester has Bridgestones which show very little wear after 25K.

The 2010 Forester came with Yokohamas and those things just kept going and going. I won't say how many miles were put on them because I don't feel like getting lectured today but they were replaced well after the rated miles. The replacements, again Yokohamas, have 70K on them and are just now showing wear.
Ours are also Yokohamas, and we were surprised at how fast they are wearing. Your replacements are more in line with what one expects for a light 4 cylinder vehicle.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:07 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ours are also Yokohamas, and we were surprised at how fast they are wearing. Your replacements are more in line with what one expects for a light 4 cylinder vehicle.
That's strange. Both sets of Yokohamas that have been on the 2010 have exceeded my expectations.

I've put two sets of Geolanders on the F150 (the first was to replace the OEM Michelins at <30K) and, while not wearing as long as the Forester's Avids, they have also worn longer than I expected (plus being much better in the mud I occasionally find myself in).

Old 10-30-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's strange. Both sets of Yokohamas that have been on the 2010 have exceeded my expectations.

I've put two sets of Geolanders on the F150 (the first was to replace the OEM Michelins at <30K) and, while not wearing as long as the Forester's Avids, they have also worn longer than I expected (plus being much better in the mud I occasionally find myself in).
Maybe the type of driving matters? The Outback gets very little local use, my wife works a block from home. We have done our vacations, day trips and overnights all over the west coast in it. Most weekend we'll drive at least 100 miles round trip for some adventure, if only discovering a new dive for lunch or visit grandkids. It's been mostly highway driving at 65-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru