Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:02 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Thanks for the reply!! I live at 6000' and routinely go up to 10,000'. I thought the base Outback engine felt a little sluggish compared to my CR-V but that may be the CVT transmission, I don't know. The turbo/CVT combination felt a little "jerky" to me on a test drive around town, maybe it would just take a little getting used to.

Like you, we find the seats very comfortable. The Ascent is even better, but is bigger than what we want.
It's not. The Outback/Forester are among the slowest cars for sale. They're marginally faster than a Prius. I drive a Prius. It's adequate. I rarely find it to be so slow that it's actually a problem. It is also very slow. I also ride a Ninja 250. Elevation + incline on that? Yeah, it's just no good. If I'm heading up to high sierras (7,000-9,000') I take the other motorcycle.

Jerkiness probably is more throttle responsiveness than anything. The turbo model probably just has much faster throttle response than more lazy throttle response for maximizing fuel economy. Turbos are particularly useful at altitude. In the practical elevation range that anyone is going to be driving at, a turbocharged engine makes the same power at sea level as it does at 10,000 feet. The turbo just spins faster to compress the thinner air so you get the same density at 10,000 feet or sea level going into the engine. E.g, the old 3% rule for every 1,000 feet. The 180 HP Outback is making more like 126 HP at 10,000 feet. The 260 HP Outback is still making 260 HP. The turbo has gone from making around 45% more horsepower to double the horsepower. Whether that's worth the added cost, complexity, and lower fuel economy is entirely up to you.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-30-2021 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 02:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
The turbo, 260 horsepower I believe, will maintain horsepower much better. There are complicated formulas that will give you an actual estimate, but you'll still be significantly north of 200 horsepower.
Very significantly north of 200 horsepower.

Quote:
Remember, you can never be too good looking, have too much money, or have too much horsepower !! ;-)
It seems to me consumer demand is at serious odds with CAFE standards.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:31 AM

Quote:
The turbo, 260 horsepower I believe, will maintain horsepower much better. There are complicated formulas that will give you an actual estimate, but you'll still be significantly north of 200 horsepower.
The formulas are more complex but they also depend on the design of the engine. Every turbocharged engine has a critical altitude which is the altitude where you still get the same hp as you do at sea level.

It may not seem like it when you first watch this video, but it actually gives a fairly accurate description at what the Subaru engineers have done with the new 260 hp Outback engine. The plan is to further modify this engine for the 2022 WRX, and boost it up to 400 hp.

The video has an annoying advertisement built into it, but if you hang in it will give you all the details of why this is considered one of the best engines ever designed by Subaru,

Subaru's NEW Boxer Engine - The Science EXPLAINED

If you find the video too annoying, the basic points were quickly summarized in this article.
By Denis Flierl G+ Jul 18 2020 Is The Subaru Outback And Ascent's New 2.4L Turbo Engine Reliable? Why It's The Best Yet

We also note that all this extra hp was achieved while only giving up 3 mpg
2.5 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (AV-S8) ; Combined MPG:29 in Outback with 182 hp engine
2.4 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (AV-S8), Turbo ;Combined MPG:26 in Outback with 260 hp Turbo engine | Combined MPG:23 in Ascent

Old 07-01-2021, 01:37 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times
Which one is an Outback 3.6R?

Old 07-03-2021, 10:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Which one is an Outback 3.6R?
None, they don't have the 3.6 anymore. It's not a great engine actually. It maybe smoother but it's not all that great in power vs the 2.4L DIT engine.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:19 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
None, they don't have the 3.6 anymore. It's not a great engine actually. It maybe smoother but it's not all that great in power vs the 2.4L DIT engine.
I’ll bet my 3.6 6-cylinder makes it to 200,000 miles without anything bad happening to it. I’m dubious that the same will be true of the 2.4 turbo. The advantage of the 4-cylinder turbo is weight and internal resistance that both relate directly to fuel economy. CAFE regulations is why the 6-cylinder engine went away. In terms of daily driver experience, it’s the best match to an Outback. No turbo lag. Much quieter. Much less vibration. The turbo is useful at altitude so it’s an advantage there. At sea level, the turbo is a bit better in zero to 60 because the car is a bit lighter.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ll bet my 3.6 6-cylinder makes it to 200,000 miles without anything bad happening to it. I’m dubious that the same will be true of the 2.4 turbo. The advantage of the 4-cylinder turbo is weight and internal resistance that both relate directly to fuel economy. CAFE regulations is why the 6-cylinder engine went away. In terms of daily driver experience, it’s the best match to an Outback. No turbo lag. Much quieter. Much less vibration. The turbo is useful at altitude so it’s an advantage there. At sea level, the turbo is a bit better in zero to 60 because the car is a bit lighter.
The days of 6 cylinder is winding down because of CAFE. The only way they can bring it back would be to add some cylinder deactivation or hybrid to get mpg up to 36 hway. Otherwise majority of new cars now uses a 4 cyl with or without turbo. I'm not worried about the engine, the most important thing is all of them are mated with a CVT which really sucks the joy out of any potent engine.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not worried about the engine, the most important thing is all of them are mated with a CVT which really sucks the joy out of any potent engine.
Crosstrek 2.5L Sport hit 60 mph in 7.8 seconds
Crosstrek 2.0i Premium took 9 seconds to reach 60 mph.
Nissan Leaf electric too 6.5 - 7.5 seconds to reach 60 mph.

See it seems to me that all models that have any kind of "sport" designation will eventually become electric.

In Subaru's case by 2032 I think that basically the Impreza and the Forester will still be gasoline powered. Every other model will be electric.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:35 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
The days of 6 cylinder is winding down because of CAFE. The only way they can bring it back would be to add some cylinder deactivation or hybrid to get mpg up to 36 hway. Otherwise majority of new cars now uses a 4 cyl with or without turbo. I'm not worried about the engine, the most important thing is all of them are mated with a CVT which really sucks the joy out of any potent engine.
Subarus are appliance cars (other’n the WRX and the BRZ). What “joy” does anyone get from driving a Subaru? CVT is appropriate for an appliance car.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:09 AM

Funny essay
Vehicles as Appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Subarus are appliance cars.
I should think the Outbacks and Legacies with the CB18 engine have graduated beyond "appliance"
2.4 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (AV-S8),with Turbo engine
Horsepower: 260
Torque: 277 lb-ft.
0-60 mph: 6.3 seconds.
1/4 mile: 14.9 seconds @ 96 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru