Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 AM

90 posts, read 368,972 times

Advertisements

I never see too many Legacies on the road. In mid-size family sedans I see tons of Accord, Sonatas and Camry's. What's the deal with the Legacy? The 2015 is supposed to ride smoother than prior years.

It would be nice to have a car that is reliable, looks good, has a nice interior and not everyone has one like the Accord, Camry and Sonata.

Any thoughts/experiences with this vehicle?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Very few 2015's on the road, but the 2010-2014 Legacy can be used for comparison since there are few drivetrain/major mechanical changes in this refresh.

I say go for it. The Legacy has not caught on like the Camry or Accord, for numerous reasons. Being AWD is a plus for many, but also a minus too. The AWD incurs a fuel mileage penalty, as well as increasing maintenance costs. Additionally, more moving parts equals more chances for needed repairs.

On the plus side, the handling dynamics, IMO, are a little more pleasing since the Legacy sends power to the rear wheels all the time, and acts a little more like a RWD vehicle when turning with the throttle.

I personally think it is a quality contender worth consideration, and would not be scared off because it is not a Camry or Accord. That said, just be aware of the differences and the tradeoffs those differences make.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 AM

90 posts, read 368,972 times
Thanks Checkered24,

Yeah on the one hand I would like a car that not everyone else has. On the other hand I would like a car that is reliable like an Accord or Camry that has a nice high quality interior and good resale value. The AWD is a plus (but not must) in the Winter.

I think the Legacy looks nice and is not too gaudy like the Sonata.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Looks better than previous generation but still love the look of the 2005-2009 models

Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
They stopped being cool years ago, now it's just another bland sedan. It's a good option if you want AWD in your life, though.

long term? Subaru parts are moderately expensive, but not nearly as expensive as toyota parts.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I was disappointed in my last Subaru, a 2012 Subaru Forester. The oil consumption was annoying. A quart every 1500 to 2000 miles on a new car in my opinion is unreasonable. I don't care what Subaru says (manual says a quart consumed in 1200 miles is normal). That is one of the reasons why people switched from American cars to Japanese in the 1980s, oil consumption/burn lol! The gas mileage was not great either since it was underpowered. After having 4 Subarus it's going to take awhile to earn back my trust in the product. I have since purchased a 2014 Toyota Highlander and despite being a larger and heavier vehicle with a V-6 I am only getting about 3 mpg less in combined driving (24 vs 27 mpg measured manually at fill ups not by the computer.)

Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I was disappointed in my last Subaru, a 2012 Subaru Forester. The oil consumption was annoying. A quart every 1500 to 2000 miles on a new car in my opinion is unreasonable. I don't care what Subaru says (manual says a quart consumed in 1200 miles is normal). That is one of the reasons why people switched from American cars to Japanese in the 1980s, oil consumption/burn lol! The gas mileage was not great either since it was underpowered. After having 4 Subarus it's going to take awhile to earn back my trust in the product. I have since purchased a 2014 Toyota Highlander and despite being a larger and heavier vehicle with a V-6 I am only getting about 3 mpg less in combined driving (24 vs 27 mpg measured manually at fill ups not by the computer.)
I've put 500,000 miles collectively on Subaru boxers (albeit all turbos) and have NEVER added a drop of oil despite very aggressive driving (including autocross, and quarter mile runs in my younger day). It's few and far between and seemingly targets non-turbo/NA engines. I know there is a class action lawsuit filed but the actual occurrence rate is formally calc'd at 1-2%. Similar to Toyota sludge issues. We also have a Toyota Highlander (thankfully the prior model with true AWD as opposed to only when wheels slip). 24 MPG seems really really high, I can't get it driving on the highways with cruise control set to 60. Definitely not a realistic MPG for city driving in a Highlander. All highway maybe. I do easily achieve in mostly city driving 25mpg these days in the 2014 XT. Closer to 20 in the Highlander and a lot less in my flat 6 air cooled weekend driver

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

169 posts, read 675,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback1313 View Post
I never see too many Legacies on the road. In mid-size family sedans I see tons of Accord, Sonatas and Camry's. What's the deal with the Legacy? The 2015 is supposed to ride smoother than prior years.

It would be nice to have a car that is reliable, looks good, has a nice interior and not everyone has one like the Accord, Camry and Sonata.

Any thoughts/experiences with this vehicle?

Thanks!
Subarus are not that common, period. Toyota sells more Camrys than Subaru does of their entire lineup.
I had a '97 Legacy for 6 years and put around 120,000 miles on it with no major issues. Toward the end the rear main seal started leaking so i got rid of the car but overall it behaved fairly well.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I've put 500,000 miles collectively on Subaru boxers (albeit all turbos) and have NEVER added a drop of oil despite very aggressive driving (including autocross, and quarter mile runs in my younger day). It's few and far between and seemingly targets non-turbo/NA engines. I know there is a class action lawsuit filed but the actual occurrence rate is formally calc'd at 1-2%. Similar to Toyota sludge issues. We also have a Toyota Highlander (thankfully the prior model with true AWD as opposed to only when wheels slip). 24 MPG seems really really high, I can't get it driving on the highways with cruise control set to 60. Definitely not a realistic MPG for city driving in a Highlander. All highway maybe. I do easily achieve in mostly city driving 25mpg these days in the 2014 XT. Closer to 20 in the Highlander and a lot less in my flat 6 air cooled weekend driver
Had a 2005 Legacy GT and that thing burned oil. Eventually the Turbo went twice. They tried to blame it on not getting the oil changed enough. So, I am not a huge fan of Subaru turbos but I still love the brand.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:03 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback1313 View Post
I never see too many Legacies on the road. In mid-size family sedans I see tons of Accord, Sonatas and Camry's. What's the deal with the Legacy?
Subaru is unlike virtually all other manufacturers in that their wagons/crossovers/SUVs outsell their sedans by a large margin. As a result, you are likely to see lots of Outbacks and a decent number of Crosstreks, but not many Legacy sedans.

More than likely, this disparity is because--despite Subaru's advertising--many/most folks are still unaware that the Legacy sedans have the same AWD system as the Outback. With the exception of the shape of the body, Legacy sedans and Outbacks are mechanically identical in almost all respects.

The 2015 models are essentially an evolutionary update of the 2010-2014 design, rather than a clean-sheet redesign. In addition to a slight increase in length and a mild restyling, the 2015 models have been "tweaked" in order to produce better gas mileage and to improve ride quality, but not much else has changed from the previous generation.

Anyway...as the owner of my third Outback, I can tell you from personal experience that it would be difficult to find a more reliable make of car, and it is almost impossible to find one that is as capable on slippery road surfaces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru