Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 11:36 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

I'm nearing end of process in reinventing myself at age 62 having my job phased out during the pandemic, hitting rock bottom fiscally and now however finishing up my degree in Health Services Administration. I currently live in Central Florida (Orlando area) where rent-to-wage inequity is the worst in the nation with a non-crap two bedroom apartment renting for over $2000 per month and stagnant wages around 40K in my field starting out. I'm looking to go under $700 a month for a large studio/1 bedroom to recoup savings and am attracted to what I have seen in STL, especially the highrises downtown near the river and job opportunities at Barnes or SLU Medical Centers. A friend who has left the STL area 20+ years ago states there's "nothing downtown" amenity wise but it would appear that's changed quite a bit? Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 11:55 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
If you are writing about Gentrys Landing or Mansion House apartments, they are probably the best value in DT Stl.

Downtown is not inviting compared to most cities. There are plenty amenities that you could use on daily basis like restaurants and grocery stores.

DT Stl seems to be improving in terms of amenities. I think it is now one of my top 3 or 4 neighborhoods in the city. My biggest complaint was there where too many lofts for sale.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:41 AM

146 posts, read 152,519 times
St. Louis is a cesspool for the most part. St. Charles County is much better.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:30 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
St Charles area is nice, but no cheap real estate there. Inner city St Louis might still be affordable, and the best way to turn it around is for middle income people to move there.

Old 09-13-2022, 04:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. Some areas are bad but calling it a cesspool is a bit overboard. Unfortunately many from St. Charles County will make statements like 4evermissouri.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:57 PM

396 posts, read 653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm nearing end of process in reinventing myself at age 62 having my job phased out during the pandemic, hitting rock bottom fiscally and now however finishing up my degree in Health Services Administration. I currently live in Central Florida (Orlando area) where rent-to-wage inequity is the worst in the nation with a non-crap two bedroom apartment renting for over $2000 per month and stagnant wages around 40K in my field starting out. I'm looking to go under $700 a month for a large studio/1 bedroom to recoup savings and am attracted to what I have seen in STL, especially the highrises downtown near the river and job opportunities at Barnes or SLU Medical Centers. A friend who has left the STL area 20+ years ago states there's "nothing downtown" amenity wise but it would appear that's changed quite a bit? Thoughts? Thanks!
Downtown is work in progress, its kind of one step forward, half step back. 700.00 might be hard to hit - St. Louis Hills might be a nice fit - Neighborhood from the 30's thru 50's, some nice neighborhood amenities, pretty quiet, you can rent a small 1 bed 600.00 to 800.00

Old 09-16-2022, 08:06 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
Downtown is work in progress, its kind of one step forward, half step back. 700.00 might be hard to hit - St. Louis Hills might be a nice fit - Neighborhood from the 30's thru 50's, some nice neighborhood amenities, pretty quiet, you can rent a small 1 bed 600.00 to 800.00
Yes on that…I was thinking maybe Maplewood still has some affordable apartments. How nice? I don’t know but there is a ton to do in the area and a metro station.

I think Lindenwood Park too…close to St. Louis Hills, but St. Louis Hills is higher priced.

CWE is the most complete urban neighborhood IMO, but not likely to find even a studio at that price there.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:07 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,758 times
I wouldn't want to live downtown. It is a ghost town. Maybe somewhere off South Grand in south city.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:27 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Rents are going up everywhere including St. Louis. I'd advise you to be very careful before making such a drastic move - have you thought about the change in weather?

St. Louis isn't Chicago or Minneapolis but we have 4 seasons and a cold winter with snow and ice - just not as much as the northern tier places.

There's a lot to consider.

Most people that I know that leave St. Louis cite the weather as a primary driver along with in some cases better economic opportunities and many have moved to Florida.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:38 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Rents are going up everywhere including St. Louis. I'd advise you to be very careful before making such a drastic move - have you thought about the change in weather?

St. Louis isn't Chicago or Minneapolis but we have 4 seasons and a cold winter with snow and ice - just not as much as the northern tier places.

There's a lot to consider.

Most people that I know that leave St. Louis cite the weather as a primary driver along with in some cases better economic opportunities and many have moved to Florida.
I have lived in Philadelphia and Washington DC prior so I do understand how three months of a season known as winter goes. Anyone moving to avoid three months of winter in exchange for ten months of 90 degrees or better should probably be the ones to "give it more thought".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis