Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times

Advertisements

Charlotte and Wilmington had put in bids but it appears that Greensboro is the only NC city that made a short list of 5 to 6 cities on the east coast for Stone Brewing expansion. 300 plus jobs will come to the city that gets it and it will include a brewery, restaurant, retail shop, outdoor garden and events space. Obvious factors that benefit Greensboro is its central location on the east coast seaboard and its network of interstate highways.

Greensboro on shortlist for Stone Brewing expansion - News-Record.com: Killian, Lehmert, Poe: The Inside Scoop

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...e-brewing.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Cool. Natty's, Red Oak (not Greensboro, I know), Pig Pounder, and I think there is one being built downtown.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Cool. Natty's, Red Oak (not Greensboro, I know), Pig Pounder, and I think there is one being built downtown.
Greensboro has a concentration of small breweries which is another thing that has possibly put the city on the radar for this project.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM

here are the cities according to Stone Brewing. I will say of the five cities, Greensboro has the best interstate network and connections (I-85, I-40, I-73/74) and is more centrally located along the east coast. Those two factors are big reasons FedEx chose Greensboro for its air hub btw. Stone Brewing looking for 15 acres and close access to interstate highways according to the mayor. Greensboro city officials showed the company 7 sites around the city.

Greensboro
Richmond
Norfolk
Cincinnati
Greenville, SC

on the topic of breweries, most people don't realize that Greensboro was first choice for a Busch Brewery and theme park (Busch Gardens). It was to be located where the Grandover Resort is located today. Unfortunately the land deal went bad and the company chose Williamsburg, VA instead. If it had been built in Greensboro, the brewery and theme park would have been located about a mile a way from Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe water park which was ironically called "Aqua Gardens" when it opened in 1984. The name almost immediately changed to Water Country USA before changing to Emerald Pointe and Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
here are the cities according to Stone Brewing. I will say of the five cities, Greensboro has the best interstate network and connections (I-85, I-40, I-73/74) and is more centrally located along the east coast. Those two factors are big reasons FedEx chose Greensboro for its air hub btw. Stone Brewing looking for 15 acres and close access to interstate highways according to the mayor. Greensboro city officials showed the company 7 sites around the city.

Greensboro
Richmond
Norfolk
Cincinnati
Greenville, SC

on the topic of breweries, most people don't realize that Greensboro was first choice for a Busch Brewery and theme park (Busch Gardens). It was to be located where the Grandover Resort is located today. Unfortunately the land deal went bad and the company chose Williamsburg, VA instead. If it had been built in Greensboro, the brewery and theme park would have been located about a mile a way from Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe water park which was ironically called "Aqua Gardens" when it opened in 1984. The name almost immediately changed to Water Country USA before changing to Emerald Pointe and Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe.
Once again, no reference sited. Why not list your reference?

Try adding Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Roanoke. http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...brewing-s.html

Everything always seems to be presented just a bit too rosy when it comes to Greensboro...leaving off those last 3 makes it all seem much more exciting doesn't it?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Once again, no reference sited. Why not list your reference?

Try adding Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Roanoke. Which other cities are on Stone Brewing?s shortlist? - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Everything always seems to be presented just a bit too rosy when it comes to Greensboro...leaving off those last 3 makes it all seem much more exciting doesn't it?

Don't you just love selective reading? You left out this fact about those three other cities you mentioned...

"Other cities that have been rumored to be on the shortlist — or at least cities which submitted requests for proposal"

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Stone isn't confirming which cities it's still considering, so we are all still in the dark. It would be a real win for Greensboro. Stone is a great company, and even a large craft brewery makes a far better addition to the city than a massive operation like Busch would.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
There has been a lot of rumors swirling...this one back in March...

SanDiegoVille.com: Is Stone Brewing Co. Heading to Wilmington, NC for its East Coast Brewing Location?

Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Lexington SC apparently also submitted proposals. But SC has some law in place that may keep them from going there.

Just because they came and looked at potential sites doesn't mean they ruled out others who submitted proposals...in Wilmington's case, they offered land and not a building, so they may not have had to go look at the site.

http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/hospita..._locales/11931

I would expect this to take some time if they are doing their due diligence.

Certainly nice that G-boro got a visit though.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Don't you just love selective reading? You left out this fact about those three other cities you mentioned...

"Other cities that have been rumored to be on the shortlist — or at least cities which submitted requests for proposal"
You love to post rumors...but only if they are in Greensboro's favor. You conveniently omit them in other cases.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You love to post rumors...but only if they are in Greensboro's favor. You conveniently omit them in other cases.
And you just love to nit pick.......nevermind the fact if Stone builds here W-S will benefit as well since some will make the drive to work at the facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point