Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:05 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,015,904 times

Advertisements

Brother-in-law lost his job last month. state has implimented a new 'improved" online site to register for UE, but it still took about 45 minutes to complete the process.

FYI, Wisconsin's official unemployment rate is 5.2%, meaning approx 11% of the workforce is unemployed or severely under-employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,049,510 times
sorry about the in law. I also have family in UE. If you can get thru the entire process online it isn't so bad. But for those who are about done, only to be told to call in and then complete the forms--those are the ones running into issues. Once they can get thru, then it is only a few minutes to finish up. But getting thru has been the problem. Bad enough someone loses their job ( even if only temporary ), but then to deal with this frustration only adds to the somber feelings. Local news staff also is trying to help people get these going. WI unemployment may not be at same levels as some other states, but it's still a record volume of people here. I'm thinking some of these systems just weren't designed for the # of cases being handled.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Over the past two decades, government (less so in Wisc than in most states, but still somewhat here) has tried to shirk the social bargain made between the classes after the last depression.

Hence, the difficulty with registering for UE.

When shipbuilding returns, so will in-laws work.
It had better be soon.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,045,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
Listen to yourself, Frankie. So basically, you are against a mother or father receiving benefits for their child, who clearly has some sort of disability, when they work full time? I'm assuming that you believe that a person who has a terminal illness should not get SSI if he/she is able to hold down a job one year prior to their death? Or perhaps you even have issues with a child drawing a double SSI benefit when they are disabled and also receiving survivor benefits?

If you have such an issue with adults, perhaps you should be quick to point the finger at the doctors who are so quick to disable someone who clearly is not disabled. Or perhaps you should judge the attorneys who pick up these cases to make a quick buck knowing that there is nothing wrong with their client physically.

Temporary or permanently disabled children should not be left out in these situation just because you, as a taxpayer, feel it's not right that they receive these benefits!
Your post is a bit alarming. Mountains out of mole hills. PLEASE do not make my post into something that it is not. If you need to vent on the issue, do not try to incorrectly interpret my post to suit that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Sad, predictable discussion.

For South Carolina, anyway.

Why people think covering care for a kid with disabilities or providing help so an adult with disabilities can work is somehow gaming the system is troubling on a number of levels.
Way to contribute to the discussion.

What grounds is there for getting employment benefits, and more benefits beyond that from the state? Aside from medical costs, what other things should the state pay for?

It would seem you either did not read anything I posted, or simply wish to cause argument - Something I am not particularly fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Over the past two decades, government (less so in Wisc than in most states, but still somewhat here) has tried to shirk the social bargain made between the classes after the last depression.

Hence, the difficulty with registering for UE.

When shipbuilding returns, so will in-laws work.
It had better be soon.
I would not count on the job situation improving anytime soon. Of course, if you feel this state is so wrong, you could of course move back to Wisconsin, but I think you'll miss the weather here!

On a final note, I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum or otherwise, but it makes me rather sad to see that most people do not look at more than one side of an issue before making a decision. Perhaps that is the real reason why we constantly elect crappy politicians, and why we are in this situation to begin with. Oh well, life isn't fair, and is far from perfect.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM

The "grounds" are simple: it is the moral, economically sound, and socially responsible thing to do.

As the depression controls the economy of all 50 states, you cannot move from it, and stay in-country.

Wisconsin's unemployment rate is below that of SC's so if to find a job (were that the only criteria) is the goal you are better up here, although it's not good- or even a tenable- situation anywhere. If you are a member of America's former middle class, that is.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 AM

543 posts, read 2,367,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
now if only the people laid off could actually get thru to the UE office to sign up for their bennies and keep some $$ coming in ( at least it's a big problem up here right now ). But that's another story...
I think the biggest issue concerning UE in SC would be Sanford. I heard last week that SC may run out of UE benefits by March.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler08 View Post
Hi,

My family and I are looking to move down to SC and I have one concern does anyone know how much sc gives baseline for SSI, I currently get Social Security income for myself and my 2 children and wonder how much things would change if i go to move down there.
Thank you all for your time.
Hi Wheeler08, if you are currently receiving SSD. now, then adding SSI., after you have become a resident (you have to live here for a certain amount of time first) then it is based on the income of the household, so it could vary greatly. But, since you are already getting the SSD. for you & your children, you would automatic qualify if your income is low enough, & little to no assets & after you have become a resident. And a word of good advice, SC. requires ANYONE that comes to this state that stays over 30 days, must register their plates on your automobile, or you WILL get a ticket! They want those taxes! But, it isn't to bad, and there's no vehicle inspection stickers required in this state. PS.*don't worry about all the "haters" that posted back to you, if you are handicapped then you are entitled to the help of SSA. & also you can go to Vocational Rehabilitation {VR} (it is in Conway also-if it is Horry County that you were possibly moving to?) They are a great help!>It doesn't take long at all, for the SSI., after you've become a resident (that may be 6 months to a year though, each state is different?) it is the SSD. that is a lengthy process, as you probably already know, many people don't understand the differences. If you are a single with children there is also AFDC. after you're a resident, that helps out for the temporary, if dad isn't paying support as they should. Hope this helped. God Bless!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM

130 posts, read 267,084 times
Default Better source of information

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler08 View Post
Hi,

My family and I are looking to move down to SC and I have one concern does anyone know how much sc gives baseline for SSI, I currently get Social Security income for myself and my 2 children and wonder how much things would change if i go to move down there.
Thank you all for your time.
Having worked for SSA and the state government, you really need to contact SSA, which administers the federal SSI program, and the SC Dept. of Social Services for best information re. state SSI programs.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
Lol I get Ssi I'm 28 have been for 9 years I have Tourette syndrome the Dr's and the school system bolth failed me that over medicaded me and the school liked me out of classes BC my vocal tics were so loud instead of helping me with a solution that thought telling me to go to the nurses office was best so I failed my 12th grade I tried working and going through life normal but someone always had a problem with what I was doing or how loud my vocal tic's where most jobs didn't want to hier me as well I even got told to leave a public restaurant because people didnt like the way I was acting but I couldn't help it its uncontrollabl so when people want to judge anybody for being on SSI they can screw themselves guess BC of people like that I have to get there tax paying dallers and after all the crap I went through growing up I'm not going to feel bad one bit........

Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 36,730 times
I am having similar questions. I am probably heading to NC but also considering SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina